PDA

View Full Version : how to get ready for a race

fasterz
01-15-2003, 07:33 AM
how do you get ready for a race? what do you do to the quad and what d oyou do physically? what has to be checked and changed and things like that, this is for a report in school s oplease give me good long answers, thanks:cool:

exriderdude
01-15-2003, 07:35 AM
always make sure you take a pre-race dump;)

QuadTrix6
01-15-2003, 09:40 AM
a week before a race i usually try to do all the maintenence like change oil, clean and lube the chain, clean airfilter, check over all my bearings, and make sure all my bolts are tight, then i will take it for a test spin just to make sure i didn't f*** anything up..:D , i then check over my setup and make sure im setup for the track conditions, ex: tires tire pressure etc... i make sure i have all my gear, spare parts, tools etc... ready to go and in the truck. i make sure my truck, quad and extra gas tank are full. as for physically i usually eat a high protein, high carbohydrate dinner 2 days before then the same the night before but i get nervouse and eat half as much the night before :o , i try to drink lots of water and just relax and try to mentally prepare myself for the race....im def forgetting stuff, theres really so much to do, but i hope this helps :D

lil400exman
01-15-2003, 09:47 AM
all i do is go out have fun and just like the blind dog that finds a firehydrant i win sometimes......................

QuadTrix6
01-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
all i do is go out have fun and just like the blind dog that finds a firehydrant i win sometimes......................

well said but thats not gonna help him with his report

lil400exman
01-15-2003, 10:01 AM
lol if he raced he wouldnt need that i make sure my shocks are dialed in my tires are in ok posistion my gear is in tip top shape nerf bar bets are good not frayed up or anything also my helmet isnt cracked and me and my quad are prepped sleep alot before the race drink some gaotrade and water gatorade has elctorlyties and carbs in it and water helps you to sweat to keep kool in the summer also i take 2 ibouprfens to make sure that i dont get a headache in the middle of the race theres my honest answers.............................

YLW400
01-15-2003, 10:05 AM
WHat are some good extra parts to have on hand during race season?

lil400exman
01-15-2003, 10:42 AM
sky blue

i think for me a spare head............lol just kiddin
1. differnt tires for track conditions
2 differnt pipes for low end mid and top
3.track clothes
4 toolbox with as many tools as you can get in there
5.alll the jets you can get
6.cash you can always pick up parts cheap at the track
7spark plugs
8 different numbers at my track at least you need to have like 2
9. entry money
10.hot chicks always help when your stressed out
11. i cant rember them all.......................

MxDale71
01-15-2003, 12:13 PM
I always bring oil, chain lube, lots of water, food, TTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLS, I check my quad completely for any cracks, loose bolts, bearings, loose axle nut, steering stem, handle bars, lug nuts, check my fuel and air filters, plastic bolts. It's also really important to eat enough. I know I get nervous and won't eat and after my last moto, I'm so pumped up and hungry at the same time that my hands are just shaking. So I usually try to have some sandwiches and water or poweraid. I check out all my riding gear to make sure my helmet doesn't have cracks, my goggles don't have dirt on them, especially not on the inside.... dirt in the eyes in the middle of a race is a B!TCH. Then when I'm at the track and have everything situated, I just sit down either in my truck or open my back window and sit in the bed of my truck and turn up some good hard rock music. Some Deftones, SOAD, Union Underground, or anything else that will get me pumped up and make me want to bash someones head into the ground :grr :p :D. When I'm at the gate waiting for the other race to be over, I always like to stretch while I'm sitting on my quad. My last race was REALLY cold (it was snowing during our race) so I practically just walked around in circles and stretched my arms... anything to keep you loose. When the race was about to start, I got on my quad, stretched my legs, and then got ready for the gate to drop. And then there you go...

P.S. Definitely a good idea to take a pre-race dump. Lol, you'll be nervous and I can almost garuntee you that you'll wish you would have if you didn't. :D :huh :macho :mad: :p

Thats all the somewhat constipated faces, LOL.

fasterz
01-15-2003, 04:46 PM
thanks guys, if you got more please post um. its a 3 page report:eek:

Nausty
01-15-2003, 08:09 PM
a week before the race or during race season I don't eat any junk food and drink lots of water and try to take better care of my body and usually I like to have most of the stuff ready for race day so that you don't come up with unexpected problems while working on the quad or making me late for the race.

At the race track I usually walk the track and just get a feel for the dirt and how the quad will handle and how many rutts to expect by paying attention to how they form through practice. When the other quad classes I watch for where people are getting passed and where people are making up mistakes. Also I do most of my stretching at the gate when i'm nervous to loosen up from being nervous anyways and one thing for sure stretching does help performance wise. Also I like to eat something between races and another thing to do is take some asprin before the races so that the blood flows faster and smoother which makes it easier on the ticker and keeps blood from staying in your arms forming "arm pump". I also usually run about a half tank of gas so that i'm not carrying unnessacary weight and if it gets cold as the night goes on I usually take a big coat with me that zips up so I can just put it around my gear before the race to keep me from getting cold and tightning up and getting nervous.

For spare parts I like to bring some spare handlebars with grips glued and a stem in case I roll it over and bend or break the bars and other than that we just bring a ton of tools and other pretty much un-needed spare parts.

If you wanna add gate prep before a race is what you wanna do is get a good spot in the semi so you can get early pick on the gates. I try to go for a gate somewhere in the middle and where I think I will be able to carry the momentem to the first turn. I usually get the middle middle or middle to outside. When your at the gate you wanna try to center your tires inside the grooves for the extra traction and I personally like to line about 6-10 inches back from the gate so that before the gate drops you can start releasing the clutch until its grabbing and maybe get a running start. I've pulled lots of holeshots doing that. Another good spot if you can get it is right next to the box in the middle because right when the gate drops you can drift into the middle and have a lot more room allowing you to not have to worry about other riders near as much and having them rub and bounce off you slowing you down.

From my own experience I find it better to not man handle the quad around and to consentrate on trying to be smooth and keep my momentem up so that I don't get tires through the race and usually you'll be speeding up throughout the last laps while everyone is slowing down and it may be pretty easy to gain some spots that way. Basically take chances on the first lap and try to gain as many places as possible so you don't have to worry about not getting trapped behind the slow riders and because during that time its pretty easy to gain spots and find passes. Then after that try to set a pace and then hit it hard the last couple laps when everyone else is slowing down. Thats my stratagy anyways.

lol, sorry for the long post but I figured you wanted detail and I was getting kinda carried away because I really like the mental part of racing like from the last 2 paragraphs(besides this one,lol) I hope this posts makes sense but I don't feel like rereading all of it.

RIDER11X
01-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by exriderdude
always make sure you take a pre-race dump;)

Yes! Nerves on the gate usually don't help this problem.......................until the gate drops.....then it's all forgotten!

TRX300X
01-19-2003, 09:58 AM
For me it seems no matter what I do I get butterflies, but the more and more you think about it the more you psyche yourself out. I gotta agree though once that gate drops you only have on thing on your mind and thats getting in front of the guy next to you.

DoctorRags
01-19-2003, 02:53 PM
I have found that before most of my harescrambles, I usually go out and have about 12 beers (maybe a few shots), and probably get to bed around 3:00am, only to get up at 7:00am to pack the truck. On the way to the race, I drink one (1) 32 oz. Orange Gatorade and about two more while waiting around before the race. I might try to fit a quick 20 min. power nap, but that usually gets disturbed by other people in our camp.

So far this season its worked for me. This will be my first full season (only raced the last three races of 2002 season) and I am currently fifth in my district after 4 races. I have only been riding for less than a year, so I think I doing pretty good.

I don't suggest this routine for everyone. Only a select few have what it takes.

tants
01-19-2003, 06:44 PM
i got some questions too...

how will you know when you have to race? (like when your waiting at the track)

i no like on the scheduals it says register, practice, and race time... but how will you know what time your excact moto is?

and when your bring the quad towards the gate... theres a guy with a bucket... or just a bucket... and go ahead to pick a number for the gate position?

also can you ride the quads from where you parked to the gate? cause after each moto i went to go see... everyone lined up out side the fence of the track... chilled for a little bit, then pushed there bikes away...

thanks!

MxDale71
01-19-2003, 09:20 PM
After practice, they will post the race order. All you do is see what moto you are, and then just keep up with which moto's are racing. It's impossible to know what time you will race because it all depends on the riders speed, whether or not there's a bad wreck, etc. Just keep an eye on whats out there, like if your racing the 12th moto, and the 50's are riding the 10th moto, just wait till you see the 50's out on the track and go ahead and make your way over to pre-staging. Ofcourse the 50's take a while so you don't have to be in a hurry, but don't take your time to much because it would not be a good idea to miss your moto. Also, talk to some other racers... keep an eye on when the other racers in your class start to make their way to the gates. Different tracks have different ways of doing gate picks for the 1st moto. Some tracks will make you draw #'s, some will just call you out in the order that you registered. Just ask some other local racers how that particular track does things.

I guess that would be a good racing tip. Don't be afraid to ask questions to other racers. Most are more than willing to help you out any time. The other racers will do everything they can to help you get out there and race. Even if it would help them out not to help you, I haven't come across a racer yet that wouldn't be willing to get you out on that track and racing.

I think motocrossers have to be the most helpful athlete's you can find.

tants
01-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by MxDale71
After practice, they will post the race order. All you do is see what moto you are, and then just keep up with which moto's are racing. It's impossible to know what time you will race because it all depends on the riders speed, whether or not there's a bad wreck, etc. Just keep an eye on whats out there, like if your racing the 12th moto, and the 50's are riding the 10th moto, just wait till you see the 50's out on the track and go ahead and make your way over to pre-staging. Ofcourse the 50's take a while so you don't have to be in a hurry, but don't take your time to much because it would not be a good idea to miss your moto. Also, talk to some other racers... keep an eye on when the other racers in your class start to make their way to the gates. Different tracks have different ways of doing gate picks for the 1st moto. Some tracks will make you draw #'s, some will just call you out in the order that you registered. Just ask some other local racers how that particular track does things.

I guess that would be a good racing tip. Don't be afraid to ask questions to other racers. Most are more than willing to help you out any time. The other racers will do everything they can to help you get out there and race. Even if it would help them out not to help you, I haven't come across a racer yet that wouldn't be willing to get you out on that track and racing.

I think motocrossers have to be the most helpful athlete's you can find.

thanks man..

anyone in district34? quadtrix6 arent you? any tips?