PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Pivot Bolt

justinh
11-22-2001, 12:45 PM
Hey,

I am pretty knew to 400ex's only had mine a couple weeks, while trying to solve my rattling belly skid today i notice that the nut on my swingarm pivot bolt is loose, is this common? i used to have a 300ex that had all sorts of problems in that area but that was because it had a hard life with a LARGE fellow before it got to me. anyway, i tightened it back up and road for a few minutes and came back and checked it and it was loose again....anyone else have this problem? i know they make those chromoly pivot bolts, will that by chance help my problems?

thanks

papaw
11-22-2001, 03:03 PM
never had that problem but those bolts tend to sieze up if not maintained.

Moto92
11-22-2001, 03:48 PM
what do you mean maintained... how do you maintain a bolt?

justinh
11-22-2001, 05:25 PM
i think what i am going to do it go get some locktight and put it on the threads i don't want to torque it down on there to much because with my luck something will end up binding or bending or flat out breaking.....hopefully locktight will make a nice snug fit, i thought it may have been caused by the nut touching the frame and the bolt being rusted to the needle bearings causing the bolt to rotate with the actions of the swingarm and the rubbing of the nut on the frame making the nut loose and vibrations taking care of the rest of it...just a theory....

papaw
11-26-2001, 03:34 PM
i don't have my manual handy but it does have a torque spec.not saying that it will fix your problem but if its torqued properly you should not have any trouble.fearthis justinh just answered your question in his last post,keep the bolt and bearings greased that bolt and bearing will sieze up and its a b#@!$ to get out when that happens!!!!!!