PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS Rebel XT - lens suggestion for GNCC Race

quadfmx
10-13-2009, 08:59 PM
I have a CanonEOS Digital Rebel XT camera,
I got a good deal on the camera so I bought the kit instead of just the body of the camera. The kit included a EFS 18-55MM lens
It is a good lens for wide angle shots and close distance,
I got a 75-300mm Lens also when my sister sold her camera.
I know I need to learn alot about using the camers and adjusting the settings for the light and setting I am in.
So would you guys mind pointing out some lens I may want to look at?

QuadJunkies
10-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by quadfmx
I have a CanonEOS Digital Rebel XT camera,
I got a good deal on the camera so I bought the kit instead of just the body of the camera. The kit included a EFS 18-55MM lens
It is a good lens for wide angle shots and close distance,
I got a 75-300mm Lens also when my sister sold her camera.
I know I need to learn alot about using the camers and adjusting the settings for the light and setting I am in.
So would you guys mind pointing out some lens I may want to look at?

70-200 2.8
Do you have the dual battery pack on your camera yet?
If not-get it-you will want it .
The battery life on this camera isnt so hot and it will also provide you more leverage since the body is smaller. I got some really great shots with my rebel,its a fun camera!
While the 75-300 is nice to have to start with ,it is doesnt provide the results you will want over time. Invest in good glass for your Sport lense as you can afford to, you will def. see a difference in your work.

This is one of my only pics I still have on my computer from when I had my rebel. The only reason I have kept it was it was my best pan shot I have ever taken . lol :p I also shot it with the 75-300.

Have fun with your new camera!

http://www.pbase.com/image/71819126/original.jpg

QuadJunkies
10-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Another SUPER lense to buy is a 50mm 1.5 from Canon. This lense ROCKS and its CHEAP!

I have a ton of photos using this lense . I use it alot on my kids photos. I dont rememvber right off what I paid but it was something like 60.00. Colors just seem to "pop" when I use this lense, its fun to shoot around flowers and fall foilage.

http://www.pbase.com/image/86866648/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/104737321/large.jpg

quadfmx
10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Quad Junkies - the lens u mentioned what do you use it for, very nice pics, Love the black and white one the background does pop out at you,

I dont have the dual battery pack I will check that out,
So did you like the 70-200 2.8 better than the 70-300?

The sport lens you mentioned, what type of price range are they?

For some reason I think the 70-300 I have is an older one, Do you guys think it would make it less capable than say a new one, It does not have any lens scratches or anything on it.

What cameras do you guys shoot with now? I almost went with a Nikon over this one. I ask because we are getting serious about it and I dont want to really invest in one to find out I need something else. I am in price wise I could upgrade to where I know would be good over finding out after I buy 3 or more Lens.
Just something else I thought I would throw out.
I had also honestly wanted a camera with a faster speed to get nice sequence pics, not that this one isnt oretty dang fast, I went ahead and upgraded the memory card so it's write speed wasnt slowing me down there.
Sorry for asking all these ?'s in 1 post

QuadJunkies
10-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Quad Junkies - the lens u mentioned what do you use it for, very nice pics, Love the black and white one the background does pop out at you,

I dont have the dual battery pack I will check that out,
So did you like the 70-200 2.8 better than the 70-300?

The sport lens you mentioned, what type of price range are they?

For some reason I think the 70-300 I have is an older one, Do you guys think it would make it less capable than say a new one, It does not have any lens scratches or anything on it.

What cameras do you guys shoot with now? I almost went with a Nikon over this one. I ask because we are getting serious about it and I dont want to really invest in one to find out I need something else. I am in price wise I could upgrade to where I know would be good over finding out after I buy 3 or more Lens.
Just something else I thought I would throw out.
I had also honestly wanted a camera with a faster speed to get nice sequence pics, not that this one isnt oretty dang fast, I went ahead and upgraded the memory card so it's write speed wasnt slowing me down there.
Sorry for asking all these ?'s in 1 post
dont be sorry.. thats how we all learn! ;)

The difference between the 300 and the 200 is a big difference. The 2.8 has been very helpful when I shoot indoor events where lighting is not so great . I cant remember what I paid right off hand, but somewhere in the 1200.00 range. Nikon is right up Pappys alley ,he could answer more of your questions on it, I dont know alot about them . Both Canon and Nikon have an excellent line up on there cameras.
What I would do right now is concentrate on getting some good glass,the camera you have will be fine for now. Aside of a smaller bodied camera and it being abit slower than whats newer on the market, you will feel the reward with your photos starting out with a better lense,if you can afford to upgrade . I know it took me awhile to save up for mine. Im still trying to get my wide angle I want and it seems like its always something else that comes first . :ermm: lol

I know own a 40d and Im very happy with having a faster camera.I added an ext. flash as well.
The only thing I wish it has was more focal points.
This shot I took of my Daughters homecoming a few weeks ago .. it was at sun down .

http://www.pbase.com/image/117477611/large.jpg

dankbud42o
10-18-2009, 12:33 AM
your daughter is beautiful :) i mean uugghh great lens!!:huh

QuadJunkies
10-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Thank you :)

quadfmx
10-22-2009, 11:42 PM
thanks QJ one prob i had was some indoor arena cross and the lighting and I had some very very low quality pics
Thanks for the update, and yea your daughter is very photogenic.

QuadJunkies
10-23-2009, 12:54 AM
I tried a few years ago shooting with my 300 lense and it was a joke. lol
You def. need the 2.8 to make arena racing work for your photos and the flash is a huge help as well. The indoor stuff is tough,especially if there is alot of two strokes, HAZE is a PITA to shoot . I shot over 5000 indoor race photos last winter and got alot better at shooting indoors with my flash, but still not exactly what I would have liked. Id love to shoot in a better lit track indoors someday and see what I can come up with .

flht_db
11-01-2009, 06:33 AM
QJ, your pictures are awesome.

I have a rebel XTi, another option for the canon lenes are the aftermarket. While I wanted the canon 70-200 2.8 IS it is not cheap. I went with the sigma lens, 7-200 2.8 is about 50% less. And for what I bought it for it works great. I still need to learn more about the settings of the camera.

flht_db
11-01-2009, 06:34 AM
It's fall ball time

QuadJunkies
11-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Great shots also! I haven't seen the sigma in a rebel before.:) I did buy an aftermarket once and ended up returning it because it didn't work well with my camera. The focus was very slow and wouldn't focus all the way out. Maybe ill have to try the signa next time.

quadfmx
11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
So i ll throw the 300 on ebay and u think the 2.8 is the way to go with the glass cover purchase the better flash?

QuadJunkies
11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
So i ll throw the 300 on ebay and u think the 2.8 is the way to go with the glass cover purchase the better flash?

I wasnt sure I was understanding your question but yes, for now.. I would get some good glass. Maybe even worry about your flash for a little while unless you know you will be shooting in low light alot. Just make sure the lense you are buying is indeed compatible. Most of them are with Canon .

quadfmx
11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
It just seems the people really into it all are using nikon or Different frommt canon

QuadJunkies
11-11-2009, 10:43 PM
WEll do you have the money to start off with a higher end camera?
The skies the limit on cameras right now .. its all in how much you want to spend, but Im telling you for what you are wanting to use it for you will be just fine. Most Photographers will tell you to invest in good glass first and learn from it first.
The XT is a good entry level camera to start off with . When you get used to the XT and manual settings ect.. and you want to step it up a notch you can always shop for a good buy on an upgrade .

quadfmx
11-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Thx for the advice I just didnt want to invest alot into this camera to have to start over with the better camera.

If I was going to upgrade, without getting into sometjing ridiculous what would u reccomend?

QuadJunkies
11-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Thx for the advice I just didnt want to invest alot into this camera to have to start over with the better camera.

If I was going to upgrade, without getting into sometjing ridiculous what would u reccomend?

Im not sure your understanding what Im saying....

you DONT have to invest alot in your current camera,these are things you should be innvesting in on any camera if you want better results.. All the upgrades are things you can use on your XT or in an upgrade at a later time. Regardless of what you buy you will without a doubt need to upgrade your glass or you wont get the results you are looking for -period.
your not investing in your camera, you would be investing in glass that you can use on MANY models . Just make sure you ask when purchasing what all cameras your lenses fit . Most are pretty universal.
I highly reccomend the 40d for the price .Its comes with a decent lense for shooting portait and everyday stuff. Its twice as fast as the XT and works much better with the sport lense . Its much quieter also. I like the larger screen for viewing as well.