PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good site review on KFX

MtnEX
10-17-2009, 01:33 AM
I read through this ATVriders review.

http://www.atvriders.com/atvreviews/kawasaki-2010-kfx-450r-atv-worcs-atv-racing-ride-review.html

It's a pretty fair review, and the KFX gets pretty good marks.

In my opinion, they are not far off on their opinions.
The only thing I disagree with is the author's take on the low end power.

My '08 was extremely strong off the bottom stock.

It did suck from off-idle to a certain point.
But it's all business from there on.

The only 450 that rivals it stock for stock in low end is the KTM.

This wording from the author also contradicts the review of the '08 model.

I guess the author could be comparing to say a 400EX bottom? Anyways, they don't have the off-idle low RPM stall resistance of a 400EX, but none of the 450's do. And in terms of stock power, the KFX450's torque and HP curves intersect at around the 400EX's peak power... but it's only cranking a bit over 5000 RPM... about half way to red line.... so....

Some pushing problems were noted in both reviews, and also the turn radius.

I did not find the turn radius to be less than anything else... but not tight enough for me either. I had my stops on the lower milled down and it took care of that.

I have also experienced the pushing problems, only in certain particular conditions... very loose, off-camber, or tight uphill turns... but mostly only with a combination of those... So the problem is not to the degree I have experienced on Honda 450's.

There are 2 things that I finally found to take care of this though. One is that very often, the toe-in is not set "in-spec" from the factory and is typically missed. The other is that the stock front shocks have a HUGE range of adjustability in the rebound department.

What I mean is that in a range of about 20 clicks you can go from instant rebound to no rebound... literally.

The front end comes stock set up 2 clicks from the middle, towards hard for compression... and set about in the middle for rebound.

In any event, the rebound adjustment in conjunction with the compression can be set where the bike feels perfect 99% of the time, but that 1% of the time the front end washes out.

I've achieved that at various different settings for different conditions.

Slowing the rebound takes this push away.

This is one nice shock that in stock form seems to respond a lot more to rebound adjustments than it does to compression adjustments.... for some reason I don't know.

Sprung a little stiff in the front maybe?
I'm no guru on suspension, but that's my suspicion.

I for one have been considering trying LEVELING my frame rake... dropping the front by reliving a little preload...

It might be that this bike does not need the typical 1/4" or more of frame rake the others do?

Somebody has to experiment I guess.

heelclickinonaR
10-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Not a bad review. I agree with the bottom end power and pushing in the front end.

I just picked up a 2010 a couple weeks ago. I have a modified 250R, so the four stroke was all new to me. My R will definitely outrun this bike, but I bought this for trail riding. I keep looking for sixth gear. Haha. This bike has some awesome features that made me choose it over the Honda. You gotta love the reverse and fuel injection.

Overall, I'm happy with my choice. No regrets. :D

MtnEX
10-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by heelclickinonaR
Not a bad review. I agree with the bottom end power and pushing in the front end.

I just picked up a 2010 a couple weeks ago. I have a modified 250R, so the four stroke was all new to me. My R will definitely outrun this bike, but I bought this for trail riding. I keep looking for sixth gear. Haha. This bike has some awesome features that made me choose it over the Honda. You gotta love the reverse and fuel injection.

If you are finding yourself hunting 6th gear a lot, do an FCI intake system, Jardine RT 99 full exhaust system, and Dynojet PC 3 or 5, and load the map for these mods.

Then jump up to a 15t front sprocket.

Myself, I ride fast, but it's "fast for conditions" back in the woods. I don't really hit 5th gear pinned to the rev limiter. Not that kind of room around here. So I actually installed a 13t front just to try tomorrow.

In my opinion, they didn't get the trans "ideal" for too much when they adapted the engine from the MX bike.

The ratios are too close, and on top of it, 1st is a bit high for me and 5th is a bit low for you guys.

Myself, I like to have a 1st gear like a granny gear to crawl... and use 2nd up the rest of the time... no accidential neutrals and stuff.

I think they really need to make the 450's 6 speed with long ratios.

jimmyjames1700
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by heelclickinonaR

The bottem end is better with tires that actually hook up. I've never noticed a push in the front end, in fact I think it steers perfect for me becuase it's super easy to break the rear end loose. It's point and shoot steering in my opinion.

MtnEX
10-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by jimmyjames1700
The bottem end is better with tires that actually hook up. I've never noticed a push in the front end, in fact I think it steers perfect for me becuase it's super easy to break the rear end loose. It's point and shoot steering in my opinion.

What is your weight?

And what is your setup?

Sag?

Ride Height?

Frame rake?

jimmyjames1700
10-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
What is your weight?

And what is your setup?

Sag?

Ride Height?

Frame rake?

Wow, Am I being interrogated here?

MtnEX
10-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by jimmyjames1700
Wow, Am I being interrogated here?

:D

No... I just figured you would be familiar with your own body weight...

And I figured your setup would be fresh in your mind since you just had your suspension reworked...

It would be useful for me to compare, because I had hell getting the front to hook ANYWHERE reliably...

And I also have to reset mine entirely because I just figured out my ride height has dropped 1/4" at the pegs since I set it up initially.

So now I have had too much frame rake for I don't know how long. I'm thinking level to 1/4" is going to produce the most responsive turning at all times?

I'm also trying to decide if I'm going to lower the front down or raise the rear to settle it back out.

jimmyjames1700
10-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
What is your weight?

And what is your setup?

Sag?

Ride Height?

Frame rake?

When I was running stockers I didn't touch the preload in the front or rear. My ride height was 7 1/4" under the pegs and the front was a little more than 7 3/8". My rear sag was close to 5".

As far as clickers go, I ran the stock front compression at 12 clicks out and the rebound at 7 clicks out. In the rear, I ran the low speed 11 clicks out and the hi speed at 1-3/8 turns out. I put the rear rebound 5 clicks out. All settings were from the full in position.

With my Noleen J6 rebuilds, my rear ride height is now a touch under 7 5/8" and the front is a touch more than 7 3/4" and the rear sag is about 4 1/2". That's how they came set up from Clark.

Does this help any? Like I said before, I've never had a problem with steering this machine and always felt it that it was totally flickable around turns.

MtnEX
10-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Yes... that is a lot of help.

It's by far the most specific info anyone has shared with me.

Pretty close to what I set up to...

7 1/4" @ pegs (changed to 7" on me)

7 1/2" @ front

5" race sag...

Gotta correct what ever changed there.