PDA

View Full Version : changing chain and sprockets?

tbrackman84
10-16-2009, 03:49 PM
what does it take to take an old chain and front and rear sprocket off and replace them with new?? i am just not sure whats up with the masterlink on the chain....
thanks

katch26
10-16-2009, 03:54 PM
the stock one doesnt have one you have to cut it off

katch26
10-16-2009, 03:55 PM
after that ots just taking bolts off

slightlybent47
10-16-2009, 06:55 PM
It's very easy to do.
First loosen the left wheel lugs and then block up the rear and take the wheel off.
Then loosen the two Allen screws on the chain adjuster on the swing arm and turn the adjuster and loosen the chain.
Use a grinder or bolt cutters and cut the old chain off, the stock chain dose not have a master link.
Then take the front chain guard and chain stop off. There should be two 10mm (I think) bolts that hold the sprocket on.
Slide the front sprocket off and replace and put the two bolts back in the front sprocket.
Then replace the rear sprocket and rotate the chain adjuster to the closest point to the front of the swing arm.
Put the new chain on and check to see where it needs to be cut.
Most chains come a few links to long.
Cut you’re new chain and put that on and adjust it and check that you have plenty of room to adjust it after you ride it some.
Put the front chain guard back on and the wheel on and you’re done.

Get two or three master links and keep them as spars. The reason is that sometimes when you slip on the clip on the master link the clip will fly across the shop and it will disappear forever!!! LOL!!!
The O ring chains are the worst for that.
Also when you put the clip in the master link make sure it is in the right direction. i.e. open end is to the rear of the rotation.

Just use the steel sprockets they last the longest. And don’t skimp on the chain spend the money and get the best one you can afford.
The cheep ones stretch and don’t last.

Very simple and easy to do. I say go for it.