PDA

View Full Version : piston/cyl. ?

99zq8sdime
10-13-2009, 06:14 PM
What does the service mean in the manuel? I tore my quad down due to it lacking some compression and starting to smoke. I am wanting to just hone the cyl. and re-ring it and put it back together but am wondering if I can. I measured everything out and it is all just under the "service" limit by .001-.0015 on cyl. and piston and I'm wondering if service means I need to bore or what? I don't want to bore it just yet and if I dont how long will it be before it starts smoking again and need to be bored? If I can just ring it should I do timing chain or anything else while I have it apart? If I do have to bore it I'm only going 416, probably stage 1 cam, and probably CRF chain. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

rocky_mtn_honda
10-13-2009, 06:27 PM
if a part falls below the service limit set by the manufacturer, then thats just a fancy way of saying its wasted and needs replaced...how are you measuring your bore? if your just using a caliper, then your only measuring the top and bottom of the jug, and i would take it to the local 'chinist', and 9 times out of 10, the guy will take his dial bore gauge to it for you and measure it for nothing...now what he tells you is a different story, if he's hurting for business...but you need to know for sure your jug isnt worn improperly/warped...and if its not, then just slap a hone job on it and some new rings and call it good...as long as your jugs in good shape and the rings seat good, it shouldnt start smoking for quite some time...5 years maybe more
definately do the crf chain and check the tensioner while your in there, and slap a cam in if you got the money...

99zq8sdime
10-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks, that what I kind of figured but didn' understand why it said service and not just rebuild. As far as checking everything I am a machinist at a metal fab shop and checked the jug at 6 different points around the cyl. and 3 different places down the cyl. As for piston I checked it with a mic. I also checked the cyl. with a Faro arm and the cylinder is +/- less than .0005 and the diameter is 3.349. Think I'm just going to ring it do a chain since I'm in there. I don't really want to spend the money on a cam right now since its so easy to do I'll prolly just wait on the. Thanks again.

rocky_mtn_honda
10-13-2009, 07:15 PM
i'd definately do a hone on it and just buy the OS ring set
but other than that, sounds like you did your homework and your measurements and variances are all good...good luck ;)

b.lee
10-13-2009, 07:48 PM
x2 on the hone
don't skip that, should be cheap.

Or you can buy what you need to do it, if you have a decent drill and a vise.

99zq8sdime
10-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Rocky, I tried on the homework part but was a little worried that it was so close to the "service" tolerance. It just started smoking pretty decent the ride before last and still had 76 lbs compression but wanted to nip it in the bud before it wollered out the cylinder. Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be honing myself. As far as oversized rings, my local Honda shop said I couldn't get oversized rings for it, which I thought was odd because you can for cars. Guess I've got more research to do.

99zq8sdime
10-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Wellll.... I went to get my gasket kit and rings and the guy once again told me they don't have over-sized rings and that by looking at my specs (that I had taken in with me), he said to go 1 size up on my piston and bore it. What gives? Why can I not get a straight answer? Also if I'm going to pay the cash to bore it and buy a new piston I would rather do a 16 kit instead of going just .010 bigger. What should I do?

F-16Guy
10-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Wiseco makes an 85.5mm piston. You should be able to hone the cylinder to size if it's already that close to the service limit.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/4628M08550.html?id=6972RCkj

I have a stage 1 HotCams cam in my quad and I love the power delivery. It pulls like a tractor down low and still revs out a lot better on top. An 11:1 85.5mm piston and a stage 1 cam would be a pretty good combo.

99zq8sdime
10-14-2009, 12:19 PM
You were able to hone .020 out of your cyl. or you had it bored you mean? I'm thinking honing will only remove a couple of tenths of a thousandth.

F-16Guy
10-14-2009, 12:31 PM
No, I have a 416 (87mm). I'm not a machinist, but the final sizing for piston fit is done by honing. What I'm saying is that your cylinder was 85mm when new (ideally). It's now past the service limit for the stock bore. I was thinking that it might be close enough to 85.5mm to hone to size, but I guess it's only at 85.064mm according to your measurement, so that's probably not going to work. In any case, you'll still need to bore it, so that would still be the next overbore. You could go with a 416, but you'd just be wasting material for future rebuilds.