PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had problems with robbers?

rodeo#11
10-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Hey guys! well over the weekend my girls house got broke in to.. thank god she wasn't there though! They must of been scouting out her house or something. They knew exactly where the spare key was and was able to break in without any damage.. Scary part was is she was with me that night at the movies then when we went into her house the lights we had left on to make it look like we were home were shut off...front door wide open...side door wide open... these doors all have deadbolts on them. But i immediately shot back to my truck where my handy pistol was located and checked out her house. The only thing i found was a jewelry box busted open and laying on the bed.. we must of got home while they were there and they rushed out... This got me to thinking my girls car was in the drive way and the lights were on.. maybe they weren't there for jewelery or anything but maybe for her....Just when i thought i lived in a half-way descent neighborhood this happens. I've took the following precautions so far to help protect her.... Got her a .22 rough rider 6 shot pistol..She brought over her dads german shepherd lol but i want to get a security system on that house... anyone suggest anything affordable?? just gotta keep her safe till i get my stuff moved in... then i highly doubt anyone would come near that house lol

10-14-2009, 08:21 PM
you bought her a gun, now can she shoot it? Thats the real question. if you pull a gun on someone you better be damn sure your getting them on the 1st shot because they might have better aim. My suggestion is never hide a spare key somewhere near your house. Then once the spare key location is revealved you have to change it up lol. Since they used a key to enter theres really no telling what to reinforce so to say to prevent it from happening again. Alarm systems do work, when you remember to set them.

rodeo#11
10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
oh she knows how to shoot she came from a military family lol i think she is better than me sometimes.... but ill never admit it ;) and yea were gonna change out locks and stuff... but what worries me is if we do install a security system i know she will forget to set it... so im hesitate about the idea.

mxduner
10-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Is there any reason someone would come for "her"? how long have you known her? don't take it wrong but i would look into her past a little, that might help you figure the motive behind this crime.

rodeo#11
10-14-2009, 09:04 PM
we've been together for years... and i've know her since freshman year in highschool.. but she does have some shady backwoods neighbors so i mean idk they may not of been coming for her per say and just knew she wasnt there... but still i dont like the idea

tp300ex
10-14-2009, 09:20 PM
if u get her an alarm they have remotes for them that u can put on your car keys so its really easy to turn it on....you could get her one of those birds that make alarm sounds hahaha

rodeo#11
10-14-2009, 09:37 PM
lol gonna have to get her something...but she is a strong girl so i dont have to worry about her to much...she isn't the kind to crawl in a corner and cry.. she will kick ***** till she cant no more lol but yea a remote with one would help alot

DOUG_LONGISLAND
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Sounds like it was someon familiar with the house. Maybe a past friend or something. Most people wouldn't scout for long enough to know where the spare key is, leave the rest of the house fine, and go right to the jewelry box. Really fishy.

Get her a mossberg 500, that way theres no missing

tri5ron
10-14-2009, 09:59 PM
a couple of things rub me wrong here. protecting yourself with a gun can very well work against you in many ways.

don't get me wrong , I'm by no means against guns, and am experienced and proficient with pretty much all types. I have both looked down the barrel of a loaded gun being pointed at me, And I have drawn my own against 2 different human beings.

pulling the trigger when you are scared or startled can be harder than you may think.
Even when you are trained and practiced to do so.

You NEVER pull a gun on someone just to scare them.
Trust me, they are at least as scared as you are, and they also know that they are about to be shot.
Bad things can happen at that point, and that's not even considering they may not have come alone.

secondly, if you DO choose to arm yourself, you need to be mentally prepared in advance, to shoot them, and deal with the consequences. there are no second chances when a firearm is involved.
It's not like in the movies.

and third-ly, IF, after you consider, and practice all of that,...
a .22 is about the worst choice caliber for self protection.

Consider that a robber is likely to weigh somewhere between 150 to 250 lbs.
.22's are for Rabbits and Squirrels, NOT Deer or Pigs.

when you are shooting game, you use an appropiate caliber, and cartridge to drop that game in a single shot. same rule applies to anything you need to drop quickly.

in other words, using a pea-shooter on a bear, will more than likely result in just pissing off the bear, and you getting your head ripped off.

at the same time though, you dont use a Bazooka on a mouse.
look closely at what the police use as department issued weapons.
They don't use .22's, ...and they dont use .50 cal.

the best thing to do when choosing a firearm, is to go to a range with experienced people to fire various guns, of different types, different calibers, and cartridges, to find what you are capable of safely handeling, and will serve your intended purpose.

Knowledge is power, practice is perfection.

SRH
10-14-2009, 10:57 PM
ive had a kx 250 and 250r trike stolen ever since ive been paranoid, surveillance cameras etc...but since i got hurt i can kick *** anymore i think im gonna get my pistol permit....any good recomendations...what about a 50 cal desert eagle? :p my buddies say that would be more dangerous for me than the intruder ....any recommendations on a pistol? everyone tells me a 45 is ideal

400exrider707
10-14-2009, 11:02 PM
They make deadbolts that lock automatically every single time you close the door, with a number pad on the outside for a code of your choice.

You leave the house through the front door, it locks by itself, nothing to remember, you come home, just punch in a combination and wha-la, you're in the house, no key to hide and no trying to remember to lock it up.

gncc025
10-14-2009, 11:27 PM
A nice tactical 12 gauge pump and a dog is what i would set her up with. No more spare keys kept outside either.

Guy400
10-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Whoever did this knew this house and had been in it before. A random burglar would've ransacked the house looking for whatever he could find, not go straight to the proper bedroom and open a jewelry box.

tri5on is right about the gun. There is an extreme responsibility to owning a gun and you better be well-aware of how/when to use it.

As far as cheap alarm systems go. Do you have cable in your area? I know Time Warner offers a simple system for like $20/month and you can talk them into free installation quite easily. It can also be set to auto-arm at a set time so in case she forgets before going to bed or something it will arm itself.

Guy400
10-15-2009, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by SRH
ive had a kx 250 and 250r trike stolen ever since ive been paranoid, surveillance cameras etc...but since i got hurt i can kick *** anymore i think im gonna get my pistol permit....any good recomendations...what about a 50 cal desert eagle? :p my buddies say that would be more dangerous for me than the intruder ....any recommendations on a pistol? everyone tells me a 45 is ideal A sawed off shotgun is most ideal in home defense but make sure the barrel length meets your state's regulations. Sawed off shotgun without a tight choke means you can aim down a hallway a couple feet to the right or left of a target and you're at least going to wing him. But, if you want a pistol than a .45 is great. Ton of knockdown power.

I'd only use the Desert Eagle boar hunting or something...:p

wckedclownz69
10-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Should get that dog that looks like a lion from that guys shop... LMAO

Ichoptop
10-15-2009, 08:01 AM
someone tried to break into my house two weekends ago. They tried to pry both the front and back doors open. The back door had the jam messed up pretty good so I bought a few 8" sections of heavy walled 1"X1" steel tube and made a frame that the outside of the door rests against. Its held in with a series of 3" lag bolts that a tackwelded after installation. I also welded a new striker plate to the frame for the deadbolt. Made it out of 1/4" plate and inset it into the door jam since it was pretty jacked. Its held in with a series of 4" screws. It may be overkill but I dont live in the nicest neighborhood and work long shifts so my girlfriend is home alone a lot. So, We went to the mountains and I taught her the ins and outs of the sawed off 12 gauge I keep in the house. The nice thing is that I loaded it with the first 2 rounds being duck and pheasent shot. At 20 feet it will tear a human up pretty bad but I will be able to spackle the holes in the walls. After that is 00 buck for 2 round and the rest are 3" mags. The best way to teach her how to shoot it was not to aim but to just point.

the bad part is, now when I get home late I call her from the driveway so I dont get shot coming in the back door.

Guy400
10-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
someone tried to break into my house two weekends ago. They tried to pry both the front and back doors open. The back door had the jam messed up pretty good so I bought a few 8" sections of heavy walled 1"X1" steel tube and made a frame that the outside of the door rests against. Its held in with a series of 3" lag bolts that a tackwelded after installation. I also welded a new striker plate to the frame for the deadbolt. Made it out of 1/4" plate and inset it into the door jam since it was pretty jacked. Its held in with a series of 4" screws. It may be overkill but I dont live in the nicest neighborhood and work long shifts so my girlfriend is home alone a lot. So, We went to the mountains and I taught her the ins and outs of the sawed off 12 gauge I keep in the house. The nice thing is that I loaded it with the first 2 rounds being duck and pheasent shot. At 20 feet it will tear a human up pretty bad but I will be able to spackle the holes in the walls. After that is 00 buck for 2 round and the rest are 3" mags. The best way to teach her how to shoot it was not to aim but to just point.

the bad part is, now when I get home late I call her from the driveway so I dont get shot coming in the back door. LOL...better safe than sorry.

I remember when our quads got stolen a long time ago. We wound up putting 1/4" plate around the man door and barring it closed with a 1-1/4" pipe and a padlock from the inside. Then on the garage door we devised a switch that went to a siren off a fire station that we wired up (a friend of ours was a fire chief). If that garage door opened when it was armed you'd hear it screaming from 2 miles away :devil:

rodeo#11
10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
thanks for all the input guys..tri5on i get were your saying when it comes to being mentally prepared. But if i'm there and someone even tries to enter that house i got no problem put a bullet in someones *****. With my law enforcement training fixing to kick in real soon, i need to be mentally prepared anyways. And as far as she goes, well i have faith that she could do what she needed to do. But ill def look into the time warner thing. Thanks for all the help guys!

mxduner
10-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
but I will be able to spackle the holes in the walls. Don't forget the kilz for the stains:blah:

SRH
10-15-2009, 11:39 PM
i thought about the shot gun but im worried id shoot myself carrying the gun and pushing the chair , the pistol i could tuck on my side, does a 45 have alot of kick?

tri5ron
10-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by SRH
i thought about the shot gun but im worried id shoot myself carrying the gun and pushing the chair , the pistol i could tuck on my side, does a 45 have alot of kick? yes a .45 can have a fair amount of kick, (Recoil).
Of course than can vary depending on what kind, what brand, and what model of pistol, (revolver vs. autoloader),(Colt, S&W, Kimber, Sig, Tarus, Thompson, Ruger, etc.),you are putting it through.
As well as what weight bullet, and what powder charge you are pushing it with.

There are many things to consider when choosing a handgun.

A revolver will generally have more recoil than a auto loader, when firing the same comparable round.
One thing to also keep in mind for a self defence weapon, is that a revolver will generally be more dependable and no chance of jamming, in a moment of emergency.

here's some good reading...
http://www.prlog.org/10374210-firearms-trainingnew-state-of-the-art-tactical-firearms-training-facility.html

http://theboxotruth.com/index.htm

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgun_defense.htm

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/Puckett/firstgun.pdf

http://www.shoot-n-iron.com/self-defense-handgun-firearms-articles.asp

Guy400
10-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by SRH
i thought about the shot gun but im worried id shoot myself carrying the gun and pushing the chair , the pistol i could tuck on my side, does a 45 have alot of kick? My .357 Blackhawk has more kick than the Colt 1911 or Glock 21.

exrider12
10-16-2009, 03:54 PM
My brother used to live in Boston, MA. Southy, anyone who knows boston it isnt a safe part of it. His condo was broken into twice.

He got fed up with it and got his LTC. He bought a Glock 45 and Glock 50. Carries the 45 and the 50 is home defense. These guns are bad ***.

I dont think anyone has come back since he got them:D