PDA

View Full Version : hot cams

eakes_effect
10-23-2009, 01:27 PM
I was lookin into putting some cams in my 06 z and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. I run msws and like to climb hills. any info would be greatly appreciated

icanzu
10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by eakes_effect
I was lookin into putting some cams in my 06 z and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. I run msws and like to climb hills. any info would be greatly appreciated

I don't know what msws is but if you're all stock I'd say you're gonna like the hot cams. They are good and torquey...and if I'm not mistaken the new style have more low to mid and the old style a little more mid to top.

eakes_effect
10-26-2009, 02:54 PM
I dont know the difference between the old one and the new ones but i definately want to pick it up because the 450s are killing me on the straight aways. And msws is just woods racing basically. Thanks for the info I will try and find the old ones and news when i get some time to search for them.

icanzu
10-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by eakes_effect
I dont know the difference between the old one and the new ones but i definately want to pick it up because the 450s are killing me on the straight aways. And msws is just woods racing basically. Thanks for the info I will try and find the old ones and news when i get some time to search for them.

There's a guy who's forum name I don't recall right off hand that is selling a set of the more aggressive old style hotcams for like 170 bux on Z400 Central now. Check the For Sale forum there and snag 'em. I'm real sure that you'll like them.

If you don't have an FCR I would definitely consider that even before the cams though...or better yet BOTH!

k2thej88
10-27-2009, 05:53 PM
seen a coule of u guys referring to an fcr what exactly is that?

drzoo2
10-28-2009, 05:03 PM
My opinion on new vs. old HC since I've had both in my '06. I have a full exhaust and open airbox. Stck carb. Honestly I wasn't real happy with the old style. They ripped topend. No doubt about it. I completely lost all my bottom end. Bumping the compression is suppose to help. Adding a revbox would have helped also. They are really better suited for MX where your pinned all the time. For trails and all around the new style are way better. Better power all around. Just much easier to ride.

I raced a stock Z except a slip-on. He got me out of the hole because I spun out. I had to make up two quad lengths. I ended up at least two ahead and I'm way heavier than the other guy. Definitely faster than stock cams.

Long story short. What ever fits your riding style.

Btw the old style should be installed with a beefier valve train. SS valves and heavier springs.

FCR is a pumper carb. Usually comes stock on YFZs.

z

icanzu
10-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by drzoo2
My opinion on new vs. old HC since I've had both in my '06. I have a full exhaust and open airbox. Stck carb. Honestly I wasn't real happy with the old style. They ripped topend. No doubt about it. I completely lost all my bottom end. Bumping the compression is suppose to help. Adding a revbox would have helped also. They are really better suited for MX where your pinned all the time. For trails and all around the new style are way better. Better power all around. Just much easier to ride.

I raced a stock Z except a slip-on. He got me out of the hole because I spun out. I had to make up two quad lengths. I ended up at least two ahead and I'm way heavier than the other guy. Definitely faster than stock cams.

Long story short. What ever fits your riding style.

Btw the old style should be installed with a beefier valve train. SS valves and heavier springs.

FCR is a pumper carb. Usually comes stock on YFZs.

z

That's good info about the difference in the new and old style from someone who used both.

I was considering the new and had a bunch of people recommend that I go with the old style because of my build- FCR-carbureted 440 with 13.5:1...... I guess it was to get the better mid to top from the cams and the bottom to mid from the motor set up...still wouldn't mind even a little more at the bottom though...