PDA

View Full Version : 1987 XR600R- Sell or part out?

IcutMetl
10-23-2009, 10:37 PM
A couple weekends ago, I bought a 1987 Honda XR600 off of Craigslist for $650. Spur of the moment; figured heck, can't really go wrong for that price if it at the very least just starts and rides and needs a reasonable amount of work.

Not regretting the decision, but think I might turn it back into money. I'm a bit of a detail guy, and in my opinion- It's in need of some work; I changed the oil & filter, adjusted the valves, and cleaned out the carbs a bit- threw some fresh gas in it. it'll start on the first kick now and rides ok, but still smokes- needs a bore/piston, head rebuild, and close look at the transmission. On one hand, I thought...geez...I could easily bore/hone it to a 630cc 11:1 piston, Hotcam stage 1, new cam chain, valves, springs, seals, and whatever else, throw an exhaust on it, maintenance items, and a Baja Designs dual-sport kit, and have a simple, wicked streetable thumper.

But then I thought...well I already have a pretty nice 250R now that I could use some new suspension on, etc....OR I could do something more responsable and sink some money into tooling that I need for my machines that might actually begin to make me some money at some point.

So....do I throw it up on ebay and go for a fair profit, or sell it for parts piece by piece??

One_Bad_400
10-23-2009, 10:44 PM
i wouldnt try to part it out. its not like a 250/450R that there is high demand on parts. not everyone is looking for 87' XR600 parts. and if they are they are looking to pay $5 buck for the part. i would ether make it a little street legal fun or sell it again whole