PDA

View Full Version : Ignition troubles!!! Please help... just shut off...

stuntman_12
10-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Over a year ago I was riding with my friends and My 400ex sputtered then totally shut off giving no spark at all. A friend told me that it was the pick up coil beside the stator. So I replaced that... still no spark. I am now in a heavy curriculum at Auburn and have very limited time to try and fix. I haven't riden for well over a year and am missing it terribly. Any pointers on how to get the "spark-back" in my riding hobby????

Thanks guys!

matt14c
10-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Everything grounded properly? Ground from battery, ground from spark plug coil. Take both off the frame sand both the washer and the frame to make sure rust isnt effecting the contact. Does the neutral light come on and does the engine turnover when you hit start button?

It could be your switch box on your handlebars, fuse, bad plug, stator, worst case scenario a short someplace.

Have someone help you and hold a multimeter up to the spark plug could and when you hit the start button see if its getting power. Check both fuses back by your battery.

coreo5
10-25-2009, 10:54 PM
you wont be able to see if the spark plug wire has power with a multi meter. maybe im mis understanding your question. check for 12 volts at the coil. ohm out the coil. check for 12 volts at the coil first and then let us know if you have that or not.