PDA

View Full Version : plus 2 vs. plus ?

rigger
10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Rode my R in the woods this past weekend and she got a little tight in some places. Had to slow down a good bit and the wife was pulling ahead of me on her stock width 400EX. It is a plus 2 plus 1 Lone Star Race front end.

I do not want to go down to a stock front end and just wondering if a slightly narrower front end would really make that much of a difference or just ride her wide?

I really do not mind slowing down some, helps keep me from getting hurt. Or at least hurt as bad.

So what are all you guys running in the front when you play in trees?

rockingkfarms
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
+1 Laegers with Hiper 4+1 fronts for XC

250Renvy
10-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by rockingkfarms
+1 Laegers with Hiper 4+1 fronts for XC

So you are basically running stock width?

Rigger: The only thing you can do is to run some 4:1 rims.

The fact of the matter is that +2 up front doesn't really give you an overall wider machine. A stock machine sits 42" in the front and 46" in the rear,
so adding +2 on either side makes it only about an inch wider than the rear overall. I had +2's up front and 4-1 rims and was at 46" up front.

FL-R
10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I run in the woods sometimes with +3s and 3-2 rims, Its fun:D

rockingkfarms
10-14-2009, 12:14 PM
So you are basically running stock width? Rigger: The only thing you can do is to run some 4:1 rims. The fact of the matter is that +2 up front doesn't really give you an overall wider machine. A stock machine sits 42" in the front and 46" in the rear, so adding +2 on either side makes it only about an inch wider than the rear overall. I had +2's up front and 4-1 rims and was at 46" up front.

No, I type worse than I ride. That should have said +2's with 4+1's. That gives you an acceptable width for the woods. Right in the area of most XC ready 450's these days.

rigger
10-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Well she is 48" in the front with out the front end being compressed. I know she gets wider as she compresses in the front. Just like when I am slamming on the front brakes because I do not know if I am going to fit between the trees or not.

The rear is sitting at just under 50" wide. My axle is adjustable so the rear would be no problem to adjust.

I guess off set rims would be the most affordable way to go but would that affect handling at all?

I will probably just ride her like she is for now and give it some time for me to get use to it. It is kind of fun just fitting between the trees and it also slows me down a little so maybe I will not get hurt as bad when I do try to move a tree out of my way.

Guess I might do something with rims when I smash one of the ones I have on it now.

Michael88R
10-14-2009, 07:12 PM
4+1 wheels handle the best. That is 4 in and 1 out.