PDA

View Full Version : wanting the most out of my fox evols- Percision stabilizer

ALXKFX450R
10-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Im riding a KFX 450 and im looking for suggestion settings for both front and rear shocks.Fox evol DSC and Fox podium single rate.Houser long travel front,and stock linkage in rear.18"rears 20" fronts.I weigh 180lbs. I ride this bike MX only, I would consider myself a desent C class rider. I keep 150psi in the evols and 50psi in the mains. I believe my ride height is at 6 3/4 in the front and 6 1/2 in the back. Im looking for some advice on fine tuning.My rear shock felt very ridgid so my buddy told me to slow down the rebound which did work but seems too slow.I try to get to a track every weekend and try to play with it but I end up just riding as much as I can. I guess I just dont know enough about it. Also what settings are you guys running Percision stabilizers. Any help would be great. Thanks

racernorris
10-18-2009, 05:23 PM
first off.....check your axle location in the carrier....(consider it a clock face) is it at 12:00 (all the way to the top) or some where near the top? if so take your chain off and rotate the axle down toward the bottom some where between 4-9 o'clock.

second....put the quad on a stand, loosen the preload nut on the rear shock, until the spring is loose, run the nut down 1 full turn and tighten the set screw.

third.....have some one check your ride height (with you on it).
the magic number we are looking for in the rear is 6 3/4 to 7 inches, the front should be 1/4 to 1 inch higher than the rear (you need to try different ride height differential) this is just the starting point! to adjust your ride height just add or subtract pressure from you main chamber. you cannot set your ride height if your axle is at the top of the carrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fourth....i assume your shocks are hi/lo speed compression adjustable, if so your 18mm compression adjuster is your hi speed (for the big jumps and big holes) the flat head screw in the middle is your low speed (for traction/weight transfer) if you are wheeling to much turn the low speed in... if you are spinning to much turn the low speed out. on the front....if you are rolling in the front turn the low speed in, if your pushing in the front turn the low speed out.

fox shocks are the most adjustable shocks on the market, but there are to many people that don't understand what the adjustments do! this will get you started!!!!!!!

Norris Quinn
Quinn motorsports

ALXKFX450R
10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks, that helped a lot. When you say turn the slow compression in.....do you mean by firming up the shocks? Any thoughts on rebound?

dustin_j
10-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by racernorris
first off.....check your axle location in the carrier....(consider it a clock face) is it at 12:00 (all the way to the top) or some where near the top? if so take your chain off and rotate the axle down toward the bottom some where between 4-9 o'clock.

you cannot set your ride height if your axle is at the top of the carrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Norris Quinn
Quinn motorsports

I haven't thought of axle/carrier location. Is this to keep the rear of the frame from bottoming? It seems like this would be an artificial way to lower ride height, but geometry would change slightly. Please expand on this if you have time.

Thanks,
Dustin

racernorris
10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
if you turn the hi or low speed clock wise it stiffens the shock, the difference is hi speed (18mm nut) is to adjust for big jumps and big holes! the low speed (flat head screw) is traction control, clock wise makes less traction (less body roll in the front), and ccw allows more body roll or weight transfer (more traction).

if it very muddy turn the low speed out (ccw) allows more body roll=weight transfer=traction......this is the same in the rear, if you need more traction turn the low speed ccw allows more weight transferred to the rear =more traction.

as for axle location in the carrier......you hit the nail on the head...my customers send me a rear shock and say that its bottoming out, first thing i look at is the bumper, if the bumper is destroyed they are correct and i re valve and/or re spring. but if the bumper still looks new....i call them and ask where there axle is, and to look at the bottom of the frame, if the axle is at the top there frame is killed. now there is two fixes (and they do not include heaver springs) first i can install spacers under the bumper to allow the shock bumper to hit before the frame hits the ground, or most of the time they just rotate the axle toward the bottom and it fixes the problem (most of the time).
Norris Quinn
Quinn motorsports

dustin_j
10-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by racernorris

Norris Quinn
Quinn motorsports

Thank you for the explanation and very informative posts!

Dustin