PDA

View Full Version : Break in oil?

monkeydude36020
10-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I have heard many storys about the break in period concerning the type of oil and when you should change it. But I want to know from you guys, whats the best type of break in oil? Ive heard honda makes an actual break in oil. And I know not to use synthetic. Ive never really changed oil on a quad except once so I dont know much about it. After the break in period is it ok to use synthetic? Can I use regular car oil? If so what weight?

Thanks

Wheelie
10-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Don't use synthetic for break in. Personally I use Honda GN-4 for break in.

Run the quad for about 30 minutes, change oil and filter, run quad for another hour and change the oil again. Next oil change, synthetic should be ok.

jasonwayne222
10-23-2009, 10:00 PM
only run Motorcycle Approved oil{MA} will be on the backof the bottle, u can get it from the autoparts store, reg. synthetic isnt good enough because motorcycle oil is designed to lubricate the transmission gears not just the motor.

and break it in using the honda oil. u can run more than 30 min. on the first tank but it wont hurt to change it early just ride it how u normally do with a few short bursts. dont full throttle for too long for the first hour or two. really after about 2 or 3 hours your motor will be fine to ride without concern. just dont let it idle too much when u first crank it.

TRXRacer1
10-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222
reg. synthetic isnt good enough because motorcycle oil is designed to lubricate the transmission gears not just the motor. You're giving the oil companies far too much credit if you think there's anything special that helps the transmission in motorcycle and ATV oil.

jasonwayne222
10-24-2009, 08:31 AM
oh you must be a chemist or something so i guess u know to say something like that.

just be smart and run what was designed for it

rrguy
10-24-2009, 09:32 AM
there are a few more companies providing break-in oil. Additives that help seat the rings & protect new rotating parts like the cams from scoring. Break-in oil is lower in Detergent additives.

Off hand> Royal Purple & John deere

Synthetic/mineral base or not its the additives & friction modifiers like zinc & the amount determine if its good for breakin or if it will make your clutch slip etc... If you have a wet clutch Stay away from automotive Energy Conserving oil usually 5-20 5-30 they contain different additives that can make your clutch slip.

Places I can remember off hand

Royal purple
John deere

TRXRacer1
10-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222
oh you must be a chemist or something so i guess u know to say something like that.

just be smart and run what was designed for it Don't need to be a chemist, just have to educate yourself a little. When it comes to oil hang out at bobistheoilguy dot com for a while. You might just learn something.

dalejiw25
10-24-2009, 10:39 AM
The how to forum ... How to: break in an engine.

brian76708
10-24-2009, 01:40 PM
use cheap oil IMO u only run it for a limited time and it does not have to be atv specific. just dont use synthetic and you are fine.

Muzzgit
10-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't think it is a matter of using "break in oil". I think it is more important to change the oil and filter after a short while and make sure you use a good quality oil.

For the first few tanks of fuel don't hammer it,

rrguy
10-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Engine don't care about what we think or what use to work. Do like TRXRacer1 mentioned do some reading check out more than one source. Most methods work but find out what works best for your motor, if some dork at the dealer has not already tried to break it in for you? lol

Oil & engine Technology is not the same as it was 10 years ago. Newer alloys of rings & plated cylinders are harder than they use to be so break-in is key. Thats why some motors come broke in. Oils have more additive to prevent wear but not always what you need!

It is good idea to change the oil for & after break in.