PDA

View Full Version : What Tires and Wheels for mx

06 Honda 450R
10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I might try racing mx next year so what tires and wheels should i buy, also what sizes should i buy

slightlybent47
10-14-2009, 11:52 PM
You can start with ITP hole shot! I use 18x10x8 rear and 20x6x10 for the front. There cheep and they last fairly well.

MXR6 for most tracks and SX for hard pack.

Just remember that if you are going to race you will use more tires than you do just ridding.

I use about three sets on the back and one set one the front per year. And that’s about 10 races at two motos per race plus practice on Saturday.

If you put a lot of money in engine mods to go fast but run worn tires then you defeat the purpose for all the engine mods.

If you just want to race and have fun then you can run one set for one season.

Try a set and let'er rip!!!!!

racerx573
10-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Douglas (DWT) offers a nice race kit of all 4 wheels.

I like the Razr MX's they tend to last a little longer.

18x11x8 rears.
20x6x10 fronts.

06 Honda 450R
10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
2 questions, why not run 18s in the fronts and 9 or 10 inch wheels in the back

slightlybent47
10-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 06 Honda 450R
2 questions, why not run 18s in the fronts and 9 or 10 inch wheels in the back

Don't know about that but everyone runs the front two inches larger than the back.

They even come from the factory that way.
Not sure why but I suspect it had something to do with handling.

When I dropped from the stock size to the ITP's the increase in handling was very noticeable. By dropping the tire size two inches you will need to change the rear sprocket from a 39 tooth to a 37 tooth to compensate for the tire size. If you have engine mods and have more power then go with the 36 tooth sprocket. If stock then stay with the 37 tooth.
Yes I know everyone wants to change the front because it’s cheaper but you don’t have the gearing flexibility that you do by doing the back.

I also like the ITP Baja T-9 rimes. There cheep and work well for MX.

For novice racing you don't need bead locks there a waste of money.
If and I say that not knowing your ridding skills or level you do have a tire come off the rim then think about the bead locks then.

I’ve been using ITP Baja T-9’s and I have had no problems with the tire coming off.

I run 10-12 Lbs in the front and 7-10 in the back depending on track conditions. This keeps the tire from rolling in the corners and reduces the side wall flex. I also rotate them after every race to keep the wear even.

You want to drop the tire presser some on the hard pack as this will keep the tire surface flat and give you better traction.

Hope that helps.

10-15-2009, 02:18 PM
i run itp bajas on the back (8x8) with 18 inch tires and 20's up front. with maxxis razr's

MX450
10-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Pick you up a DWT Champion in a Box set of wheels, Maxxis razr cross fronts 20in, and razr mx rear 8in. cant go wrong w that setup and good prices too!

10-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by MX450
Pick you up a DWT Champion in a Box set of wheels, Maxxis razr cross fronts 20in, and razr mx rear 8in. cant go wrong w that setup and good prices too!

X2 best bet...

If you dont get that, make sure you get beadlocks for the back you will regret not buying them if you dont.

liljhall09
10-16-2009, 01:55 PM
x3 wit the razor cross and razor mx

motofreak2772
10-16-2009, 04:04 PM
beadlocks in the front arent important but I would suggest getting them for the back. Spend the little extra money now and you wont have to worry about it later. The important thing about the rims and tires are the size and like everyone said for the front 20 inch tire with a 6x10 inch rim(the most common offset would be 4-1) and for the back 18 inch tire with 10x8 inch rim. Tires are all about preference but a good tire to start with is the itp holeshot mxr6 or the razr mx's(or any other tire that has that similar tread pattern) Once you get more into racing you can play around with various tires.
Here is that champion in the box set by DWT:
http://dwtracing.com/products/atv/alumilite/RACE+KIT+1

Thats a really good deal right there but again its all preference and you could get what ever brand you like(HiPer and ITP are also good choices).

Hope that helps you out and good luck racing.