PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating/painting the frame?

250Renvy
10-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Has anybody powdercoated their frame? Does it bond well to the aluminum and how is it holding up?

What about paint? I'm curious to see pictures of painted Monster energy KFX's after some riding.
Does it just rub off, or is it pretty durable?

I'm thinking if my project works out I'd like to paint/powdercoat my frame a dark blue color but I'm not sure if it bonds as well to aluminum as steel or if the heat treating will actually weaken the frame.

Any comments/pictures?
Thanks

MtnEX
10-14-2009, 05:56 PM
I'd say it grabs fine.

Wheels have been powder coat a long time, as have bolt-ons such as bumpers and nerfs.

With paint, you have to use a self-etching primer or something... else it will flake.

I do not like the colored frames that much.
I like showing off that it's all-aluminum.

DEVINF450R
10-16-2009, 09:41 AM
I think anodizing it would look awesome and its much stronger than PC

10-19-2009, 10:20 AM
We Powdercoated our teams race bikes last winter and they held up great
Anodizing is great stuff. but alot of chemicals eat away at it and it would look like crap by the end of a season.

spanky101
10-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Between the chemicals and other factors the anno would fade. Also with anno, how well it comes out is also dependent on the quality of material that is being annodized. I have owned several high end paintball guns that have varied in grades of aluminum used and they all wear differently.

hendershot106
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
i helped do the white/black kfx450r in this forum last winter.... pc holds up great on frame no problems.... and team monster kawi used a flat black or matte black on there frames all year and it always looked good.... any good powdercoater can do it no problem!!!