PDA

View Full Version : shifter oops!

togup
10-15-2009, 07:11 AM
couple of days ago i finished installing my 460 stroker and i get ready to start it , i go to put it in neutral and realize i over looked a critical component, the shift return spring. Of course i was sick, a complete gasket kit is 60 to 80 bucks not to mention the trouble of tearing down the whole engine all the way to the crank splitting the cases. GOOD NEWS if you take the clutch side case cover off you can take a welding rod put a hook in the end of it fish it through a small triangular hole in the crank case and work the spring back on the gear shift spindle .By the way the honda manual says to completely tear the motor down to splitting the cases. I hope my mistake can help some one because this forum has bailed me out several times.

jasonwayne222
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
well just so you know even tho i wouldnt recomend it. I have gone back with the side case with the old gasket and used a bead of rtv, the red stuff thats used on vehicle oil pans and such, and it has worked fine, no leaks. its no pressurized if im not mistaken, and if it is its not much.

togup
10-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Hey if it works thats what its all about ,you can take those case covers off pretty easy its just those case halves that are a pain