PDA

View Full Version : 2003 400ex

honda400ex2003
10-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Im just wondering what you guys think about a 2003 400ex that is mint for 2400? It has less than 1000 miles on it for sure, my neighbors own it now and it sits now so they are talking about getting rid of it. the tires are original with well over half of the tread left on them. I have to do some checking on KBB or NADA yet but figured i would see what they are going for. thanks Steve

tri5ron
10-23-2009, 06:06 PM
that's not too bad of a price for a "mint" condition '03.
they can be found for a few hundred cheaper, (not "Mint" though), and you dont know how hard they've been ridden, or how well they've been maintained either.
This bike you have a history on, and you know how your neighbors care for their stuff. that's worth a couple of hundred in peace of mind alone.
I say it's probably a pretty fair deal.
my .02 cents

TRXRacer1
10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Not a bad price but if I was spending $2400 on a quad I'd probably get something a little more modern tech. Picked up an 05 Preddy near mint with a full PC system on it this summer for $2600 and it was just getting broke in enough for it's first service. Stock for stock light years ahead of my old ex. My neighbor picked up a sweet 05 450r for $2300 too. Same thing, way more for the money.

IDK, I'm glad I got what I did for mine with what's all out there. Don't get me wrong, I love the 400 powerplant. So much so that I sold my CR250 to get an XR400. Just couldn't stop playing with that engine cold turkey! haha

honda400ex2003
10-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Tri, trx thanks for the info, I have to think about this a lot since i dont have an extra 2400 just hangin out, i would have to scrape to find it. I have wanted to get a stock one for a while just to have one for an extra and to play on at school. it would be a start to my collection i guess. lol. thats why i want to get it. lol. steve

TRXRacer1
10-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey Steve on an unrelated note I cleared out the PM box if you need any more info on the ST project.

honda400ex2003
10-23-2009, 06:48 PM
sounds cool thanks. I was wondering if you had any dB estimates and what you thought may be a good starting place to make it around 91 or 92 decibels with the disks. Am i correct in thinking that with less disks it is quieter and has more low end or is it backwards? did you take it for a ride or anything to see how it compares to the regular tip too. Thanks again for the pics, that definitely looks like it will work out good. Steve

guenther
10-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I paid $2200 for mine this summer and it was like brand new with these upgrades:

2002 Honda TRX400EX
Bored to 416cc
87mm 11:1 High compression
Stage 1 Hot Cam
White Brothers exhaust
Pro Flow with K&N air filter
AC Racing Pro Peg nerfs
AC Racing bumper
Full skid plate

Not hardly a nick on the original plastics, original tires with 75% tread all around, and original battery. This guy had 7 quads, 2 snowmobiles, 2 motorcycles, a boat, gigantic building to keep everything in full of tools, and you could eat off the floors. I walked out of there with a quad and some serious wood! The only thing I've done is add a tether, sold the stock tires and bought GBC X-Rex all around ($200 difference), and a CCP stabilizer. I'm having C&D rebuild a set of 450R shocks this winter for GNCC. For less than $3000, I've got a better than new ride to race the crap out of.

TRXRacer1
10-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
sounds cool thanks. I was wondering if you had any dB estimates and what you thought may be a good starting place to make it around 91 or 92 decibels with the disks. Am i correct in thinking that with less disks it is quieter and has more low end or is it backwards? did you take it for a ride or anything to see how it compares to the regular tip too. Thanks again for the pics, that definitely looks like it will work out good. Steve With the discs there is a trade off like that but it's not as noticable as one might think. When the bike had only 6 it was super quiet like stock quiet but it pretty much felt like stock power. You're right the bottom felt a little stronger then if it had an OEM exhaust but overall felt held back. Just 2 more discs made a noticable difference and after several changes is seemed like there was nothing but noise to gain for my stock engine after 11. It's quieter then my T4 was and feels slightly better too.

I just had my 400 at a place where they check for db's at the gate and all I can say is the 11 disc pack was low enough they didn't even pull out the meter and they have a 94 limit. I'm curious too on what it actually tests out at maybe my local DNR office would be able to test it.

honda400ex2003
10-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Sweet thanks man. I am looking to get around 92 decibels for the trails around here. But then i can switch it back when i want too since it is only around 95 with the regular screen and the cap with good packing in it. That is good info though since i dont get hassled around here but i still dont like to be at 95 decibels. i am sure you know that 96 is the legal around here so we are both good anyway. i just like to be safer than sorry. lol. steve

TRXRacer1
10-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
Sweet thanks man. I am looking to get around 92 decibels for the trails around here. But then i can switch it back when i want too since it is only around 95 with the regular screen and the cap with good packing in it. That is good info though since i dont get hassled around here but i still dont like to be at 95 decibels. i am sure you know that 96 is the legal around here so we are both good anyway. i just like to be safer than sorry. lol. steve The happier people are about the noise and actions of our quads the better we are for having open trails. That old T4 I had was just repacked with the spark arrestor screen in. The dude I sold it to got a $225 ticket on the Monroe trail for hitting 98 db a month ago. The DNR officer said he could have gone upto $400 if he wanted. That pipe was the old 3.5" but still, it's supposed to be quieter then that. Never hurts be on the safe side!

honda400ex2003
10-23-2009, 07:59 PM
agreed, mine has never been overly loud like that though. It is quieter than a lot of ones that i hear around. I make sure it is repacked every 40-50 hours in the summer with the moose stuff. I can definitely tell when it starts to get loud. steve

bergoff
10-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
The happier people are about the noise and actions of our quads the better we are for having open trails. That old T4 I had was just repacked with the spark arrestor screen in. The dude I sold it to got a $225 ticket on the Monroe trail for hitting 98 db a month ago. The DNR officer said he could have gone upto $400 if he wanted. That pipe was the old 3.5" but still, it's supposed to be quieter then that. Never hurts be on the safe side! i'm just curious on what pipe you are running. i ride on the same trial by monroe sometimes. but my r4 is way to loud and looking at a e-series or a supertrap. thanks guys. sorry to highjack.

TRXRacer1
10-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by bergoff
i'm just curious on what pipe you are running. i ride on the same trial by monroe sometimes. but my r4 is way to loud and looking at a e-series or a supertrap. thanks guys. sorry to highjack. I've got a 4" supertrapp racing series but they don't make it for the EX. The closest thing would be a CT Racing pipe.

http://www.ctracing.com/400EXPipeRace.htm

honda400ex2003
10-25-2009, 09:03 AM
This is the modified T4 that trx made for me to check out, we have been talking about this set up with the supertrapp disks mounted to a T4.

http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/tt/superPC4inch.jpg

I think it is an awesome setup and will be working on this setup this spring. Steve

TRXRacer1
10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Worked really well too. The 3 bolt holes on the T4 line right up with the pattern on the 4" discs. I'll probably make it permanent on that pipe.

If I didn't already have the T4 on that quad I'd just get the CT.

bergoff
10-25-2009, 11:53 AM
i like it. i have some super trap disks in the garage i just found a new project thanks guys. we will see how close they match to a r4.

guenther
10-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by bergoff
i like it. i have some super trap disks in the garage i just found a new project thanks guys. we will see how close they match to a r4.

Let me know how they work out on the R4. My neighbors are not happy campers when I lay on the throttle so I'm looking to quiet it up.

bergoff
10-25-2009, 07:23 PM
it would be possible but none of the holes line up. you would need to drill and tap them. it wouldnt be that tough but there is the ridge that the cap sits in.