PDA

View Full Version : which cdi?

bloodswet&gears
10-23-2009, 07:18 PM
whats your opinion on which cdi is reliable?

bullet225ho
10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
I just went through this delima myself.

I bought a 250R that would start, and then run and cut out and then not run. Let it set for a day and It would fire up and idle great.......only to bog out when trying to go through the gears.

Ended up being the CDI box. I have searched and searched online and ended up buying an OEM CDI from ebay. Bike runs good and strong now with 18 thousanths gap on the plug. pulls real good.

There are aftermarkets and from what I've read some of these will work and some won't.

I went with my gut and may have got lucky..... but OEM for me.

bloodswet&gears
10-24-2009, 09:36 AM
thanks for the reply bullet. sounds like what i was getting. but the wires came out of the connector from the pick up. i couldnt tell they were diff colors cause the cloth coating was so dirty. i think i wired them up backwards. it ran for about 30 - 60 sec and now it wont spark. i been looking for one but didnt know if any of the other brands like amr, ricks or dynatek are as reliable as oem. i am scared to buy a used one. 40 bucks more and i can get one of those aftermarkets. was the one you got used?

bullet225ho
10-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I took a chance and went with a seller on Ebay with good feedback and got a used one. It was $50 to my door.

Make sure they have a return policy and look at feedback. I sell a ton of stuff on ebay and buy lots too. I've had good luck so far with all products.....with that said....shipping on some items takes longer than expected.

Entry Speed
10-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Did the seller you bought yours from have the CDI's for each specific year?

I've heard that the 86/87 CDI's have a different timing curve from the '88's

I'm looking for an '88 CDI

Swiper77
10-24-2009, 08:47 PM
I have 2 1 '86 and one '88 '89 I will guarantee both to work will ship either for $40 pm me if ur interested

bloodswet&gears
10-25-2009, 07:22 PM
which part of the ignition or motor decides which cdi will work. is it an electrical part or mechanical part. is there a good thread or website to expain this? it looks like by the wiring diagram that all should work elec. but the timing and curve will be different. would i be wrong to say 86/87 bottom end = 86/87 cdi. 88/89 bottom end =88/89 cdi. ???????? somebody please solve all the confusion and post a sticky for cdi

mxduner
10-28-2009, 12:26 AM
i have heard the pick up on the flywheels were the difference, or the flywheel keyway location. What i gathered, was the early ones have to go together, as do the late model parts