PDA

View Full Version : Best way to reliable R???

54warrior
10-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Friend is rebuilding an 86 engine and is also planning to add some other goodies to it, i.e. Hinson Clutch/Basket/etc.

Quad was a MX machine, and is going back to a trail/fun/play riding setup. It has an LRD adjustable pipe/silencer. Will be switching back to stock configuration cylinder + CoolHead and selling the current 265cc PV cylinder, so if you know anyone interested....

Anyone have any 'must do' tips or tricks for building a reliable, trail/fun engine on a small budget.

Open to all recommendations on engine configs, etc.

Where is best place to get OEM and aftermarket parts cheap?

Honda 250r 001
10-19-2009, 11:44 AM
deck the top of the cylinder 1mm and have the head rechambered.

54warrior
10-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Also, whats the advantage to the 8 plate Hinson setup?

Honda 250r 001
10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
plates and baskets last longer.

Master LTR450
10-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Also, whats the advantage to the 8 plate Hinson setup?

U wont really need an 8 plate for a stock cylinder motor. The 8 plate is good for the bigger motors

86 Quad R
10-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Master LTR450
U wont really need an 8 plate for a stock cylinder motor. The 8 plate is good for the bigger motors

agree's X's 2 but, if the quad already has the setup on there. leave it. :cool:

other things you can to make it more reliable as with any quad is to keep the maintanance up on it i/e chain tension always proper, cables lubed, after every ride check for loose or missing bolts and clean air filter, as well as change fluid/s, slack bearings, inspect suspension components and as part of maintanance do a routine compression check.

if your going to be building an engine from scratch i'd inspect and replace any bearing that is questionable. such as the crank, counter balancer(big and small end), thuroughly inspect the big end rod bearing and have the crank built if in doubt. and by all means do a leak down test prior to mounting the engine in its cradle prior to starting.

Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
deck the top of the cylinder 1mm and have the head rechambered.

i'm still trying to wrap my mind around how this will make it more reliable.... please explain.

jcs003
10-19-2009, 02:30 PM
have the crank trued and balanced and definitly make sure the counterbalancer is up to spec.

250Renvy
10-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R

i'm still trying to wrap my mind around how this will make it more reliable.... please explain. [/B]

Me too.

If you want to turn it into a good trail machine and you are replacing the powervalve cylinder, get a 87-89 stock cylinder and get it cleaned up but not ported. Keep your compression to around 180 and it will be reliable, more compression makes it have to run race gas.

54 warrior - PM me some info on your powervalve cylinder - (what type, porting type, iron sleeve or nikasil, how many bores left etc) - pics and price would be good too.

IcutMetl
10-19-2009, 04:05 PM
I would think that Powervalve cylinder would make a wicked trail motor. The LRD Pipe can be adjusted for more low end, can't it?? But, as the other guys have said- maintenance. If it's loose, replace it. If you're wondering if you should replace something...replace it anyways. Keep the compression around 180, run quality premium fuel and good oil. Change the case oil regularly. Keep the cables lubed, all the pivot points, swingarm joints...etc. Replace the chassis bushings/bearings. Over do it with basic preventative maintenance and I'm sure you'll be more than fine.

Honda 250r 001
10-19-2009, 07:45 PM
well+im+tryin+to+help+him+make+a+fast+reliable+mot or.+I+mean+if+u+want+ultra+high+reliability+leave+ it+dead+stock+i+thought+that+was+just+common+sence .+%3A%5C

atv fan 28
10-19-2009, 09:32 PM
he said most reliable! if he wanted fast he would have kept his current set-up! your killing me with all them plus signs!

Honda 250r 001
10-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
he said most reliable! if he wanted fast he would have kept his current set-up! your killing me with all them plus signs!

hey sorry about that. I was doing that on my phone and idk why it did that? So seriously, if you want the most reliable motor, go dead stock, with maybe a pipe. if you want a good fast stock motor go with a 36 pwk, reeds, 185 compression, esr pipe.

54warrior
10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks to all who responded.

Yes, when I said reliable, I should have been more specific. We've got the chassis reliablity covered (i.e cleaning filters, changing oil, lubing chain/cables/etc.). Mostly interested in building a good, strong, reliable motor.

It is an 86 bottom end, but I think the rod was swapped for an 88/89 rod, which is (longer/shorter--which???)

Honda 250r 001
10-20-2009, 10:22 AM
the 88-89 is longer, and makes pistons last longer. As i said before, i hear some people saying that the fastest stock motors they have ever ridden had the 1mm decking mod done to them.

54warrior
10-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I was looking on the Eddie Sanders site. I see the newer CR style ignition. Is that worth it? What other engine related items should be checked into?

As I said in original post, the following items will be re-used:

Cool Head
OEM Ported Cylinder

Edited: not using the LRD pipe, any suggestions on good replacement, probably Eddie Sanders huh? But which one?

Honda 250r 001
10-20-2009, 11:15 AM
woops sorry didnt notice that, the cr ignition works well, revs ultra fast and the throttle responce is godlike.

54warrior
10-20-2009, 11:47 AM
I should mention... this was an MX quad that my friend raced. It has:

White Fullbore Plastic
Blue Gripper Seat Cover
Stock Frame (Bright Orange)
Pro Tapers
Lonestar +3+1 Chrome Arms
Lonestar Stem
Lonestar Stem Clamp
Braided Lines Front/Rear
Pep Stabilizer
Pep ZPS Long Travel Shocks Front/Rear
Lonestar Swingarm -1
Lonestar Twin Row Carrier
Lonestar Anti-Fade Nut
Lonestar Axle +4
Lonestar Seat Latch
AC Bumper
AC Grab Bar
AC Bolt-On Ners
Douglas Shamrock Beadlocks Front/Rear
ITP Holeshot MX Tires
Stock Hubs
Stock Calipers
Billet shifter
Billet Kicker
Billet brake pedal

Was raced in the A/B class at Fox Raceway in Marienville back in late 90's early 2000's, when Rich and Dana were owners. Matt White, Buddy Joe Cahloneski were big hitters up there at the time. Along with Bobby Ross who was still pretty young then, on a Blaster.

Needs a new rear caliper. Anyone have one?

Also not sure what carb was on it, I think a Keihin 38 or 39

All I know is that he wasn't happy with the PV engine and wants to go back to stock configuration, and wants it to be über reliable.

1promodfan
10-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
I was looking on the Eddie Sanders site. I see the newer CR style ignition. Is that worth it? What other engine related items should be checked into?

As I said in original post, the following items will be re-used:

Cool Head
LRD Team B Adjustable Pipe and Silencer
OEM Ported Cylinder

I say get an CR ignition......but wait and find a good deal. I just bought one last week for $130, and all I have to get now is the adapter from ESR. So, I'll have around $200 in the whole set-up.;)

Honda 250r 001
10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
I say get an CR ignition......but wait and find a good deal. I just bought one last week for $130, and all I have to get now is the adapter from ESR. So, I'll have around $200 in the whole set-up.;)

i agree, i would def suggest this rather than forking out the 500 at esr.

now you have inspired me to look for one jared haha.

54warrior
10-21-2009, 04:35 AM
I responded to the PM's I got last night.

Also, talked to him and he is using the carb off of a 98 CR250, with that electronic "Power Jet Control" crap on it, which he don't have hooked up.