PDA

View Full Version : 400ex drag racing....?

yellow_ho_01
01-15-2003, 07:33 AM
what is the most quads you've raced against and won, in one day?......
I know that alot of you wont belive what i am about to say, so this coming weekend i will be taking my video recorder with me. I was out riding this past weekend with a bunch of guys, all on sport quads. They started doing alittle drag racing, and i soon found myself doing some too. There was like 2 300ex, 2 warriors, 440ex, ds 650, LT250, and 1 raptor and 1 banshee that only raced like 1-2 times. EVERYONE had at the least pipe work done (except the ds, i think he is stock) The straight we were using was like maybe 400ft+-... the 300's were beating the wariors, the 440 was beating the ds 650,the warriors, and the 300's, but lost to the LT250. I think the raptor was close with the LT250, but i dont think he won( i missed the first part of it) and the banshee only raced like 1 time, and i think he went again the lt250 and won, but not by much. Now this is were you wont belive me,.. i dont have anything done to my quad except what is in my sig. and the addition of new sprockets, (16T and 36T) i went against the 300's and warrior and won of course, next i went again the 440ex,.. i was thinking he would out pull me,... NOT TRUE!! even with the higher gearing, i was able to take off in 2nd gear everytime,.. i ended up racing the 440 a total of like 4-5 times and won every time except one where we tied. Im not talking about winning by alittle either.... he had to have been atleast 1 quad length behind because i could not see him at all. So then i went again the ds 650 and killed him. Next was the lt250,.. i was really expecting to lose,.. but again,.. the mighty 400 pulled me through and i won that one 2 times.
i think if the striaght would have been alittle longer it might have been more fun, since i never shifted PAST 4th gear before we had to slow down. I really cant wait to get this on tape, then you will belive me.i dont blame anyone for not beliveing me,.. if this was not my quad, i would have my doughts too, but i give you MY WORD, all of the above is true!

ChadEXer
01-15-2003, 08:38 AM
There is no doubt it can happen! I believe you!! But there is no way it was a 400ft length or even longer. If you never got out of 4th then you might have been running 200ft! We run 300ft at all our drags and Im always in 5th when i cross the line!!!

QuadTrix6
01-15-2003, 08:59 AM
i can believe that, its all rider i have beat banshees before even when my quad was bone stock :eek:

yellow_ho_01
01-15-2003, 01:01 PM
i know it was atleast 300ft, and i would say closer to 400ft,.. with the gearing i had before(14Tand 38T) i could easily get to 5th in this same length,.. but with the higher gearing i have now, there is ALOT of change. Im not shifting the gears as fast as i can, now,.. now its more like,... you have to let each gear build your speed.

ChadEXer
01-15-2003, 01:34 PM
All I do is drag race. I have tried every gearing combination that can be used. When I had a 416 in my bike i tried the same gearing that your running. It didnt pull as hard off the line in 2nd like it did with the stock gearing, but i was still in 5th by the end of the race,,,even with taller gearing in a 300ft, espcially 400ft race you should be in 5th by the end of the race unless you stay on the rev limiter way too long in every gear! I had NO luck with the gearing your running,,,I took it off and put the stock gearing back on and was beating all the Raptors, DS's and 400EX's out there,,but with your gearing they would all pull on me!!

yellow_ho_01
01-15-2003, 01:40 PM
i rarly hit the rev limiter.... i will use all the low end torque i can... this is what the gearing feals like.... when i had the 14/38 gears i could take off in 3rd with the same feel i got now in 2nd. i know 2nd is too hihg to be taking off in with this gearing,.. but it seems to be working really good. i might take i tape measure out there and get a length , then run by times.

400exrules
01-15-2003, 04:06 PM
so do some of you take of in 2nd :huh

MichaelS693
01-15-2003, 04:43 PM
yes... sometimes when people cant start out so well in 1st and they keep poppin up they will try 2nd.... you try and keep your bike revved out as much as possible......chad knows what he is talkin about:D :cool:

yellow_ho_01
01-15-2003, 05:10 PM
why would you even want to take off in 1st gear if you have the power to go insecond. if you start in first thats just that much more time youll lose when you have to shift that much earlier.

ChadEXer
01-16-2003, 08:43 AM
Well if your a good drag racer it doesnt matter how many times you have to shift in a race,,I could shift 10 gears and probably still beat the guy next to me that only has to shift 4 times with the same bike. Shifting is everything in drag racing! Some people start in 2nd because of like Michael said, because they have trouble keeping the front end down, but when you get into high horsepower applications like me and all my drag buddies have, you start in 2nd because you have faster acceleration and a little further pull past the launch RPMS that you leave the line on, meaining if you start in 1st, and your bike setup gives you the best launch at 8,000RPM, then the minute your off the line you have to hit second, but in 2nd you build up more speed and have a few more moments before you would have to hit 3rd. Its true that a very experienced drag racer can shift many times without losing any time, but if you can do without and extra shift then you should!!

Yellow, dont take this offensive, but there is no way that your bike has ever pulled 3rd off the line, unless you got some huge bottle on it somewhere! My 505 with a 14/38 gearing will pull 3rd in the sand with paddles but its pretty stressful on it, there is no way a bike without major mods to the motor will pull 3rd!! My old 416 was very strong, it would pull 3rd but only after it would nearly die out!!! And with 16/38 it didnt even want to pull 2nd that well!!

la400ex
01-16-2003, 01:42 PM
I know a guy with a moto that races mx and starts in 3rd and always pulls the holeshot. The thing is that he is weighs 130-140 if that and its concrete starts. Hes 15 i think and has gotten calls from hetrick and nacs racing for sponsorships. His main sponsor supplied the moto. I want to get in to drag racing. My bike has a rear lowering kit on it but nothin for the front. I bought it used and it had the one for the rear. Where should i start as far as mods go? Thanks, Ant.

yellow_ho_01
01-16-2003, 02:52 PM
i know.... you can say what ever you want,... but IT can take off in 3rd with the 14/38 setup. IN FACT- if i wanted(and have done it before just to prove to friend i can) i sit really far up on the seat,.. not quite ON the tank,. hold the front brakes, and from a dead stop, start in 4th gear and through dirt EVERYWHERE! SO,.. ( dont think im giving an "attitude, casue im not,.. its just the way its coming out) YES<>> it IS possible to take off in 3rd with 14/38 sprockets. i will record a short video this weekend and prove it.

MichaelS693
01-16-2003, 03:07 PM
if you are then your bike must be spinnin like crazy

ChadEXer
01-17-2003, 08:18 AM
Only thing I can guess is he must a have a bottle hidden somewhere on his quad!! Im not saying you cant start in 3rd because you can,,,but there is no doubt the quad is going to lose all RPM's and almost stall before you get off the line!! But then again I guess this guy knows a lot more about drag racing than I do!! Looks like Ive wasted quite a few years trying to figure out this drag racing!!!