PDA

View Full Version : Have $300 to spend on 2005 400ex

tywebb3
10-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I recently picked up a used 2005 400ex that was bone stock except for a billet exhaust tip. I cleaned it up and changed the oil/oil filter. I also have a set of 450r front shocks on the way per the many recommendations on this board. I have a few hundred I can spend on it now and was just wondering what the best mods are? It will just be used for trail riding. Should I add skid plates, handlebars, K&N airfilter, EHS airbox lid, etc., etc.? Let me now what you think.

exrider12
10-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Skid plates and then handlebars.

slightlybent47
10-20-2009, 06:00 PM
If you are just going to trail ride it's pretty good stock for that.

Go over the bike real good and I'll bet you'll find some things that need replacing. i.e chain, sprocket, break pads, tires, grips, oil filters, oil, air filter, bushings, bearings. That will probably eat up your spar cash.

Happy ridding!!!

rob_990
10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
slip-on,air filter,jets

shiley55
10-20-2009, 06:24 PM
i would onlu get a swingarm skid i wouldnt go full skids. tires mabey . air filter jet kit and exhaust . it just depends on what you want

Ryan'07400ex
10-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by shiley55
i would onlu get a swingarm skid i wouldnt go full skids. tires mabey . air filter jet kit and exhaust . it just depends on what you want

Id say dont get the chasis skid plate either. mine rattle and vibrates like crazy at high rpms... its annoying. I've tried putting more padding but it doesn't help much. plus mine only has small scracthes nothing i've hit would of cracked my engine.

matt14c
10-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I would hang onto it and wait for the tree that jumps out in front of you.

But if in dier need of spending the money then I would get some sort of aftermarket air filter. KN/Uni. Steering stabilizer would be a good mod too for a trail rider. With having better shocks already the stabilizer sure will help with the ride. I dont know why you would to change the handlebars unless your jumping pretty large jumps and your not rolling it all the time. Stock bars will go a long ways. On an 05 everything should be in pretty good shape but check your stem bearing, front wheel bearing, tie rods, ball joints, and carrier to see if any need replacing. Unless it was a mudder before you got it prolly not but better safe then sorry while you have the money. Also same goes with chain and sprockets. Good luck have fun. Im sure watching this site you will be wanting to dump your next $300 into this machine and then again when your get another $300. So just read and look at what people think of the mods they did and think if that would be what your wanting to do or not.

b.lee
10-21-2009, 06:37 AM
AC swingarm skid plate

Oversize Oil tank

dalejiw25
10-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Get you a nice Denton Stabilizer, OURY Grips, and a box of Beer. Start savin up again.

slightlybent47
10-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Like I seed you have a used bike save it for maintenance items.

tri5ron
10-21-2009, 08:44 AM
considering that your trail riding, basically stock, and are talking $300,....
here's a list of "Best Bang for your Buck" Mods.

Works triple rate springs for the 450r shocks....................$229
Sparks timing key, (+2 gaskets from Honda).......................$55
CCP Custom Steering Stabilizer........................................ .$160
Nerf Bars....(depending on brand/style), approx.. $100 - $200
.250 swingarm skid, (any brand), approx. ...............$70 - $100
.190 frame and a-arm skids, approx. ......................$80 - $120

After that, and once you decide to "go all the way",....
you first go spend a rediculous amount on a header/muffler, airfilter, jetting...
then it opens your potential performance envelope up for, a 450r carb, (rejet for that),..
Cam, (oop's, ...rejet again)
and then if you so choose, bigger bore/higher compression, (guess what,... rejet AGAIN ! )

Or just forget the whole mess, and get a bunch of Stickers, some Hot Pink Handgrips, and a Periwinkle Flamed Seatcover LOL!

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the disease....

dalejiw25
10-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Check out my sig. and my photobucket to really understand A.A.D.S.

tywebb3
10-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I also have a '72 Cuda so I know all about "The Disease." I was hoping the 400ex would be something a little less expensive to tinker with?

I think I will probably go with a swingarm guard, K&N, airbox lid vents or the EHS, jets, and a set of Renthal bars if there is anything left in the tank?

gt400ex
10-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by tywebb3
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I also have a '72 Cuda so I know all about "The Disease." I was hoping the 400ex would be something a little less expensive to tinker with?

I think I will probably go with a swingarm guard, K&N, airbox lid vents or the EHS, jets, and a set of Renthal bars if there is anything left in the tank?

No you wont save any money with this toy, once the bug gets under your skin it turns into a never ending battle:devil: ;)