PDA

View Full Version : Wheels - powder coat stocks or get a new set?

bkelley
10-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I want black wheels, but I'm debating on whether to get my stocks powder coated black or to just buy a new set of black ITP Pro GPs.

It would cost me about $330 to get a new set. Since I don't make a hell of a lot of money right now (broke college student) I'd have to order the fronts first, then the rears at a later date. Or, I can get my stocks powder coated black for $25 a wheel but I'd have to buy a replacement for my bent stock. Found a guy selling one on here for $40 shipped. For those of you scoring at home, that's $140 for black powder coated stocks. Basically I can get the stocks done for less than the cost of two new ones. It would also leave room to get my nerfs coated black, too. The stocks seems pretty tough, only the one front is bent and that's because a Jeep ran into me on the trails. Other than that, they've held up fine for 5 years now on some pretty rough trails and jumps, so I don't really see the need for a whole new set.

I realize now after typing all this up that it doesn't really make any sense for me to get a new set, but I figured I'd get some input on the situation.

johnnynonails
10-21-2009, 12:43 PM
i think u have answered that question urself.
powdercoat what u have is my view on it . john (uk)

Shawthy33
10-21-2009, 12:54 PM
If your trying to do it cheap, go bedliner or some do-it-yourself product. Spending the money on powdercoating stockies doesn't make much sense to me, you're still running the same wheels just at a different color. No stronger, just as easy to bend and then you'd have to get the replacements powder coated again and again.

Muddinguy
10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
I scuffed up my stockers and shot some Bedliner from a can on them.. personally i think they look *****in

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/Muddinguy/Quads/100_0661.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/Muddinguy/Quads/100_0662.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/Muddinguy/Quads/100_0663.jpg

and before they were devirginized
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/Muddinguy/Quads/100_0648.jpg

bkelley
10-21-2009, 02:04 PM
I thought about doing to whole bed liner/DIY project. I'm just worried they'll chip. How are yours holding up?

Pipeless416
10-21-2009, 04:01 PM
just so everybody is clear, stock rims are just about the strongest "conventional" rim you can get.

bkelley
10-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
just so everybody is clear, stock rims are just about the strongest "conventional" rim you can get. I'd have to agree with you. Been running my stocks since I got the bike. Aside from the Jeep incident, they are in practically perfect condition. I ride on some pretty rough trails, jump it often, and I'm 6'5" 280lbs...

Muddinguy
10-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by bkelley
I thought about doing to whole bed liner/DIY project. I'm just worried they'll chip. How are yours holding up?

good the only areas that peeled were around the edges from tyring to get my tires beaded properly but that was from prybar and not trails..

bkelley
10-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Muddinguy
good the only areas that peeled were around the edges from tyring to get my tires beaded properly but that was from prybar and not trails..
Yeah, I'd just rather have a smooth wheel rather than textured. I've heard the textured spray on liners make it really hard to clean the wheel off.

sab24711
10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
power washer

Muddinguy
10-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by bkelley
Yeah, I'd just rather have a smooth wheel rather than textured. I've heard the textured spray on liners make it really hard to clean the wheel off.
mine are preatty easy to clean... power washer works good if i wana get real anal about it.. a little car wash soap and a quick brush down they look new.

bkelley
10-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Still waiting to hear back from some guys about the front wheel. Looks like I might just buy some ITP Pro GPs after all.