PDA

View Full Version : Broken collar bone recovery time?

Jim417mx
10-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, my gforce snapped on take off.. yes on take off up a 50-60 foot jump,(EXACTLY like that one photoshopped picture from years ago) so I tried saving it but the impact jolted me to the ground so fast I couldnt do anything, ended up breaking my collar bone.. Its been 3 weeks and the more people I talk to the more say its gonna be harder to ride. I still have minimal movement to that arm and was wondering how I'm going to be able to ride again at A level competition if I can barely move my arm, one guy at work broke his 10 years ago and he can only move his 2/3 of the way... kinda making me think racing is over? How have you guys recovered and how long did it take?

QuadJunkies
10-15-2009, 04:58 PM
My Daughter was back on after 3 weeks,but she had surgery on hers. Her clavical was a very bad break and needed a plate an screws. My Husband broke his and it was a good 4-6 weeks . I think it all depends on the break itself.
As for ending your racing... I highly doubt you will have to go that extreme ;)

My Ole man got a locked up socket from being in a sling so long. Once he got a shot of Cortizone, almost instantly he felt better and was riding within the week.

dan harris
10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
I've broke both collar bones, one of them 2 times. Still riding with no problems. If I had to choose a bone to break it would be my collar bone. It heals fast. After the third or fourth week you need to work on using it and regaining motion.

Listen to your Dr., Like someone else posted, all breaks are different. Good luck !

300extreme#8
10-15-2009, 05:50 PM
most people regain full motion in 6 weeks. I broke mine really bad when i was 15, was a clean break and seperated the bone 1 3/4 of an inch from where it broke and had muscle and tissue between the bone. I rode the next day(which was stupid) but I really couldnt do much. after surgery it took about a month for me to get comfortable moving around. the 2nd time i broke it i didn't go to the doctor b/c parents already spent too much money on my medical bills. So i let it grow back on its on. if its not bad you should regain movement in a month but u'll have problems for awhile bc its gonna feel uncomfortable from where you babied it so long. but once you get full movement its not near as bad.

quad2xtreme
10-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by dan harris
I've broke both collar bones, one of them 2 times. Still riding with no problems. If I had to choose a bone to break it would be my collar bone. It heals fast. After the third or fourth week you need to work on using it and regaining motion.

Listen to your Dr., Like someone else posted, all breaks are different. Good luck !

me too. 3 collarbone breaks. I've recovered with full movement each time. Maybe I was lucky on where I broke it. I seem to remember being in the harness contraption about 6 weeks each time.

ROLLIN
10-15-2009, 06:12 PM
i had a gforce axle break on a 60+ table at bpg, no broken bones though. running a dominator 2 now, enough of that. look at the lastest addition of Motocross Action mag, there's an article on broken collar-bone recovery. it's the one with the new 2010 yamaha dirtbike on the cover.

S.A.J
10-15-2009, 06:44 PM
i didnt break it but i fractured/cracked it,it no fun but mine took about 2months mayb but its all good now cant tell it ever hapened and ive lifted weights alot afterwards and its all good.

rappin_ernie
10-15-2009, 09:58 PM
It really depends how bad it is. I fractured my collar bone when my bike stalled going up a jump and I nose dived into the second part of a double. It hurt really bad to lift my arm and I couldn't throw for ****. It took about 2 months and I was back jumping but it still hurt a bit. It's now been 4 months and it doesn't effect me at all. But once again, I just fractured mine. Best of luck in your recovery!

Mike

QuadJunkies
10-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Unless we remove Kelseys hardware in hers ,she will always have a sore spot. She almost punchured her lung.
Her hardware really bothers her in the winter when it gets cold,it aches alot and makes it tough to wear a bathing suit or anything really that touches it (a little nerve damage from surgery) she also cant wear the neck braces now as they hurt her .
One thing good was the recovery time was sooo much faster than if she hadnt had the surgery. The Dr. said her bones may have never united and she would have had a very ugly deformation, als ogood she was pretty much done growing ...

I wonder why they dont perform this procedure more often instand of having people so miserable??
She felt 50% better after one week and the cost wasnt as much as I thought it would be . It only took them 20 minutes.
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/100568296.jpg

300extreme#8
10-15-2009, 10:22 PM
^ thats exactly what mine looked like, how far appart was hers seperated?

QuadJunkies
10-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
^ thats exactly what mine looked like, how far appart was hers seperated? 2+ inches the day of surgery.

I dont care to ever see her tumble like that again... :ermm:

Blizzard24
10-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I broke my collar bone... no surgery but it took about 12 weeks to fully heal. No problems with it at all and that was about 4 years ago.

Just give it time and listen to the Dr.

MX MaNiAc 06
10-16-2009, 08:04 AM
6 weeks is the estimated time for a full recovery for a collar bone fracture. Don't half-*** the PT and you should get your full range of motion back in no time.

Zakradu398
10-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Ive broken my collarbone 3 times and it took 4-6 weeks to heal everytime so far, I haven't had to get surgery though.

miller821
10-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Broke mine August 1st of this year, and was good as new by September 1st...

Mine was broken all the way through, and like said their all different.