PDA

View Full Version : 01 Suzuki LT 80 no start

ifluzu73
10-21-2009, 07:30 AM
New to the forum and looking for a little help. I have an 01 Lt80 that is a basket case. When I get it there was no spark plug battery or key. So I went out got all those things and put them in. Now the Lt cranks good and strong but won"t start. I started with the simple things. It does ahve a real strong spark so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Then i thought it was not getting fuel. So i removed the carb and found it to be all gummed up from having old gas in it. So i cleaned the hell out of the carb and before i went to put it back on i tried shooting starter fluid in the cylinder and it still won"t start. I checked the fuses and they all appear to be good. After reading several other posts I'm thinking it could be the reeds, but I'm not sure where to look for them. The reeds are just a shot in the dark. Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be and how to fix it. I'm stumped at this point and don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

LT80
10-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Welcome to the forums.
Is fuel getting to the plug?
Does it have compression? (do a comp check we need to know the numbers)
The reed is in the block behind the carb. It has the 4 phillips head screws that you are going to swear at. :D
Try hand choking it. (use 2 fingers in front of the carb).
Let's go from there. :)

etondaddy
10-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Before you go any further check compression.

Mike Kozura

ifluzu73
10-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I did find the reeds and got the screws out no problem, an air chisel works wonders on those lil buggers. I had done research on another site and they said to pour oil in the cage and if the reeds leak, which they did, then they are no good. So I bought a new set and still have to put them in. But I will also do a compression test on it and let you know what the numbers are. Is there a normal range I'm looking for?

LT80
10-21-2009, 04:09 PM
!20 is good. 100 is OK. Less than that and we usually freshen it up.
Most reeds will leak IMO. The LT80 reed is metal and can crack/break. It is rare.

ifluzu73
10-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Well finally got the chance to do a compression test and it was like 50. So I tore the top end apart and found out that the piston is junk. Now I'm not sure if I should rebuild it using the same top end or if I should buy a new top end for it. I also thought about having it bored but will that cause me to have to change the stock needle in the carb? Also why I'm there I think I'm gonna eliminate the oil injection and run the mix for it. Does anyone know how complicated this will be and if it's not that bad where I can get the kit to do this.. I went on Ebay and priced out all the parts to rebuild the top end and it's gonna be like 150.00 to get the parts. Does anyone know a good place to get them for a fair price, or maybe even a new motor all together. Thanks for all the help!!!

LT80
10-27-2009, 02:38 PM
You bore your cylinder. No reason to buy another.
To eliminate the oil injector, you must remove the clutch cover. Once the cover is off you remove the lil plastic piece on the end of the crankshaft that runs it (it simply pulls off). After that, I just put a piece of toothpick in the oil line to block it off. There is no kit. Some make a cover to replace the top of the pump. It's not as simple as just replacing that top.
All that is something you can do with hand tools and a hour or so.

Please use all stock Suzuki replacement parts.

ifluzu73
10-28-2009, 05:45 AM
I was planning on using a wiseco piston kit. Once the cylinder is bored do I need to change anything in the carb or is the needle big enough for this change? thanks

etondaddy
10-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Take the new piston to the machine shop with you he'll need it to bore the cyl..

Mike Kozura

LT80
10-28-2009, 07:21 AM
"I was planning on using a wiseco piston kit."

Ya, we all make mistakes....:) LOL

ifluzu73
10-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the info I'll let you know how I make out

ifluzu73
11-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Well found out the piston and cylinder are junk. The cylinder was scored so bad had to by a new one anyway. Looking to get a set of plastics for the quad now. Does anyone know where I can get a set in black for a fair price. Seems like everone wants to much money for something thats gonna get broken anyways. Thanks

AUSSIE80
11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Mate, the other blokes seem to have helped sort ya problems, but although not relevant to your situation, this is one problem i have found on a few non starting 2 strokers - blocked exhaust usually from too rich a premix, **** fuel, or slow riding had a wasps nest in one once, and only had to break up the dried mud to start it, blockage is easily checked by putting hand over outlet on exhaust and cranking over, i have got some bargain buy non goers and made them go in minutes of getting home, hope you find some too

ifluzu73
11-30-2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the advice I wish it was that simple. It turns ou that the jug and piston are junk and needed to be replaced. Also I'm looking for a black set of plastics for the bike.. If anyone knows where I can get some at a fair price please let me know. Thanks