PDA

View Full Version : Idles EXTREMELY HIGH (not pilot or throttle stop screw..I think)

Chuck22
10-17-2009, 03:30 PM
I've been working on my father in-laws 4-wheeler for a couple weeks now and I finally have it running..sort of. This old thing gets used a few times a year (family events) and doesn't get pampered like most of the ones on this site. I intially assumed it was the carburetor when it wouldn't start.. and the local Honda dealer wanted $450.00 for a carb that doesn't even come fully assembled. I went to ebay and purchased a brand new one for $20.00 (Heck of a deal) and its identical to the factory one. My newest problem is the idle. I thought that I messed up the throttle but I fixed the tension in the cable and that seems to work fine. I dont exactly have the choke cable hooked up correctly, but I can adjust it manually so that isn't my problem right now. 10 minutes ago I figured I would go ahead and put it into 1st gear (with all the breaks on) just to see what would happen.. and was almost seriously hurt. Anyways. I'm alive and still stuck with this clunker wondering what else it could be. I've adjusted the pilot and throttle stop screws to the recommended specs.. the choke when warmed seems fine.. but yet it is still very loud. We have two other 4 wheelers that are about the same age and get about as much attention but they run just fine. ANY information would be greatly appreciated. Again I'm not a genius but I'm not an idiot. I purchased the manual online and have been following step-by-step instructions and not affraid to get my hands dirty if need be. Thanks for all the help!
Chuck

storms400ex
10-17-2009, 06:02 PM
did you make sure the idle screw isnt all the way in???? did you clean the carb and make sure it has the same jets as the other one???

Sjorge450R
10-17-2009, 06:12 PM
check the intake boot for cracks. When you took the other carb off you might have cracked the rubber (you said its old and old rubber boots crack easily)

If you cant visibly see anything, spray some carb cleaner around the boots when the motor is running and see if the engine idles up even higher...if it does, get new boots.

Chuck22
10-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I'll have to spray some carb cleaner and give it a try. The throttle stop screw and the pilot screw do absolutely nothing when I turn them either way. The new carb is identical to the factory one. I'll try using the old screws on the new carb. A new O-ring came with the new carb and the old O-ring didnt look in that bad of shape.

Sjorge450R
10-18-2009, 08:13 PM
The fact that you are telling us that the idle screw isnt doing anything is leading me to believe that its your boots OR a crack in the head. Air is getting in somewhere. Engines rev up when more air is available.

let us know how you make out. I am interested in knowing what it is.

Chuck22
10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the reccomendations guys.. You wont believe the solution. I tried to do some research on the throttle and carb in general.. and one of the articles mentioned to make sure that the cylinder that goes into the carb is in correctly! There is a slit on each side.. one for the throttle cable and one for the throttle stop screw. I had the cylinder in the wrong way. I know some of you say this is a rookie mistake but I guess it will help out some other person that may have the same problem.

Again.. thanks for the recommedations and hopefully I can contribute to a thread some day! This site turned out to be a good one.

Thanks,

Chuck