PDA

View Full Version : Tranny tear down pictures, I got super lucky on this one.

d3ktrix
10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
I tore the transmission apart because my shift lever was getting locked up once in a while, well the problem was pretty obvious once it was torn down.

One of the dogs snapped off the C5 gear and was laying in the bottom of the case. And I rode for 1.5 days with it in there! Doesn't seem like it did any other damage. It must of been wedged between the drum and the cases, or between the 2 shift forks on the counter shaft, which caused the shift lever to lock up.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/Tranny%20Fuxored/DSC03344.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/Tranny%20Fuxored/DSC03342.jpg

The M3 and M4 gears are also shot from wear, 60HP seems to work these gears fast. This engine only has 20 hours on it since the last tear down and there was no signs of wear like this last time.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/Tranny%20Fuxored/DSC03346.jpg

What do u guys think about the wear on this C1 gear from the dogs engaging on it? Need to be replaced? Pretty much every gear with dogs or catchers on it has wear like this. The teeth are like new still though.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/Tranny%20Fuxored/DSC03349.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/Tranny%20Fuxored/DSC03352.jpg

sunco
10-19-2009, 05:47 AM
Sorry to hear about your tranny. On our 04 when the motor blew up the dealer told me I needed new gears in the trans. I said go ahead & do it while it was apart but not really sure if it was required. I have the old parts. Good luck gettin it back together. Will ya make it back to BPG this year? My 07 trans has taken a beatin. I know some times it does that false nuetral thing or I just missed a gear but either way - Hammer down for me to clear that jump. I tried the new uphill triple - you'd do it no sweat. I only went about 80' (its still flat) its 100' long. They told me 4th gear pinned is what it takes to clear it after I gave up trying. TTYL

chad502ex
10-19-2009, 06:20 AM
dangit!!! well mystery solved for ya....

If I were you I'd but an ebay tranny, buy new OEM shift forks, then have it cryo and ISF treated... That'be just me tho... ;)

good luck man!

d3ktrix
10-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Ah yeah that probably would of been a cheaper route.

But I already made an order on service honda last night. Ordered C5, M3, and M4, some spacers/washers, and the 2 gaskets I needed. Came to $250 shipped -_-

The shift forks spec'd out ok, so I'm leaving them. And left the gears that have the dog wear, I think they'll be ok.

If I tear the engine down again over the winter I'll get it cryo'd then, but this time I waited too long to tear into it and don't have the time to get it done. I'd miss all of the remaining riding for the season.

d3ktrix
10-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by sunco
Sorry to hear about your tranny. On our 04 when the motor blew up the dealer told me I needed new gears in the trans. I said go ahead & do it while it was apart but not really sure if it was required. I have the old parts. Good luck gettin it back together. Will ya make it back to BPG this year? My 07 trans has taken a beatin. I know some times it does that false nuetral thing or I just missed a gear but either way - Hammer down for me to clear that jump. I tried the new uphill triple - you'd do it no sweat. I only went about 80' (its still flat) its 100' long. They told me 4th gear pinned is what it takes to clear it after I gave up trying. TTYL

Yeah I hope to hit up bwood again before it gets too cold. Need to hit those new triples =)
My plan is to get this back together before English Town on the 31st.

Sjorge450R
10-19-2009, 07:52 AM
eh. I know that your shift forks seem to be alright, but I would probably just replace them just to be on the safe side. It would suck to put everything together only to have a shift fork bend 20 hours down the road.

Also, are you going to have the gears treated like Chad suggested?

chad502ex
10-19-2009, 08:41 AM
wow..

once, I bought a tranny on ebay for $100, then purcharsed new shift forks for $90, and cryo and ISF for around $300... ended up with an indestructable polished, harneded, backcut tranny for under $500...

anyway, good luck with your rebuild.

DEERCHOOPER
10-19-2009, 08:54 AM
try to keep all the change out of it this time and it will hold up, lol.

kawabunga
10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
The EXACT same thing happened to my quad last spring. It did a lot more damage in my tranny though. Took out 3 other gears.

d3ktrix
10-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
eh. I know that your shift forks seem to be alright, but I would probably just replace them just to be on the safe side. It would suck to put everything together only to have a shift fork bend 20 hours down the road.

Also, are you going to have the gears treated like Chad suggested?

New forks will bend the same as my current ones if something goes wrong :P
If they are not worn, bent or have heat damage why replace them?

Originally posted by chad502ex
wow..

once, I bought a tranny on ebay for $100, then purcharsed new shift forks for $90, and cryo and ISF for around $300... ended up with an indestructable polished, harneded, backcut tranny for under $500...

anyway, good luck with your rebuild.

Yeah there is actually a full 05 trans on ebay right now for $150.
Just don't feel like dealing with a mixed bag tranny right now though, need to get this thing going fast.

Originally posted by kawabunga
The EXACT same thing happened to my quad last spring. It did a lot more damage in my tranny though. Took out 3 other gears.

And someone else on trx.org said they had the same thing also happen to them and it cracked 1 of their cases.
Now I feel even luckier :P

Originally posted by DEERCHOOPER
try to keep all the change out of it this time and it will hold up, lol.

That little penny is the most powerful tool in doing a bottom end rebuild =)

Butter
10-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Yeah I hope to hit up bwood again before it gets too cold. Need to hit those new triples =)
My plan is to get this back together before English Town on the 31st.

The 31st?! They only have their race on Nov. 21st-22nd.

d3ktrix
10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Butter
The 31st?! They only have their race on Nov. 21st-22nd.

I know its not on the Etown site, So I have my doubts that it will actually happen.

But its on the D6 AMA site.
Oct 21st prac. Nov 1st Race.
http://d6mx.com/d6-schedule.htm#OCTOBER

If you find anything else about it lmk.

Butter
10-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Def. not happening. If anyone else plans on this, don't bother. I work at the E-Town races, and PJ, who runs the show told me its just the race on the 21st. E-Town won't get the insurance to run normal practices or more races. So yeah don't rush! You got more time than you think.

10-19-2009, 10:07 PM
They had a qualifier for that etown race on nov 1st at hurricane hills a month or so ago. Almost every1 i know that rides says its open. I no you work it but double check and make sure.

10-19-2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.racewaypark.com/quads.aspx

Butter
10-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Oh yeah, that series. Last year they ran that race at Walden I believe. Yeah we got nothing to do with that one. That's why it didn't dawn on me. Yeah no clue how they run their stuff.

Butter
10-19-2009, 10:19 PM
That isn't open to anyone though correct? Just the pre-existing qualifiers? And I don't see anything on practice that Sat.? Wouldn't mind getting back there since I missed the spring race with my crash.

d3ktrix
10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Butter
That isn't open to anyone though correct? Just the pre-existing qualifiers? And I don't see anything on practice that Sat.? Wouldn't mind getting back there since I missed the spring race with my crash.

The race is just qualifiers. The D6ama site mentions a practice, don't know if its open to everyone or not though.

And the etown site says "Open Practice is the day before the race"
Just not directly under that date, so not sure if it's just referring to the fall classic.

Butter
10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah that's what I seen. I'll talk to PJ this weekend, and see if he knows anything of whats going on.

10-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Im 99% positive its open on saturday for us to ride. hope to see you there if it is open