PDA

View Full Version : Sproket upgrade please?????

Jdev3407
10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
ok my chain is shot and my stock 05 sprokets are worn and i wanna whole new upgrade i dont wanna spend crazy money i ride alot of hill climbs and stuff so i was thinking dropping a tooth in the front sproket but is the stock gearing for an 05 400ex 14/39??? and what are some good durable brands so i dont have to replace them alot and whats a good oring chain and what sites can i find this stuff please???

b.lee
10-22-2009, 05:34 PM
www.magicracing.com
DID O-ring chains are the way to go.
Sunstar Sprockets

(MAKE SURE not to buy Aluminum sprokets, they are weak)

slightlybent47
10-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I agree the steel ones are the way to go.

Go with a stock one just like the one your replacing if you like the way it is. After all it's an 05 and it's lasted 4 years, thats about as good as it gets. Mine is a 07 and I'm on my third chain and sprockets.

dalejiw25
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I'd go with the best roller chain you can afford and some good steel sprockets. IMO o-ring chains are overrated and they suck. they never lay flat,they always look kinked. and who needs the added friction of the O-ring itself. and you got 4yrs. outta your stock roller that's hard to beat.
Pretty much says it all.

slightlybent47
10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I agree with the O ring chain being overrated, I have a regular non o ring chain and i like it.

Yes get the best chain you can afford.
The cheep ones stretch and don't last.

TRXRacer1
10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
No matter what chain you end up with, you can't beat Primary drive for sprockets at RMATV. $30 gets you a quality steel set. Their chains aren't all bad either. The gold x-ring has lasted me just as long as any high dollar name brand. Same could be said about their gold roller too. Primary Drive chain lube is all I use now and almost all of my riding group has switched too. It's cheap, does a good job and isn't so sticky that the chain is always loaded with crap like some of the "name brand" lubes end up doing.

Just a note about o or x ring chains. If your chain doesn't lay flat easily then you need to switch lubes. You need the right lube for the right job and just because it empties your wallet that doesn't mean it's good.

honda400ex2003
10-24-2009, 01:19 PM
i also like my x ring gold DID. I use with renthal sprockets with it and it has worked great for a few years now. i drive through everything. steve

Wheelie
10-24-2009, 01:40 PM
DID X-Ring chain is all I will use on my machine. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny.