PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding your own shocks??

blacknblue#2
10-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Well i have been reading the how-to article in dirtwheels several times to see if im ready for this and i think i can do it. My race quad has elkas all around it and they need rebuilt. They were built for me and i havent gained any weight so the valving is goo i just want to freshen them up. Who all does this on their own? Before i tackle my elkas i have quite a few stock rear shocks laying around that i am gonna practice on just to be sure i got it. I dont care if i junk them for any reason or mistake. So what kinda hints can you guys give me on this.

protraxrptr17
10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
It's really not that bad. I think that most shock companies want you to think it's some kind of magic that involves millions of dollars worth of special tools. The only thing you really need that most people don't have is a nitrogen bottle, regulator, and the special fill valve that lets you disconnect from the shock without loosing any pressure. The reservior is so small that any little bit that escapes makes a big difference. Just make sure you get all the air out and get the right amount of oil in it. I revalve mine at the track inside my trailer all the time. It's easy once you do it a few times.

deathman53
10-18-2009, 07:43 PM
it shows you how to do it in the nov dirtwheels and dirtbike.