PDA

View Full Version : How much weight have you had on your pickup?

250rAL
10-16-2009, 03:26 PM
I once had 4250lbs. on my '77 F150. My current '87 F150 has had 2400lbs. on it. Whats the most you've done?

extremeblastr
10-16-2009, 03:29 PM
2500 pound race car in 24ft enlosed trailer on a 4cyl toyota pickup it made it to the track with rub in the rear wheelwells and nothing broke lol ,we did not consider this the greatest idea but at the time i did not own a truck and the owner of the race cars trucks tranny was down so we made due

bens250ex
10-16-2009, 05:10 PM
i have hauled, car haulers with full size trucks on them, 30ft rock walls, couple smaller 20ft enclosed trailers. not sure of the weight but the truck didn't flinch.

10-16-2009, 05:34 PM
In the pickup bed?

Well, we have a 97 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4x4 dually.
We have had well over 5,000lbs in the pickup bed, of huge amounts of barstock, that stick past the tailgate and puts more leverage on the suspension. I think it squated maybe 2-3inches, no lie.

It's rediculously stiff. With nothing in the back the suspension DOES NOT move. And even with 5,000 plus, it still rides pretty hard.

They weren't kidding when they put HD in the name. lol.

10-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh and as far as towing, we tow our boat (around 7-8k pounds fully loaded) with no problem whatsoever.

BTW it's a 454 Vortec big block, with 4:56 gears.

maxxedout
10-16-2009, 06:54 PM
i hav a 09 2500hd duramax and i had 5600#s of portland cement bags in the bed while pulling a 40ft pintel hitch trailer loaded with a case back hoe and a bobcat. i went through some scales just to see how much i grossed and i was 35,000# counting the 8000#s the truck is.

10-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by maxxedout
i hav a 09 2500hd duramax and i had 5600#s of portland cement bags in the bed while pulling a 40ft pintel hitch trailer loaded with a case back hoe and a bobcat. i went through some scales just to see how much i grossed and i was 35,000# counting the 8000#s the truck is.

27,000lbs :eek2:

I'm sorry but I have to raise a flag on that one. I can't see a pickup truck pulling that much...

250rAL
10-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
In the pickup bed?

Yeah, in the bed itself.

250rAL
10-16-2009, 07:20 PM

The fine for that would set you back.

tri5ron
10-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by 250rAL
The fine for that would set you back. not to mention the jail time if you hit/hurt someone.

extremeblastr
10-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
27,000lbs :eek2:

I'm sorry but I have to raise a flag on that one. I can't see a pickup truck pulling that much...

why? it may not be suggested by the manufacturer but if a person on his feet can be strapped to a tri axle and make it move (obviously not your average person but there are plenty out there) then why can't a diesel truck pull a little more then twice that.

10-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
why? it may not be suggested by the manufacturer but if a person on his feet can be strapped to a tri axle and make it move (obviously not your average person but there are plenty out there) then why can't a diesel truck pull a little more then twice that.

Because engine's DO have their limits. I know the diesels have more power, but when towing 7-8k pounds with the big block (which still makes 410ft lbs torque down low) You KNOW it's back there. I can't picture 3x that weight..

And if he's telling the truth, then that engine was STRAINING the whole time..

KevinAb
10-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Yea, BS on this. 35k lbs? Maybe a couple times before it leaves you on the side of the road. 40ft pintel hitch? My 20ft pintel triple axle is a beast behind a dump truck. Pics or BS.

blacknblue#2
10-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by KevinAb
Yea, BS on this. 35k lbs? Maybe a couple times before it leaves you on the side of the road. 40ft pintel hitch? My 20ft pintel triple axle is a beast behind a dump truck. Pics or BS.

agreed!!!! sounds like another one of those "i got a diesel so i can pull what a semi does" kinda guys. a 40 foot pintle would be a beast for sure. My 30 foot single wheel tandem axle gooseneck aint no feather itself. Plus a bobcat and a Hoe???The hoe itself would be a load. We collect international tractors. Im always the one pulling our 1066 which weighs in at 12000LBS. with that tractor, a set of suitcase weights and my 30 foot gooseneck i got a load on my 06 powerstroke. Im not saying the truck dont have the power to pull it. Power aint the biggest issue, dont get me wrong i know its back there but your biggest issue trying to drag a hoe and a skidsteer is gonna be trying to stop it. Your 1ton truck dont have the truck itself or the breaks to handle that load. i want pictures too. and im sure the D.O.T would love to see you in person. They aint dumb if they see that exact load behind a pickup, they know your overloaded.

maxxedout
10-17-2009, 08:15 PM
first of all im not one of those just cause i got a diesel i can pull the world guys. the 35k was gross counting the truck.i was just pulling it a few miles from a pasture to where we were building a barn and the truck can handle that no prob with the 10k air bags i have on it. as far as it only being able to do it a couple of times ur wrong on that my friend i built this truck to pull. its not stock it has a suncoast stg4 trans ats compound turbo setup with aurora 3000 and aurora 5000, efi live tuning by me, water/methonal injection, and dual modded cp3 injection pumps with airdog lift pump. if these mods make no sence to you then u hav no right to even begin to call bs on me.

rodeo#11
10-17-2009, 08:22 PM
i let my future mother-in-law ride shotgun one day...got new shocks the next ;)

bens250ex
10-17-2009, 08:27 PM
first of all im not one of those just cause i got a diesel i can pull the world guys. the 35k was gross counting the truck.i was just pulling it a few miles from a pasture to where we were building a barn and the truck can handle that no prob with the 10k air bags i have on it. as far as it only being able to do it a couple of times ur wrong on that my friend i built this truck to pull. its not stock it has a suncoast stg4 trans ats compound turbo setup with aurora 3000 and aurora 5000, efi live tuning by me, water/methonal injection, and dual modded cp3 injection pumps with airdog lift pump. if these mods make no sence to you then u hav no right to even begin to call bs on me.

i want to see pics of your set up

fastredrider44
10-17-2009, 09:34 PM
I had nearly 2 tons of pea gravel in the bed of 84 K10 Chevy. I had to beat the tailgate back straight though. Front end was kinda light.:rolleyes: Not one of the smarter things I've done.

spanky101
10-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Id be stoked to just see that dmax man. Sounds like when shes unloaded shed be a runner for sure!

blacknblue#2
10-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Those mods make all the since in the world to me which makes me call even more BS. if your pulling that kind of load on the road with those mods you obviously have no knowledge of a diesel engine. More fuel+ more air can only equal one thing.....more heat!! if your pulling a hoe and a skidsteer behind a truck thats already producing that kind of heat than your just asking to melt that truck down. The mods you listed are a good set-up for a 300 foot pull. Anything over that your just junking your truck. Carry on with your BS

Nac's22
10-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500hd Classic. It has the Duramax/Allison combo and it is a 4 door short bed truck. In the bed of my truck its either a pallet of cement or a pallet of cement brick. Not sure what it weights but its a decent amount. Most on the trailer was my 8.5X20 enclosed with my friends 2004 dodge ram 1500 4 door short bed in it after he broke the torsion key on the right front. Trailer weighs 4,000 and the truck weighs 5,700 I think (when I had one the weight limit for passanger car plates was 5,500 and my truck didn't make it but now that teh law was changed to 5,800 it makes it.)So that totals up to 9,700 plus the weight of m truck which is somewhere around 7,500 lbs I think? I had about 16,200 lbs rolling down the road.... give or take if I'm wrong on the weights of the trucks. No pics of the cement, I have a pic of the truck in the trailer and a pic of the truck in my trailer hooked up to my friends 2001 Chevy 2500hd Duramax...... my truck hauled it better but I had to drop it to get to class.

maxxedout
10-18-2009, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by blacknblue#2- apperantly u hav no idea what u are talking about true more air and fuel can cause mpre heat if tuned improperly. why do you think i hav the twins and water/meth to keep the egts down and its not like i pulled that with my race tune. if u really hav any knowledge of a diesel you would know that the only time u hav a oproblem with heat is when u dont have enough air to completly burn the amount of fuel in the combustion chamber. hence my compound turbo set-up i hav more then enough air to keep my egts down not to mention the w/m on top to keep the egts down futher. so dont try to tell me about a diesel and its workings unless u really know what u r talking about witch by your last statement u dont. this will be my last post in this thread cause it seams that there are a few people that belive they are a diesel prodigy witch they are not. so to those few keep beliving what u want i know diesels.

tri5ron
10-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Max,
The easiest way to put everyone to shame, who is calling you out, would be to post a pic of your awsome truck, with your quad sitting next to it.

the easiest way to gain no respect, is to continue to post with info that is easily obtainable with a simple google search.

try doing something like this,....

Here's a pick of my truck and camper. the camper weighs in at 4200 lbs. before food, clothes, toys, 40 gals. of water, and 14 gals. of propane, and my family. truck/camper in this config. come in at 11,200 lbs.

this is also not counting the trailer, which has 3 landsailers, 4 quads, fuel, tools, and firewood. I don't know what the trailer weighs loaded, but I'd be guessing it's around 4000 lbs.

Even with the upgraded suspension, brakes, airbags, swaybars, shocks, .... yes, I'm overweight.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_7354.jpg

10-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Max, we know you're new to the forum but I will tell you that black knows about his diesels... I'm sure his Dmax would probably eat yours alive. Ahaha.

mxduner
10-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Like said above, the breaks are the biggest issue. max which model skid loader and hoe where they?

Guy400
10-19-2009, 05:30 AM
I don't know what the weight was but I was driving through Columbus, OH one morning and there was a late 70's F-150 full of concrete blocks. It was heavy enough that the frame had bent about a foot in front of the rear tires and the bed sides had buckled.

We were going camping one weekend and on my uncle's '91 Silverado 4x4 with the 5.7 and auto tranny we had his 24' Terry camper on it and then hitched to the camper we had his 16' ski boat. On his '77 Cheyenne 4x4 (that I was driving) were two quads in the bed and then an 18' tandem axle trailer with a Power King tractor and two more quads on it.

dns1764
10-19-2009, 07:01 AM
ifilled the bed of my 97 f150 with cobble stones. i have no clue on the weight but its a 4x4 off road edition and i am now missing half of my mudflaps from them scrappin on the ground

also, at work we have golfcarts with flat beds to go between the warehouses. i had about 750 pounds on one. i was pulling wheelies across the parking lot until the front came up too high and the bed hit the ground. the front wheels were a good 3 feet off the ground

blacknblue#2
10-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks nova, and Maxxed this will also be my last post in this thread....its your truck do what you want to it. I have a Max with quite a few more mods than yours and it does one thing 300ft at a time. as for everyday use. my ford is my baby............

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/Lynchburgpull010.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/Lynchburgpull009.jpg

JLanphear
10-19-2009, 08:38 AM
I have a newer Tundra with the tow package and so far in the 2+ years I've owned it I've hauled my quad in the bed, and never towed a thing with it...lol. Though I know plenty of people with HD trucks that do no more than that too.

dns1764
10-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Thanks nova, and Maxxed this will also be my last post in this thread....its your truck do what you want to it. I have a Max with quite a few more mods than yours and it does one thing 300ft at a time. as for everyday use. my ford is my baby............

it does one thing 300ft at a time. sounds like the gay quote from the fast and furious "i live my life a quarter mile at a time"

tri5ron
10-19-2009, 09:37 AM
would this be considered as being "Over- loaded" ???
even if I grind the header welds down, and use a K&N , and remove the choke plate, with a stage 3 hot cam, and Walmart Hubcaps?????

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_7053.jpg

Guy400
10-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
would this be considered as being "Over- loaded" ???
even if I grind the header welds down, and use a K&N , and remove the choke plate, with a stage 3 hot cam, and Walmart Hubcaps?????

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_7053.jpg Nope. Looks good to me :D If the axle isn't down on the snubbers than you're still good to go!

hondariderdylan
10-19-2009, 11:10 AM
this past summer we loaded down a late model GMC 1500 with the middle grade motor(not sure witch one,not a GM guy) and then hooked up our tandem axle lanscape trailer, filled the trailer up with about 10 mediums sized tractor scoops of WET mushroom compost, then filled the bed of it up with wet fill dirt and tools, the tires scrubbed several times and when it got to highway speeds it seemed like the entire back of the truck and the trailer were floating around in the lane

kinda scarry to ride in it:ermm:

dns1764
10-19-2009, 11:11 AM
love your quote

Scro
10-19-2009, 11:41 AM
When I was younger, a dumbass at work decided it was too much work to unload pallets from the back of a 1/2 ton pickup by hand. So he proceeded to drive the forklift onto the truck from the dock.:p Needless to say the truck's suspension was completely compressed, and the tires were damn near flat. My dad fired him on the spot.:D

J.Brown121
10-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Scro
When I was younger, a dumbass at work decided it was too much work to unload pallets from the back of a 1/2 ton pickup by hand. So he proceeded to drive the forklift onto the truck from the dock.:p Needless to say the truck's suspension was completely compressed, and the tires were damn near flat. My dad fired him on the spot.:D

lol. when i work at a moving company we had a guy that tried to drive a forklift into the back of one of our box vans without checking to see if it would even fit. he smashed the roll up door and screwed up the whole cargo area. lol

Lowcountrydave
10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Heaviest load I have hauled in my 91 Toyota 4x4 with close to 400,000 miles. Every piece of tile, marble, porcelin, and granite for our house we are buidling! I really wish I had weighed each box so I had a accurate weight. My truck is a 1/2 ton.

Dave

S.A.J
10-20-2009, 02:36 PM
43,000lbs. Load from Texas to North Dakota about 1,200 miles.Not me,but i know these guys very well.

The 43k is JUST the trailors so with the truck itd be prolly 50kish.
Its a 2007.5 with the 6.7 and factory 6speed auto,237,000miles or so,5" turbo back which is dpf delete and S&B cold air intake, that's it,normally hauls loads about 30,000lbs and the tranny was starting to slip before this one but still did good.

S.A.J
10-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Last one

Pipeless416
10-20-2009, 04:45 PM
figured i'd snap this picture as i was walking to class today. its a case 580 super m..

Pipeless416
10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by S.A.J
Last one

they would be absolutely screwed if anything ever went wrong with that. thats just a bad idea and asking for trouble. :rolleyes:

Sjorge450R
10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
I had about two bob cat scoops of top soil in my 87 4x4 dakota....then it rained...... bad news. I drove around for about 2 weeks like that because I was too lazy to get rid of it all.

S.A.J
10-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah one would be quite screwed then,but i think they try and drive in the night.
But it goes to show that its DEF. possible to haul that much and still have reliability cause that about the only thing they use that truck for is just hauling loads of trailors.

bluebaron
10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
With our old chevy 3/4 ton 5.7 we regularly haul 35,000lbs+ loads of grain in a grain wagon to town, about 10 miles. But that's no down pressure on the hitch and only going like 20-25 mph.

mittman
10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Just had a 7,000 on the hemi this weekend(its first load)