PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a Ground Up Build

racerx573
10-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey guys, I am considering piecing together a 450R from the ground up.

Getting a frame and building from there.

I don't have the cash/credit to buy a stock bike and build it up.

Being that I am an old school 250R guy and used to building bikes from scratch, I am considering doing the same with a 450R.

Any concerns about reliability doing this?

I've already got a Laeger's Pro Trax, Walsh Savior, Axis F/R shocks, nerf bars, hood, and a few other parts, so getting a rolling chassis together would be quick.

I figured I could build it up as I got the money.

Anyone else done this???

55stone
10-23-2009, 06:45 PM
i havent done this man but it sounds like a good idea... i have been thinking about doing something along the same lines as this..i want a basketcase 450r and start from there... you can get them cheap that way and already have most of the parts but since you already have most of the stuff for the rolling chassis a build starting with a frame and working your way up the more money you got is a good idea, real good... i hope you start the build

racerx573
10-23-2009, 06:54 PM
I mean, hell, 450R parts are dirt cheap on ebay. East Coast has just about everything I could need as far as odds-and-ends... Only thing is I am not too familiar with the bike, and would need to do some research as far as little parts and what parts you can use from what years. I have the 250R based bikes mastered and could build one with my eyes closed.

ECA also sells motors for around $1500 that they put new top ends and bearings in.

My goal is to build a full race ready 450R for under $7000. Right now I am around $3300 with all my aftermarket parts. I

I think it can be done. Probly for even less.

spanky101
10-23-2009, 07:06 PM
It sounds very doable. I say go for it man! Another good option is finding a bike that is in rough shape and go from there but I like the ground up build idea better!

racerx573
10-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I'd rather go ground up with quality used parts than finding a busted up bike. Easily done.

kodymx13
10-24-2009, 10:28 AM
its not a 450r but i did the same with my hybrid. i now have a jb framed crf with protrax front end for under 6k. wouldnt have done it ony other way.

racerx573
10-24-2009, 10:45 AM
That's what I've always done with my old 250R's and hybrid.