PDA

View Full Version : backfire

Old Head
10-14-2009, 03:51 PM
This is not a jetting issue unless the jets are clogged. The bike has been sitting awhile so i get a new battery and she won't start. I can smell the old gas so i get some fresh stuff in there. Starts then dies right out. So I pop the bowl off and there is some jelly looking stuff in there. Clean it out spray some carb cleaner put it back together. So the float sticks and over fills the bowl. Tap it and it stops. I get it started but will only stay running at half throttle and with the choke on. Choke off it will run but back fires both out the carb and the exhaust. Ran fine before all this, so my guess is i'm gonna have to break it down and rebuild the carb.

atv fan 28
10-14-2009, 09:50 PM
you should take the carb apart and clean it THROUGHLY! take your time and make sure there is no trash at all in it! and replace your inline fuel filter if you have one.

audioworks04
10-14-2009, 11:16 PM
If there is gel in our your bowl I can promise you there is also some in all the places you dont want it in your carb. Take your carb off and clean it very very good. When you think its clean do it all over again. Make sure to pull the jets and everything you can get out of it when you do this. Make sure to check the neddle and seat and clean it very well. While you have the jets out either replace them or run a small wire through them to make sure they are free of crud. Drain that tank again and clean it out with some clean gas, slosh it around for a bit then dump it back out. Clean the fuel filter in the tank if it has on and change the external one if it has one. If it has neither add an external one. Clean or replace your fuel line it shoulnt be more than 18inches so not gonna brake the bank if you buy new.
Now that everything is clean change the plug and check the spark plug boot and replace if necessary.
If it has been sitting for over a year then change the oil and the filter.
Check the air filter if its cleanable then clean it if its not and looks very bad then replace it.

I know it seems like alot but better to take care of it all at once while you have some appart so then you know youve checked everything and can move on to electronics of seals.

Hope this helps.

smw450r
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
another bit of advice is that when your gonna store your bike for a while cut off the fuel valve and let it run out of gas it will keep your carb clean and if it sit's for along time drain the fuel from the tank and and new