PDA

View Full Version : Burning up stators?

44oEX
10-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Ok, I have a 04 450R and love it, absolutely no problems at all. The only thing is that I keep burning out stators. I only had one go out completely on me. The others just get brown/ black from heat probably. I don`t get it. I use the bike for mx in the summer, and trails in the winter. I only have the stock lights on.

The only thing I can think of would be the tether switch, since it`s pretty much causing a dead short (grouning the stator) everytime you use it. I have it hooked to the coil like most people. I do use the switch alot (everytime the motor gets turn off) Could this be my problem? Anyone else having this having this happen? I change them out about once a year... they shold last longer then that.

duke416ex
10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Are you changing them out cause they get the burnt look or does the bike stop firing? My bike is an 04 and I just now had to replace my first one, come to find out I think I had another problem.

44oEX
10-16-2009, 10:35 AM
I am changing them out because they look burnt. Because on my first one, it got so bad and the spark was so weak that the motor would work good, but I would have trouble outrunning a 300ex. And the only problem was the stator. I just don`t want to get in any power lost, so when they looked burn, I change them.

But they should never get to looking burnt.

duke416ex
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Sounds like somethign else is going on. Does your oil not get extremely hot? Looks like if the stator is getting that hot then it would be heating up the entire inside of the engine cases. My stator looks brown, but has never hurt performance. There are really only 2 coils on the stator that make the spark, the rest are for your lights and other stuff.

44oEX
10-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Well, I don`t really know how hot the oil gets.

I`m just wandering what could cause the stator to get hot. Could it be the tether switch?

Ruf Racing
10-16-2009, 03:26 PM
I believe you have other issues. While stators do fail, they will
last longer than one a year. I've replaced one in 5 years.

44oEX
10-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Well like I said. They don`t go bad, I change them before they do. but they should still not turn brown.

duke416ex
10-16-2009, 05:35 PM
The oil will stain it a brownish color, I just put one in 1 race ago and I would bet it is already brown. Move the kill switch to the black and white wire to the ignition.

44oEX
10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, that would make sense...never figured on that. But the really dark brown and black spots are probably still not good.

I will move the kill switch

Rich250RRacer
10-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I haven't seen any problems with the 04-05 stators yet, but I've changed four of them on 06-newer quads for various customers. One guy had the stators on both his 07's go out two days apart. :confused: