quadfmx
10-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Here is the list im trying to choose between:
Curtis Sparks
Baldwin
Moto-Xperts
DASA

Pros and Cons
Curtis Sparks - Excellent service for years and Curtis still does his own porting from my knowledge:
Mark Baldwin - He was very intregral with 450R back in 04 when Tim Farr was racing it and I feel he is very knowledgeable also
Moto-Xperts- Ive heard good things but they do not have the long term track record as the other two builders . Ive talked to Toby and feel he knows his stuff, But price is not much different between Sparks and Moto-Xperts, I cant remember Baldwin's Pricing-off hand

I mean Borich was running a Sparks engine in his 450R and, It served him well but DASA has also put some great engine kits together for
Joe Byrd.

Im looking for a mid range motor for woods GNCC racing but i want it to be able to handle the tight stuff and the open trails.

I should probably have GT thunder on my list. So please let me know opinions,

Edit ---
one more thing, i have considered taking down my engine myself and just sending in the parts needed to build, I have a mechanic who takes care of my race and practice bikes and it would save 5-600 but I hate to cheap out and I know if some thing went wrong with the engine even if we assembled it perfectly they would assume it was our error with the engine failure

spanky101
10-23-2009, 06:20 AM
I would go with Baldwin personally. They have such a great backround with the Honda motor it's unbelieveable. You cannot forget that he had adam mcgill running their engine package while he was still on Honda

flyboy450r
10-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Rossier I think they are the best. I mean sparks the rest you kinda are paying for the names. Theres only one way to build a engine its who does it better. Is it worth a few grand for a sticker? Not ripping on any of them but check rossier out

Balaz_73*00
10-23-2009, 08:16 AM
MXP does alot of work for the gncc guys. I'd check them out, Toby knows his stuff. I think he's offering 10% off engine builds right now before the many winter rebuilds come in.

spanky101
10-23-2009, 10:19 AM
I think you should also factor in customer service and who stands behind their product. If you don't like the motor, what are they goin to do abou it, etc...

eastside 400
10-23-2009, 04:28 PM
sparks motors usually take several months as well as baldwins. ive run 2 baldwin MX motors so far and loved them, never had a problem and they started right up and kept running, took about 3-4 months to get it back though

rollie
10-23-2009, 05:31 PM
i would go get a manual from honda, send the head out to any one of those guys, get it ported then put it all together yourself! save some $

300ex mxracer
10-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by rollie
i would go get a manual from honda, send the head out to any one of those guys, get it ported then put it all together yourself! save some $

exactly what i did

slosh13
10-23-2009, 06:42 PM
If you want the best service and a guy who knows his stuff, call RAGE ATV. By far the best hands down and the fastest motor out of all of them. I have had Sparks national and a Baldwin Race and the RAGE is by far the fastest and most reliable. MXP I havent tried, but I have heard great things about Toby and his work from others on this site. Ask Dave400ex, he always has killer builds with MXP motor mods.

spanky101
10-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Slosh makes a very good point with Dee at Rage ATV. Rage has done some killer motors! Look at Natalies motors from the honda days, some epic motors thats for sure! You really cant go wrong with any of these guys youve mentioned, just get a quality built motor and have fun!

Ruf Racing
10-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Guys you do realize, racing and winning is 90% rider. Natalie could have won using my motor. lol!:D

eastside 400
10-24-2009, 11:15 AM
no im positive he couldnt, racing is mostly rider but the thread was asking what motor builder, theres comes a point where you need more motor, i run A and pro am locally and i need a fast motor even, my practice bike has just a crf cam and 12.5 piston and its hard to keep up

Butter
10-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
no im positive he couldnt, racing is mostly rider but the thread was asking what motor builder, theres comes a point where you need more motor, i run A and pro am locally and i need a fast motor even, my practice bike has just a crf cam and 12.5 piston and its hard to keep up

X2!! All the names mentioned are awesome, but I love my Rossier engine. Makes great power all around, never felt like I was at a disadvantage. But don't forget to also run whatever ignition and carb that the engine builders build the engine for. If its an '04-'05 if they build the engine to run a FCR carb, you gotta get one. Also if they want another ignition to really get the most out of it, like a Dynatec or Vortex. Mix matched stuff will never work well, but get everything that works together, and you'll have one fast bike...

Yo Chris, don't forget that D6 has some of the fastest riders around. So you running A and Pro Am around here would most likely running Pro and dominating at alot of other places. :devil:

DEERCHOOPER
10-24-2009, 06:42 PM
there is also venom performance, tru-way racing and many others.

best thing to do is, call them all and talk to them.
tell them what you plan on doing with this quad, what you would like to see and get from them. what is there thoughts on the build and what would they do. what if something happens how could it be resolved?

talk to them and see who you like, how did they answer your question. like trying a pair of shoes on.

KEVIN132
10-24-2009, 07:32 PM
BCS!!!!! IN MY LINK!!

HoleshotR15
10-24-2009, 09:38 PM
BCS RIGHTT!!!! They are a joke! I know 2 guys plus myself that spent over 2500 there and were RIPPED OFF! I had my motor on my 05 done there, Jay, the owner went ovr everything with me and my father. At the end of the season quad was torn down, took the head off, COMPLETELY STOCK head valves and the same cam (HRC) was in there when i brought it to them. I also paid for a complete bottom end rebuild who knows if that was redone, didnt tear intot the bottom end. I will never give them the time of day again. Taking parts of peoples quads and replacing them with others and charging for work/parts that have never been intstalled/done, is a SCAM stay away from BSC. End of story. Yes they build SOME good bikes but I would not take my chances.

KEVIN132
10-25-2009, 12:47 PM
well show the slip that says you paid for headwork,cam whatever and then you have a case. i know ALOT of BCS riders that have never have been lied to or cheated...
if you have a leg to stand on you would have told jay to his face your issue and i know for a fact he would never let it go without being taken care of. you know every builder is not perfect but if not talked to about a problem it can never be fixed.
let me guess your new builder has never had a problem or unhappy customer..:eek2: its how stuff is taken care of when a problem arrises that is just as important as someone that supposedly can get you more hp for less.
talk to BCS and you will no that mike is def wrong...:macho

10-25-2009, 01:57 PM
i wouldent spend all the $ on getting a motor built. get a manual as stated above. you can do the head your self if u have some mechanical intelagence.

HoleshotR15
10-25-2009, 02:58 PM
How would I do that? Anyone could just bring him a stock head and hrc cam that they bought of ebay or even this site and say you scammed me. It was a year and a few months later until I found out. Then sold the quad. So where am I at now? Just to let everyone know what my experience has been. Thats what these forums are for right? Just like having a buyer/seller feedback list.
-Before I even knew about the mishap w. the motor, I sent a sponsorship resume to BCS, they accepted great, nothing big, wasn't looking for anything free but a discount cant hurt right? Was called about a month later by BCS saying I get a free graphics kid and such. Hey cool right! 2 weeks later, I get another call and i was informed I had to pay full price for the kit..and if i didnt use the graphics, i couldn't be sponsored? I even offered to PAY EXTRA for colors that matched my quad. No offense to you kev, just stating my interaction.

Dave400ex
10-25-2009, 02:59 PM
The first question is, what are you looking at having done? A full tear down, the head ported and redone, top end rebuild, etc. Also where your located could make a difference. MXP has a very strong presence in GNCC right now. I'm sure Toby could get you what you want.

BadinBlack
10-26-2009, 07:54 AM
i would only run dasa stuff in my bikes. Dan at dasa really knows what he is doing. his heads flow great and his intake/exhausts are the best out there also... i would seriously give him a call to see what he recommends for your bike. tell him Aldo/Badinblack sent you, he will hook you up...