PDA

View Full Version : Few mod questions (EHS lid & Sparks key)...

bkelley
10-18-2009, 09:06 PM
I was thinking about getting the EHS airbox lid kit for my 400EX. I've ran it with the stock air lid on since I bought it. Today when I was cleaning it I decided to take the lid off and run it up the street a few times. Felt a little more snappy (mostly likely just me thinking it was) and could definitely tell the difference in the intake sound. So I was wondering, is it worth the $60 for the kit?

I was also thinking about getting the 6 degree Sparks key. To those who have installed it, are the performance gains noticeable? I was looking through an older thread where a guy was talking about it increasing his acceleration, but lowering his top end speed. Said he went down two teeth on his rear sprocket and that evened it out nicely and was impressed overall with it.

IcutMetl
10-18-2009, 10:49 PM
I have had both; although on 2 different machines. Had the 6 degree key on my 400ex and liked it a lot. I had stock compression/bore with Yosh slip on running with airbox lid; buddy liked it so much, he bought one for his 11:1 stock bore slip on bike. It's no 440 kit, but for the price, it's like a sore peter...can't beat it.

Have the EHS lid on my 250R now. Perfect compromise to running a lid and running w/o one. It looks good- much better than drilling holes or other creative tricks, and still keeps out more crap than you think. It is pricey, but I thought what the heck- it's well made, and it does the job well so far.

Hope I helped!

bkelley
10-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely going to order the key. On the installation guide it says you'll need a new left side case gasket. Is a new one completely necessary? Can you not just use the old one?

IcutMetl
10-19-2009, 06:32 AM
I can't remember if I ordered a new one or was able to use the old one. I would order a new one; I would have to split or damage the gasket.

bkelley
10-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah, always better safe than sorry. You know a good place to pick one up online? I can't seem to find just a crankcase gasket anywhere online.

IcutMetl
10-19-2009, 10:18 AM
If you can't get one thru your local shop or on ebay, try www.servicehonda.com.

bkelley
10-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I can only find the right side gasket. Guess I'll just have to make a trip to the Honda shop.

jasonwayne222
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
i just did a bunch of mods to mine and i removed the airbox lid. i went to the outwears website and found an outwears airbox cover. its the same material they use on their filter socks but it stretches over the top of the box and uses velcro to attach it to the sides.

I havent gotten it in yet but it seems likek it will be the best thing for runnin with no lid. its water repellant and is a prefilter without compromising any air flow from drilling holes in the lid or whateverr u may do.

Its only 24 bucks plus shipping

Brauap
10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
I have HEARD the Sparks great is great- have heard nothing BUT good about it.

I have HAD the EHS lid and it was terrible. They say it was water resistant, and they was true, but the water that didn't go though at first puddled at the top and slowly dripped in on the air filter. It also ONLY stopped larger chunks of mud/dirt. It let other dust in with ease! I personally think that is was a rip off x10.

bkelley
10-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I think I'm just gonna stick with the stock lid for now. $30+ for just a piece of pre-filter and some velcro still seems like a rip off.

However, I do plan on installing the Sparks key, getting a CDI box, and powder coating my wheels black within the next month. Should hold me over until I get an XX.

grassman
10-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I was the guy talking about the key and going down 2 teeth on rear sprocket. It made a good difference for sure. There was no way I could save my gaskets when I took the case off, they just ripped and peeled apart when they separated. As far as the xx.... Its a whole other beast and its awesome!

bkelley
10-20-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm jealous.