PDA

View Full Version : can i put the new yfz450r shocks on a 2006 yfz longtravel suspension??.

florentino
10-22-2009, 12:04 AM
gime all your input. i whant to hear any mods that you can do .
so i know the r shocks are like 3 inches longer than the old ones. i wonder if any one tried this yet.

daddio
10-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I tried it on our Holz a-arms...... It fit, but the YFZR shocks are way too soft.

florentino
10-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by daddio
I tried it on our Holz a-arms...... It fit, but the YFZR shocks are way too soft.
dit you try to adjust the shocks. did you jump on them? soft is a good thing

fast_man58
10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Overall length is just one of the many factors you need to account for. Just because the R shocks might be the uncompressed length you need, its not to say the compressed length will be correct. Not to mention that the spring rate and valving will more than likely be off.

daddio
10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by florentino
dit you try to adjust the shocks. did you jump on them? soft is a good thing

No........ I just sat on the bike and 80% of the suspension was used up.

florentino
10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by fast_man58
Overall length is just one of the many factors you need to account for. Just because the R shocks might be the uncompressed length you need, its not to say the compressed length will be correct. Not to mention that the spring rate and valving will more than likely be off.

its worth a try. its all about testing you will never know if you dont try. i have elkas and dont want fox. cause of the prize.

fast_man58
10-26-2009, 05:52 PM
its worth a try. its all about testing you will never know if you dont try. i have elkas and dont want fox. cause of the prize.

You dont have to try things to figure out what works and doesnt. Find the specs you need based on your arms. Then measure up the shocks your considering using. Anything can be slapped together and work, but working right is a whole other story.

florentino
10-26-2009, 05:52 PM
No........ I just sat on the bike and 80% of the suspension was used up.
so you are said is too soft but you did not rode the bike??
theres guys that will never get fox shocks working the way they should. you have to play with the shock. i raced with the stock shocks and did good

fast_man58
10-26-2009, 05:59 PM
so you are said is too soft but you did not rode the bike??
theres guys that will never get fox shocks working the way they should. you have to play with the shock. i raced with the stock shocks and did good

No ones going to argue with you here. Some simple kinematics studies will show you that the stock springs on those shocks will be too soft for any long travel arm due to the increased leverage. Its not to say that you cant get the shocks re sprung and setup for your weight.

florentino
10-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by fast_man58
You dont have to try things to figure out what works and doesnt. Find the specs you need based on your arms. Then measure up the shocks your considering using. Anything can be slapped together and work, but working right is a whole other story.
i will do this test next week myself. and let you know

10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
fail.

daddio
10-27-2009, 07:45 AM
I didn't put the YFZR stock shocks on the Holz set-up because I wanted to ride it, I only did it to see if they would work for a back up. They were so soft, I was afraid to ride it. The lengths and travel seem to be ok, they just need stiffer springs.

What we did do, was take the evols off of the YFZ and put them on our YFZR. With just a couple adjustments, they are working great on the R.

florentino
10-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I didn't put the YFZR stock shocks on the Holz set-up because I wanted to ride it, I only did it to see if they would work for a back up. They were so soft, I was afraid to ride it. The lengths and travel seem to be ok, they just need stiffer springs.

What we did do, was take the evols off of the YFZ and put them on our YFZR. With just a couple adjustments, they are working great on the R.
there is alot types of long travel a arms . some have the shock inward some out , the makes it inward soft out hard. but you should try it .. adjust the shocks hard all the way . and play with the settings after that. gime me a real opinion. i am always looking out side the box thanks. i dont want people to say no, i want people to try and then tell me how it work. one thing i know is that alot of people are puting long travel fox elkas and so, on a stock r

daddio
10-28-2009, 07:20 AM
there is alot types of long travel a arms . some have the shock inward some out , the makes it inward soft out hard. but you should try it .. adjust the shocks hard all the way . and play with the settings after that. gime me a real opinion. i am always looking out side the box thanks. i dont want people to say no, i want people to try and then tell me how it work. one thing i know is that alot of people are puting long travel fox elkas and so, on a stock r

I don't have to try it. I know a thing or two about shocks, and I can tell that there isn't enough adjustment in the stock YFZR shocks to make them work on Holz a-arms for any rider, even if they are very light, without putting heavier springs on them.

You can have the stock YFZR shocks re-worked to be acceptable, but I don't need to.

florentino
10-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't have to try it. I know a thing or two about shocks, and I can tell that there isn't enough adjustment in the stock YFZR shocks to make them work on Holz a-arms for any rider, even if they are very light, without putting heavier springs on them.

You can have the stock YFZR shocks re-worked to be acceptable, but I don't need to.

thanks for nothing .. maybe someone else will help. yes they may not work maybe. on your a arms maybe some one else will have better input.

florentino
11-06-2009, 10:46 PM
i just put the r shocks on a plust 2 a arm regular travel and change the shock position . they are 18 inches long but they work good on a front end for 17 inch shocks. i havent rode it yet butt i will record it on my go pro cam. and i will take many bikes to do some testing.

florentino
11-06-2009, 11:00 PM
here some pics