PDA

View Full Version : best air filter?

jasonwayne222
10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Whats the best air filter to run with no air box lid.

Ya im sure their is a hundred threds on this already but oh well its not like u have anything else to do other than read this so please no negative responses.

tri5ron
10-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222
Ya im sure their is a hundred threds on this already but oh well its not like u have anything else to do other than read this so please no negative responses.

I would'nt count on that :rolleyes:

wykyd450R
10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
A clean and properly oiled one. :D

I like foam the best.

VTredneckgames
10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
omg! you ever tried to search?

j/k but seriously it would have taken you 1 second to find the huge threads on this.

BUT, K&N and UNI style is your choice. (other then stock)

Largest majority goes with the UNI. Some people love K&N and have no problems. Others hate K&N. No hate for the UNI though.

So

K&N has ups and downs based on peoples opinions, experience

UNI is all ups.

you make the call

end thread

jasonwayne222
10-14-2009, 10:04 AM
well im runnin a new stock filter with no airbox lid with all the mods i have listed. and i was wondering how much difference a uni filter would make. and with the lid off should i be runnin an outwears sock over the filter

b.lee
10-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I've never owned a quad without a K&N airfilter.
Never had an engine let go due to unfiltered air.

K&N only.

10-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by b.lee

K&N only.

x2, I have tried UNI and switched to K&N. Much better IMO.

katch26
10-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by b.lee

K&N only.

yep......last ride the freshly cleaned oiled uni took in more dirt than K&N....results vary but I prefer the K&N

hypersnyper6947
10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by VTredneckgames
omg! you ever tried to search?

j/k but seriously it would have taken you 1 second to find the huge threads on this.

BUT, K&N and UNI style is your choice. (other then stock)

Largest majority goes with the UNI. Some people love K&N and have no problems. Others hate K&N. No hate for the UNI though.

So

K&N has ups and downs based on peoples opinions, experience

UNI is all ups.

you make the call

end thread

^^Well said sir well said

UNI ALL THE WAY, from a previous k&n user, never will again

Shawthy33
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
I use uni....

jasonwayne222
10-14-2009, 11:26 AM
i think im gonna go uni but should i use an outwear sock over it because i ride a lot of dusty trails and i run with the lid off.

Also I was thinking about stretching a couple of panty hoses over the top of the box to act as a prefilter.

what yall think of that idea

katch26
10-14-2009, 11:34 AM
you could try it but you really need to see what an actual outerware looks like compared to what youre talking about. The outerware material is much finer than you think it is if youre looking at using stretched pantyhose

F-16Guy
10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
If you run a K&N, you have to be very careful when cleaning it. If you don't want to take the time to clean in correctly, then buy a UNI.

As far as your riding conditions go, I would do what I did to mine: Get a 2 1/2" hole saw and drill a series of holes in the lid and sides of the airbox. Then get a sheet of foam filter media from Lowes or Home Depot and glue it over the holes from the inside of the box. The foam filter media is pretty course, so it pre-filters the air before it gets to your filter, and it rinses out easily with the hose when you wash your quad. I have several holes on each side of my airbox and the lid. It allows me to run the lid with very little restriction. I lived and rode in AZ and Southern Nevada for many, many years, and it makes a huge difference from running no lid.

grassman
10-14-2009, 11:47 AM
I use a uni because its easier to clean... k&n filters are hard to get mud out of... not like Im muddin it or anything but without a lid your bound to hit a puddle sooner or later...

jasonwayne222
10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Ok well i checked out the outwears website and I bought their airbox cover. its the outwears prefilter material that stretches over the lid and velcros to the side of the air box. Now I wont have to worry as much runnin my airbox lid off and i wont have to cut holes in it andcause restrictions in air flow.

Yall should check it out. Ill post a pic when i get it but the website has no pic.