PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a 250r...

monkeydude36020
10-14-2009, 11:26 AM
I have been looking at some 250rs recently. I have a 400ex Im rebuilding right now and I want a second quad to start teaching my gf to ride. She has a 3 year old that I will probably have on quads in a few years so I figure she needs to start learning too. Just out of curiosity will a stock 250r be any more forgiving than a modded 400ex for a beginner? The reason Im not buying her a 300ex or something is because I know that later on down the line when she learns how to ride good shes going to want something faster. And I know I will get enjoyment out of the 250r myself :) I have never actually rode a 250r but I have rode a few 2 stroke dirt bikes so I know how it could kinda suck for a beginner when it hits the powerband. What do you guys think? Will she live? Should I yack the 250 and let her learn on the 400? lol

oachs83
10-14-2009, 11:29 AM
You would be better off giving her the 400ex and you ride the R. A 250r is not a beginner quad as you have to let it rev and use the powerband. If she is just going to put around you will be going threw more plugs and the engine will not like it at all. Maybe look into a 250X as it is still a great quad just a little more mild and forgiving.

monkeydude36020
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Isnt a 250x a 4 stroke? Either way I still want to invest in a 250r eventually. I may just let her ride the 400 if I get one.

oachs83
10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Yes the 250x is a 4 stroke. If you want to invest in one anyways then go get it. I have a 660r and Z400 and when I bought my first 250r it brought me back right to the old dirtbike days and I have not touched my 4 stroke quads since. They are just so much fun. Keep the maintenence up on them because they need it and you will have a solid quad.

monkeydude36020
10-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Well I talked to the old lady and shes down with ridin on my 400 until she gets the hang of it. Then I guess if I want a 250r I gota get pink plastics for it :mad: Lol otherwise she dont want it. Either way if she can learn how to ride good enough to get on the 250r and chew everyone at the ridin park, shes a badass. I just hope she can handle the 400. Its got a 11:1 piston in it now and I ordered a hotcams stage 2 cam last night. Im going all out with the ignition and fuel too so it should be a pretty fast quad when its done. A 400ex is fast anyway to a beginner.

86 Quad R
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
that'll be a smooth move for you to get a 250r en let the ole lady have the 400ex. once you get the hang of the R and learn how to ride it you'll be hooked like a junkeeee! :D

woodsracer144
10-17-2009, 08:00 PM
i dont want to be an *** hole... but if she hasnt rode much i think i would keep that 400ex as close to stock as i could... i like to mod things as much as the next guy but a 400ex is wicked fast with a stock motor and a 39 or 40 mm FCR on it... my friend had one... and on top of that i know a stock 400ex has a very good luggin band... not saying that it wouldnt be there with it modded... but my buddys had has a 99 440ex and that thing is really bad... you cant lug that at all... they had a 416 and a 400stock as well and the 400 stock was the best lugging one to me... one way or another have fun... and the 250r will be really fun... i dont know what you want and how much you want to spend but i got a 250r with alot of bells on it.. pm if you want more information...

atv fan 28
10-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
that'll be a smooth move for you to get a 250r en let the ole lady have the 400ex. once you get the hang of the R and learn how to ride it you'll be hooked like a junkeeee! :D i traded my 400EX for a R and have not regretted it at all!! the EX was a great bike but the R is so much better as long as you know how to ride it. but put your your old lady on the EX if you do get an R!

rigger
10-18-2009, 08:22 AM
My wife has ridden plenty of bikes and atv's and she is pretty good on them. I have her a 400EX that has just the normal mods and I have an R for myself. She has ridden it once and she likes a 2-stroke but she did not really like my R. So she stays on the 400EX and I ride the R. That way I also have the 400EX when I want to as well. So I have the best of both.

If she is happy with the 400 then get the R and you can have two really good machines.

You are just going to have to talk her out of that pink plastic thing.

IcutMetl
10-18-2009, 08:43 AM
I've also had both; and while I haven't ridden a 400ex in a long time, I can honestly say you won't go wrong with either. In my opinion, the 400ex can cater to a wider group of people- it's mild enough for someone who's ridden but doesn't have a lot of experience, but wild enough for a person who likes things more interesting. While still super easy to control, reliable, and easy to work on, I think the 250R demands more rider respect. It's like taking a 400ex and adding some handling, shedding some weight, removing a little tractability, and bolting on a big shot of adrenaline. I would love to have my 400ex back, but if I were in your position, I would have to agree with the rest of these guys- make the 400 your wife's, and find a nice 250R for yourself.

Good luck!