PDA

View Full Version : Ride height changed on me

MtnEX
10-23-2009, 10:38 PM
OK, since I am too sore to ride again today, I figured I'd do what I was thinking of and drop the ride height on the front a little and see how it felt with a level frame.

So I re-checked the ride height before getting started.... just to make sure.
I've lost a little weight so I thought it might be closer than I thought.

I'm down to 7" at the pegs now, and nothing has changed.
Air pressure is still the same, etc...

Front is still 7.5".....

Just break-in on the spring?
Or is this one of those stupid shocks that changes in compression/rebound makes that large of an effect on the ride height?

dustin_j
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
What was it before? Are you standing on the pegs or sitting? How are you taking the measurements? Make sure all your tires are at race/ride pressure and the gound is flat/level. Has the ride quality changed lately? What is your sag measurement?

External comp/rebound adjusters should have minimal effect on ride height. Are your preload nuts/adjusters tight?

MtnEX
10-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
What was it before? Are you standing on the pegs or sitting? How are you taking the measurements? Make sure all your tires are at race/ride pressure and the gound is flat/level. Has the ride quality changed lately? What is your sag measurement?

External comp/rebound adjusters should have minimal effect on ride height. Are your preload nuts/adjusters tight?

Ride height was 7 1/4" at the pegs before.

Now it is down to 7".

I measure sitting.

Nothing else has changed, and frankly I don't know how long this as been lower like this.

This may have been why it was soooo hard for me to finally dial the "push" out in certain corners.

Ride quality has been the same though as far as feel.

Not sure what my sag is now... probably too much. It was 5" before.

Preload adjusters have not moved.

I just haven't messed with it or checked over it anymore lately. I've got poison oak/ivy/sumac blisters between my fingers. So I can hardly click/type. No wrenching until it goes away.

:mad:

dustin_j
10-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
I just haven't messed with it or checked over it anymore lately. I've got poison oak/ivy/sumac blisters between my fingers. So I can hardly click/type. No wrenching until it goes away.

:mad:

Sounds like a good excuse to take it easy for awhile, ouch. How long has it been inbetween ride height measurements? Are you sure you are sitting in the same position? Is someone else taking the measurement while you are sitting there, or did you rig up a way to measure while you're sitting?

I'd just set it up how you want it and ride on, but keep track of it to see if you notice any more changes.

MtnEX
10-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Gave me time to think too...

I realized I set this thing up initially on brand-hammer new tires.

It's not that the tires have now worn down...
I've just probably broken in and limbered up the hard 6 ply casings on the GNCC rears... and being that they are a roundy-shaped tire... well I would say that is a good bit of the squat.

Moral of the story I guess is that I should have gotten the 21" version maybe.