PDA

View Full Version : 250r will milled/shaved head question help please

86250rbanshee
10-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I just did a reuild on my 86 250r it had stock jug and head I believe about 150psi before build had a fiber head gasket. I took head off and shave quite a bit off did a squish test and have about .050 If you were to look at the bottom of the head the part that resees where the dome of the head comes up to meet the sealing surface normally is ledged a bit it is now basically gone. I'm sorta afraid that Iif I go much below where I'm at I will have problems with it overheating??? I have a new fiber gasket came iwth kit, OEM trx250r 3 pc gasket with rivets removed and also a cr250 gasket. I want to be around the 185-195psi range so maybe don't have to run full race gase. All of my riding is woods/trail riding. What are some suggestions please help

LONG-ROD
10-16-2009, 06:18 PM
do a compression test. I'm sure you don't need to take any more off.

86 Quad R
10-16-2009, 06:37 PM
you kinda went at it backwards..... i would have went at it with the one layer trx gasket ot the cr b 4 shaving the head. reason being that in most cases you can get around the 185 mark without shaving the head.

86250rbanshee
10-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Well at the time I wrote this motor was on bench nows its in bike so I was able to do a good comp test on it, with the head the way it was I had 270psi using the 2 thin pieces from the trx gasket. I had another head laying around made sure flat and used same 2 gaskets they are coated with threebond :) I got 210psi. I'd like to try to get it down a bit more border line race gas maybe a 50/50 blen would be ok. So I think I am going to try the thick part of the OEM gasket and see where I'm at. What I don't understand how could my squish be so large around .050-060 and I be getting compression like that. I guess your right should have tossed a thin one on then tried it.

86 Quad R
10-16-2009, 08:01 PM
with the last head you tried and the complete three layer gasket you should get around 190-200 approx. these 250r cylinders vary drastically when it comes to the piston to deck height. ive seen virgin cylinders range from as lil as .060 to as much as .125" you may very well have one of the short ones. which is fortunenate. the tall deck heights are the ones that give you fits when trying to play with compression using stock heads.