PDA

View Full Version : these things go through cranks like hell!

spencer_shinn
10-15-2009, 12:32 AM
makes me sad.. ive gone through 2 cranks this past summer.
each time i had a complete rebuild done. whats the deal??..:confused:

DEERCHOOPER
10-15-2009, 02:51 AM
what type of crank and bearings did you put in it?

wckedclownz69
10-15-2009, 05:50 AM
and is it the bearring in the crank or the bearrings outside the crank...

duke416ex
10-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Also, what oil?

10-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Unbalanced? Just maybe

fastredrider44
10-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Do you change your oil very much? Time to fire the mechanic? I beat on my 05 everytime I get on it, but I've only put one crank in it.

DEERCHOOPER
10-15-2009, 04:33 PM
ive had about 35- 40 racing hrs on mine (1 yr) with no problems. i did a winter rebuild and put another stocker in with the updated bearings and got this year on it as well. i replaced the crank because of all the busted motor topics ive read on the forums from crank bearings/ cranks going boom.

Jason Hall
10-15-2009, 04:41 PM
The first crank I Installed In a 05 was siezed up on the big end. I was the second guy to put a crank In this engine within 4 months. Once I tore It down I found that the previous mechanic never cleaned the pickup screen from the first MAJOR crank falure. This poor engine was PACKED with metal everywhere. I suggest you have someone who will be certain to clean every spec of junk from the engine before re-assembling It.

MossboysRacing
10-15-2009, 04:47 PM
be sure you replace the oil cooler. it is often overlooked and can store metal inside it and release it back into your fresh oil, you can try to flush it but the only way really get it all out is to replace it.

44oEX
10-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Had the same crank in for 4 years. On mine and a friend. They just let go now.

Your doing it wrong

smw450r
10-16-2009, 07:54 PM
got the same problem with my 450r my crank bearings just went bad i just installed a hot rods crank about 5 months ago also everybody is talking about the updated bearings where can i order some? And also sould i send my crank off and get it balanced?

Ruf Racing
10-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by smw450r
got the same problem with my 450r my crank bearings just went bad i just installed a hot rods crank about 5 months ago also everybody is talking about the updated bearings where can i order some? And also sould i send my crank off and get it balanced?

Service Honda has the bearings. Yes to the HR crank balanced.
Hot Rod cranks are poorly balanced from the factory. The better
your parts are harmonized, the longer the engine will last. :macho

ppeengines
10-19-2009, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Jason Hall
The first crank I Installed In a 05 was siezed up on the big end. I was the second guy to put a crank In this engine within 4 months. Once I tore It down I found that the previous mechanic never cleaned the pickup screen from the first MAJOR crank falure. This poor engine was PACKED with metal everywhere. I suggest you have someone who will be certain to clean every spec of junk from the engine before re-assembling It.

I am an engine builder and I just cant see how a mechanic didnt clean out the metal shavings when he had the motor tore down. THATS INSANE!! Its not like he couldnt see it and the screen is one of the most important things to clean!! I recommend to all of my customers that you do a twice a year cleaning of your pickup screen for these and eveery other motor.
Also I have had aftermarket cranks that are new still need to be trued that were out of specs. I have one rider running an 04 for the past 4 years still on the same crank that has been trued to specs without a problem except he wanted new engine bearings replaced every winter.
Maintenance is the key word.
Best of luck to you guys

smw450r
10-19-2009, 05:30 PM
wiseco is coming out with the new crankshaft 11/20/09 what sucks but there selling it for 129 heres the site http://www.hotrodsproducts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cProducts.list&ipageno=5