PDA

View Full Version : Feels like LT80 is running out of gas...

10-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I just picked up a 1987 LT80. When I bought it the quad was in pieces and the owner said something was wrong with the carb. I bought it anyways and put it back together. It runs but here's the problem: It will only run for about a minute. When it runs, it runs great. After a short time, it feels like it's running out of fuel. It just dies. When I let it sit for a few minutes it starts back up. I cleaned the carb when I got it but I'm thinking maybe there's some more junk in there that got loosened up when I put gas in it. The fuel tank was empty when I got it. Is there something I am overlooking or is there probably just some junk in the carb? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

10-18-2009, 06:14 PM
It sounds like your float adjustment. Lets it slowly fill up and you use more than it can let in. Do you know how to set the float?

LT80
10-19-2009, 07:19 AM
No float adjustment...
It sounds like a petcock problem. I'd start by pulling the fuel supply hose off the carb and see if it's flowing fuel.
Petcock::: On is off till there is vaccum to the petcock. Prime should run fuel constantly.
Let's go from there. :)

10-19-2009, 06:12 PM
I'll yank the fuel line off of the carb and check for fuel flowing freely. I have been running it with the petcock in the "on" position. Should I leave it there? Like LT80 said, my manual says that "on" is actually "off" until the engine is started. Thanks for the help, guys.

bradrenea
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Do you have the vacuum hose hooked up between the petcock and carb?

Have you tried to run it with the petcock is on prime?

Check the petcock as LT80 stated and let us know what you find. (you'll need a vacuum pump to see if it is opening while "on")

10-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Update:

This thing never wanted to idle so I took the carb apart again and cleaned the pilot jet better. Put it back together and still no idle. Still would only run for a short time as well. Put it away for the day.

Got it back out last night. Started up first pull and ran like a champ. Idled good and never stalled out. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Maybe there was some crap in the tank and/or carb and it got flushed through. This isn't to say that it's fixed for good. It could start acting up again. For now it's better, though.

I'll keep you guys posted as I need to work out some chassis squeaks and clunks. Thanks for the help.