PDA

View Full Version : how to make it run (Snowmobile)

white tails
10-19-2009, 08:38 PM
i got a snowmobile for free from one of my friends GF. It ran fine when they parked it 2 or 3 years ago (The only thing wrong with it was the ski) They left gas in it. what should i all do to get it up and running. The spark plug wire is broken at the opposite end of where you put it on the the plug. Is that the coil? It is an older polaris 340 tx. Thanks

rodeo#11
10-19-2009, 08:44 PM
well in one of my small engine repair classes we had to rebuild a riding lawmower that had been sitting for a few years with gas in the tank..we did all the basics to it drained the old gas, cleaned the inside of the gas tank, because once you let them sit they other build up rust (in metal gas tanks, or just grime in normal), cleaned the carb, drained the oil, checked the jub and piston for scratches and fully cleaned them, and replaced the plugs...i hope this helps ya a little sorry if it doesn't.

matt14c
10-19-2009, 08:46 PM
For a Polaris I would part it or scrap it and find a used cat! :devil:

Drain all the gas from the tank, lines and carbs. Remove the carb bowls and clean them with some carb cleaner and fingers. Make sure all the jets are good and clean. Put some fresh gas in it and put new plugs in it should be good to go. It should be the coil that the spark wire is coming out of. Without knowing the machine exactly you may want to find a polaris dealer and get a new one or try to find similar at auto parts store. Or if long enough cut off bad part and fix.

Quad18star
10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
First things first .... get rid of all the gas and oil. Was it oil injected or pre-mix? Either way, you'll want to chnage all the lines , take the carb out and give it a good cleaning. Chances are it's gummed up BAD. You may want to see how the cylinder is ... if they just parked it without fogging it, I'll guarantee that it's rusted up.

The opposite end on the wire is the coil. You should be able to pick one up for less than $40.

You will also want to check the brake pads if you get it running . Same goes for the belt .... if it's showing cracks, you'll want to replace it or atleast carry a good spare with you. Always check to see what toolsare needed to change the belt before you go riding.

Check the track for any major tears or cracks . Also check the idler wheels for excessive wear, breaks and see if all the bearings are rolling smoothly. Make sure no clips are missing from the track. .

Always carry spare oil, spark plugs and light bulbs.

I deal with snowmobiles for a living ... and I've seen WAY TOO MANY people go out without being prepared and they're usually the ones you see stuck on the side of the trail on their first ride out.

white tails
10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
For a Polaris I would part it or scrap it and find a used cat! :devil:

I was free, ill never BUY a polaris

How would i clean the inside of the gas tank, it is plastic.

And i think i will need a new coil we checked the spark today and it was barly getting any, and the wire is broke off where it meets the coil(under that little boot) so i cant put the wires back together.

If there is rust on the cilinder walls how do i get rid of that(We have not took the head off and looked at it yet)

im think it was pre-mix, ill ask them tomorrow

Thanks

Quad18star
10-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by white tails
I was free, ill never BUY a polaris

How would i clean the inside of the gas tank, it is plastic.

And i think i will need a new coil we checked the spark today and it was barly getting any, and the wire is broke off where it meets the coil(under that little boot) so i cant put the wires back together.

If there is rust on the cilinder walls how do i get rid of that(We have not took the head off and looked at it yet)

im think it was pre-mix, ill ask them tomorrow

Thanks

The tank should come off easily .. then just clean it would a good solvent.

Coil you should be able to find a new one for fairly cheap from a shop.. if not check scrap yard ( although I hate buying electrical from scrapyards).

If there's rust, depending on how bad , you can probably just hone it out. I'm guessing it has never been opened up before, so if theres scrapes in the walls , bore it out .10 over. and slap a new piston and ring set in . Rings and a piston are like $30 from an aftermarket like Kimpex.

If it was oil injected, there'll be a jug on the inside of the cab usually close to the clutching.

white tails
10-20-2009, 07:16 PM
ok ill do this stuff and get back to tell you guys how it went
thanks

backwoodsracer
10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
PIctures please i love snowmobiles haha some weird fascination i have

white tails
10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
ill take pictures once i get my camera working, im not going to lie, its ugly, and i didn't get a chance to work on it today

white tails
10-24-2009, 10:36 AM
it needs a good cleaning

white tails
10-24-2009, 10:39 AM
back view

white tails
10-24-2009, 10:40 AM
the coil

white tails
10-24-2009, 10:41 AM
right side of engine

white tails
10-24-2009, 10:43 AM
right side

white tails
10-24-2009, 10:44 AM
left side

white tails
10-24-2009, 10:46 AM
right side of carb

white tails
10-24-2009, 10:47 AM

white tails
10-24-2009, 10:49 AM
left of carb

Quad18star
10-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Good ole air cooled. I didn't see any oil reservoir so she's gunna be a pre-mix.

Be sure to check your crab boots for any cracks.

white tails
10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
these??

Quad18star
10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Ya those.

What year is the sled? Be careful if you take them off ... they may be brittle and possible discontinued if you break one. lol

LTR450_#67
10-27-2009, 01:48 AM
I think I might have one of those up in the barn....I believe it's from the '77-'80 range somewhere around there.

01 400EXer
10-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Since you have weak spark, take the spark plug coil off and make sure the mounting points are free of rust. The coil is grounded when it is mounted. If there is rust or not a good mounting contact it can create a week spark. Also take the carbs off and completely clean them and make sure all air/fuel passages and circuits are clean. They can get blocked fast. I ran my snowmobile last winter and even late spring to summerize it. When I went to get it ready for this winter it would run but not idle. Took the carb apart and the pilot jet was restricted. I even had fuel stabilizer in it. We have 4 vinatage Cats, 2 1980 Panthers and 2 1981 Panteras. I just recently picked up a almost vintage 1992 Cat Jag Special for $250 that needed a little TLC and $40 later and some clean up and paint it is a great running and good looking machine and better suspension.

mxduner
10-27-2009, 11:45 PM
yep that is about a 77-82ish model. Yea replace the fuel lines and clean them carbs, especially the pilot jets. I may be wrong but, origanly i thought those might be oil injected, but as stated, no tank, o well.

You might be able to get away with, on that coil, to cut 1/2" off the wire and twist it back in place.Thats how the caps get replaced, kinda threading it on...

Quad18star
10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by mxduner
yep that is about a 77-82ish model. Yea replace the fuel lines and clean them carbs, especially the pilot jets. I may be wrong but, origanly i thought those might be oil injected, but as stated, no tank, o well.

You might be able to get away with, on that coil, to cut 1/2" off the wire and twist it back in place.Thats how the caps get replaced, kinda threading it on...

I was going to mention that also , but never got around to it. Like he said , just cut a section off and twist it into the coil pack . You may want to get a new wire just to be on the safe side and have the peace of mind that it's new.