PDA

View Full Version : Winter tire options?

dripinc09
10-18-2009, 08:06 PM
What are some different kinds of winter /snow tires people prefer? I want to get a nice set for my 400ex but i thought id see what everyone else used first. Any inputwould be helpful thanks!

ChargedGN
10-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Same question here, last year my Kenda Klaws were worthless in the wet snow, once it was packed it was OK.
Looking to see if anyone runs sand tires in the snow, ie Skat tracks, SandStar's , ect with good results:confused:

AMS Zippers are the only ones that seem to describe themselves as snow tires but don't seem to have an aggressive enough(high) tread design.

dripinc09
10-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by ChargedGN
Same question here, last year my Kenda Klaws were worthless in the wet snow, once it was packed it was OK.
Looking to see if anyone runs sand tires in the snow, ie Skat tracks, SandStar's , ect with good results:confused:

AMS Zippers are the only ones that seem to describe themselves as snow tires but don't seem to have an aggressive enough(high) tread design.

my brother uses Zippers and he swears by them. But I am in the same boat you are in haha. I just want to see what the other popular options are.

IcutMetl
10-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm wondering the same thing- I wish they made the 4-Snow tires in 20" sizes...I know it's probably a ground clearance thing, but I hate the feeling when your rear tires are taller than the front.

I always thought stock tires did pretty good.

dripinc09
10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
I'm wondering the same thing- I wish they made the 4-Snow tires in 20" sizes...I know it's probably a ground clearance thing, but I hate the feeling when your rear tires are taller than the front.

I always thought stock tires did pretty good.

hes not saying overall width... If youv seen the Zippers they arent much of a scoop as a paddle tire is... but have great traction for hardpacked snow. looking for somthing great all around.

ChargedGN
10-20-2009, 06:26 AM
He's refering to the tire diameter, I believe the zippers only come in 22"
After doing a search for snow tires the consencus is Maxxis 4- snow are the favorite which look identical to the zippers and also only seem to come in 22":ermm:

outtagas
10-20-2009, 08:15 AM
i put my tires i was using for trail riding in the snow on ebay right now. i was running a yfz 450 and just getting the quad as high as you can to stop it from pushing snow is important. rear are pure sports bandits 22 inch and fronts are 23 razr.

01shee
10-20-2009, 09:54 AM
I run the maxxis 4snow. I was going places my buddys rincon couldn't go. I had more grip with the 4snow in the snow then i did with my knarlys in the dirt.

ChargedGN
10-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I had more grip with the 4snow in the snow then i did with my knarlys in the dirt.

Cool:D Looks like I'll be getting a pair, you didn't have any special front tires that get on top of the snow? still using my stock ones.
I think I may look into studding my old rear tires to see how that works also:confused:

01shee
10-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I was running stock front tires. If you live some where that gets lots of snow. Its worth the investment to get the 4snows

Honda4life05
10-21-2009, 12:17 PM
i run mudsharks :)

dripinc09
10-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I have been looking at Kenda's snow mad tires. they look like they could be pretty decent. Not a bad price either. I think Ill probiobly end up using them.