PDA

View Full Version : Fox Body 5.0 Questions/Discussion

S.A.J
10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I opened up a thread about the v8 swap but i doubt i'll do that so i thought id get more reads/input if i put another name to it.

I got some 5.0 questions.

Will fuel injection get better gas milage?

With a nice heads/cam/intake setup what will i be looking at in terms of gas milage?

I found a deal for a 82 5.0 with a strait body,good interior,with a H.O 302 in it and it needs a carb and the engine needs to be wired up like the distributor etc. and its a 5 speed.The guy got it on trade so he dont know alot about it but he said he'd throw in 2 extra 302 short blocks in the deal.
No questions asked $600 is wat he said heres the link:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/pts/1409532635.html

Or would a 86 5.0 with a mild cam,new interior,5 speed with the 1-2 syncronizer(sp) mayb goin out(slips outa 1st sometimes),and minor front bumper damage,but about 1 year old paint job,for $1,200 be a better deal?

Kickstarts-suck
10-20-2009, 09:54 PM
If you are concerned about gas mileage a 302 isnt the best for ya.

Yes EFI will get better mileage. But if your planning on alot of motor mods go with the carbed stang.

Get on a mustang website and read up.

Mud Goat
10-20-2009, 10:12 PM
the one with the link to it seems to be the best deal to me. And 302 horrible on gas, at least in my truck it was. car maybe a little better

2001-400ex'er
10-20-2009, 10:22 PM
My buddy has an F-150 with a 302 and it gets pretty bad mileage but he has a built 88 stang with 302 (over 400hp on dyno) and he CLAIMS he can get over 20-25 if you drive it decent. Thats just what he says though...

S.A.J
10-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Yeah i wouldnt go to heavy into mods just make it look appealing from the outside and have a nice runing motor with couple mods,nothing to major but yeah itsnt that how we always say it'll be with the fourwheelers too :p

And when i say im concerned about gas milage i just mean i dont want somthing that gets like 12-15 cruising 18 or so aint no big deal...

I would consider doing the v8 swap on a nice notch but i think that might be abit much for a first car project...

Are any of yall on mustang sites or have any recomendations for a good site?

Sjorge450R
10-21-2009, 08:34 AM
um...pics are from 02!!!!! That bad boy could be a lot worse now. 7 years is a long time.
Either way. 600 and your getting 2 extra motors....i dont think you can go wrong. could prob sell the other motors off too.

S.A.J
10-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Dang man i cant believe i didnt see that before,good eye Sjorge300EX! And yeah that what ive been thinking too...or i could do a mild build on one of them and sell the other...i got about $1,200 to spend so if i bought it for $600 and spent the other $600 into geting it runing i think that would be enough...

"i have a complete msd set up for 302,dist,6al,coil and wires for 325.00"

Thats from a craigslist add,seems like a good deal to me,get that and see where id be from there...

My parents hate old project cars cause my dads dad always tinkered on his cars and changed them and my moms dad was a mechanic and he went to school for it too for awhile i think so for some reason they dont like stuff like that but i LOVE IT so lets see if i can pull it off and get em to give in lol.

KXRida
10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
not bad, but I'd make sure the title is clean first. $600 and 2 motors... hmmm

S.A.J
10-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah its clean title and he got it on trade with some other stuff and hes not a stang guy and wants to get rid of it.BUT im not gona get tht,its to mysterious and id rather have fuel injection.

Question:Do anyone think that a v8 swap would be to much of a first time project even if im mechanicly inclinded and not "wrench dumb" if you can call it that?I also have a mechanic neighbor that could help me out most likely.....

eastside 400
10-21-2009, 06:31 PM
one of the best mustang sites i have found is http://www.corral.net

A V8 swap into foxbody is no big deal at all, if you are going EFI it will be a little trickier but you just need the wire harness and ECM out of a EFI car. You can use the 4cyl Kmember i believe, you just need different mounts, also the rears in the 4cyl and 7.5 and you should really get an 8.8. again thats not a big deal. the front brakes are smaller then the V8 ones i believe but im not positive. the cars are pretty much the same though. If you have any questions just PM me, i am a fulltime mechanic and owned a 5.0 notch for a couple years and now i have a 4cyl notch but im building it completely, i have a full tubular kmember and control arms with coilovers front and rear, and going to be a 408W with hopefully 550HP N/A.

S.A.J
10-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Well there was a really nice 93 notch 4cyl. that came with a 5.0 block and heads all for $1000,just called and its sold...

Kinda leaning towards a 86 with the 5.0 and new paint and interior for like $1,200....we shall see...

Im gona check that site out and ive been doin ALOT of reading on the foxbodyforum.com site too...

Guy400
10-21-2009, 07:39 PM
One of my employees is taking his '92 Stang and putting a turboed LS1 in it. That ought to be interesting to see how that turns out.

10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I saw a mint 5.0 Foxbody yesterday. Some older lady was driving it, all stock and everything I was like damn that thing is unmolested.

Wheelie
10-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Fox Mustangs get better fuel economy than most people think, and they're very reliable.

I own an 86GT, the car has 241,000 miles on the original engine and still runs strong. I average 20-22mpg mixed driving, and about 25mpg highway.

Most owners report a slight improvement in mpg with a H/C/I swap and a proper tune. I read of several owners getting as high as 27-28mpg highway with a H/C/I on a stock bottom end.

If the 86 you're looking at is still speed density, be aware that most cams don't play nicely with SD. If the car has idle/running issues, be prepared for a cam swap or a swap to Mass Air--which isn't that difficult, just costs a couple hundred bones to do it right.

Mud Goat
10-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by S.A.J
Yeah its clean title and he got it on trade with some other stuff and hes not a stang guy and wants to get rid of it.BUT im not gona get tht,its to mysterious and id rather have fuel injection.

Question:Do anyone think that a v8 swap would be to much of a first time project even if im mechanicly inclinded and not "wrench dumb" if you can call it that?I also have a mechanic neighbor that could help me out most likely.....

Well if you have someone that will help you and answer questions then it would be a great first time project. the motor in my sig i built in highschool with the help of my highschool auto teacher. it was my first engine build ever, but i asked questions and he helped me on what i didn't understand. $5000 well spent:D

S.A.J
10-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Im fixing to leave to go look at and buy the 86 if everything checks out to be what he says for $1,400 :)
I'll update in the evening.

Im out

S.A.J
10-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Got the 86gt :D $1,400 I'll make a new thread about it when i get some pics of it and mayb clean it up abit...

Wheelie
10-23-2009, 07:46 AM
If you're not already a member, check out www.foureyedpride.com.

Congrats on the 86.

S.A.J
10-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey thanks Wheelie im already lookin it through,i imagine your a member there?

Wheelie
10-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Yup, I don't post often over there, usually just browse through the threads.

My sig name over there is Two865oh's. I only own one now, I sold my 86SSP 5.0 Notch.

S.A.J
10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Man i just registered and then i saw your last post with your username...sorry man wlda put you in that you referred me but just didnt see it in time...I added you as a friend though...

I tore alllll the interior cept the dash and headliner out including carpet.Did it all today and its realllllyyyy dirtyyy....Gona take everything out monday prolly and then clean it all up and wire brush the little bit of surface rust on the passenger side floor pan and then yeah,go from there,not sure what i'll do yet....