PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding engine...have ?'s

morganriders
10-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I am in the middle of rebuilding a stock blaster motor. I got this quad with a hole in the piston. Looks like it had ran lean. I am new to these blasters as my son races a cobra and this will be his play bike. I have heard about the key breaking...what is the best way to remove the flywheel to check this? Also, what are the rubber pads in the air fins on the cylinder and the head and do these serve a purpose? Seems to kinda restrict the head torqueing down properly to the cylinder...but what do I know! What else should I look for while I have this apart? The reeds look good and cannot see any light shining through at the edges but should I replace them anyway? Any additional help would be great. Thanks.

headache
10-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Is the oil injector still attached? If so can it, cause it probably went bad and thats why it burnt a hole in the piston! Your going to need a puller to get the flywheel off, but more than likely theres no need to pull it.. The rubber pads just serve as a noise reducer from the motor, you can take them off if you want. I always have. Unless your wanting a little more pep, just leave the stock reeds in. Although i recommend the vitos carbon flex reeds, they are cheap and are the same as boyesen pro series

morganriders
10-16-2009, 02:37 PM
the stock injection has been blocked off. The carb was being held in place by a large zip tie rather than the clamp on the intake boot so probably sucked air in there and ran extremely lean would be my guess. I will just take my chances and not check the key since I am not looking for any more pep. This will be his learner quad for a manual clutch and something to ride around since he can't just ride his cobra for fun...they build up too much heat. Any more input would be great, like I said...I am new to blasters...............oh what in the **** is all that garbage on the carb...man what happened to a simple carb?

headache
10-17-2009, 11:33 AM
thats the Tors module on top. Its supposed to help keep from the throttle ever hanging wide open.. Its really just a piece of crap that gets in the way.
yea get a clamp on that intake. The stock main jet is a 230 or 240 depending on year model and altitude. might want to check that too. pilot is a 32.5