PDA

View Full Version : intakes?? voice ur opinion

mxpimp2000
10-13-2009, 05:21 PM
i just bought a modquad intake adapter and a FCI intake i dont know why i bought both i guess because i got a heck of a deal on them and can always re sale them.

should i run the modquad and sale the fci or keep the fci and sale the modquad?

is there really that much difference in the 2?

quadboy-55
10-13-2009, 05:27 PM
FCI's are deffinatly the best. put on the FCI, sell the mod quad.

the new tube give better gains even greater than that of the Ron-wood and ESR.

i heard that its 3HP more powerful then the ESR intake.

mxpimp2000
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
the one i bought has the bigger core has the inner tube removed for more flow

quadboy-55
10-13-2009, 05:36 PM
you mean the new intake tube?

mxpimp2000
10-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by quadboy-55
you mean the new intake tube?

i guess ur talking about the same thing but the older ones have a insert at the opening where the filter goes on for a taper type flow this one has that removed like the new intakes dont have this when u buy them now. it also came with a super over sized k&n filter that u cannot run in the stock air box

quadboy-55
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
so you've decided not to use the airbox?

mxpimp2000
10-13-2009, 05:50 PM

if i use the FCI i cant unless i get a smaller filter that will fit into the stock box. i may use my box now and then and may not idk yet i hate k&n so idk how long ill keep it like that lol

mxpimp2000
10-13-2009, 05:50 PM

you should buy my mod quad adapter i have or i have 3 uni stock cone filters that use the stock intake cone 1 is brand new and 2 are slighly used

quadboy-55
10-14-2009, 07:52 PM
srry, im buying the new FCI intake. TQS is having a sale in them, 150 for a new one.

but a ProDesign UNI filter fits on the end of the FCI. you should buy one of those.

daddio
10-15-2009, 10:36 AM
The sparks filter also fit's on the FCI and flows better than any other foam filter.

quadboy-55
10-22-2009, 09:08 AM
sweet, thanks Daddio. i'll have to remember that.

YFZLOVER07
12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
i bought a no-toil filter and cut my screens out of the inter filter **** and modded my air box and it pulls so much more and for 50 bucks and it does the same as a FCI

Ride1Rob
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM

the new tube give better gains even greater than that of the Ron-wood and ESR.

I'm doubting you'd see 3hp from adding any intake let alone that much over another. HP gains for intakes can be deceiving because most do them in conjunction with other mods to the motor. (Example) If your bike was completely stock with a HMF exhaust and you added the intake at a later time to replace your stock one I doubt you're gonna see a 3hp gain. Add the FCI in conjunction with a nice port job for example... YES! 3hp at least :) .

quadboy-55
12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
FALSE! did you not see the Dyno of the K&N intake for the YFZ? theres a dyno chart, and on a absolute stock 2008 YFZ you can see a 4.5 HP increse. FCI's are no different. FCI's are around the 3 gain. but more worth it with a 2 HP gain.

Ride1Rob
12-07-2009, 04:49 PM
FALSE! did you not see the Dyno of the K&N intake for the YFZ? theres a dyno chart, and on a absolute stock 2008 YFZ you can see a 4.5 HP increse. FCI's are no different. FCI's are around the 3 gain. but more worth it with a 2 HP gain.

Nope! Didn't see it... Woud be happy to see those #'s though. And your post is confusing to say the least... You say the K&N has a hp gain of 4.5. Then you say the FCI is around 3 but no different than the K&N. 1.5hp is a big difference for an intake. Then you came right back and said the FCI is more worth it because it gives a 2hp gain. What you're saying makes no sense :confused:

Removing the lid and taking the peashooter out of a stock 08 YFZ gives 2hp so in that aspect yeah, you're right. I guess if you take a totally stock intake, stock filter, and lid still on the box, swap it with an FCI, K&N, ESR, etc.. you would see a 4hp gain. Still those #'s are mis leading no matter how you look at it.

Would like to see the link for the K&N?

daddio
12-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Nope! Didn't see it... Woud be happy to see those #'s though. And your post is confusing to say the least... You say the K&N has a hp gain of 4.5. Then you say the FCI is around 3 but no different than the K&N. 1.5hp is a big difference for an intake. Then you came right back and said the FCI is more worth it because it gives a 2hp gain. What you're saying makes no sense :confused:

Removing the lid and taking the peashooter out of a stock 08 YFZ gives 2hp so in that aspect yeah, you're right. I guess if you take a totally stock intake, stock filter, and lid still on the box, swap it with an FCI, K&N, ESR, etc.. you would see a 4hp gain. Still those #'s are mis leading no matter how you look at it.

Would like to see the link for the K&N?

You were not the only one who was confused..........

I do know for a fact, on our built YFZ, that by changing nothing but the FCI intake (from the Sparks intake) and the associated jetting, I gained 2 hp.

quadboy-55
12-07-2009, 06:14 PM
im loosing my mind! what i meant to say was the FCI was more worth it over the K&N intake becasue it is half the price. 200 Vs 400.

and yea, i mean the FCI gives a gain like that WITH removing the lid, and/or box and with the assoceated jetting changes.

what you can do, is go to www.kandnfilters.com and search up YFZ 450 intakes. there is also a pic of the tract, filter and K&N airbox. and a Dynochart.

Ride1Rob
12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by daddio
You were not the only one who was confused..........

I do know for a fact, on our built YFZ, that by changing nothing but the FCI intake (from the Sparks intake) and the associated jetting, I gained 2 hp.

And that's a nice power gain over the Sparks! And I'm sure the Sparks setup is a nice one as he doesn't make junk and does his research/testing. How is the Sparks unit setup?

Ride1Rob
12-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanx for the hookup on the Dyno. But it states there in blue stock setup. That means the stock airbox and all of it's contents were still intact on the 1st dyno run (Baseline stock run). So in reality if someone already has their airbox lid removed and a K&N filter and then replace that setup with the K&N setup he/she's only going to gain a couple hp.

quadboy-55
12-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanx for the hookup on the Dyno. But it states there in blue stock setup. That means the stock airbox and all of it's contents were still intact on the 1st dyno run (Baseline stock run). So in reality if someone already has their airbox lid removed and a K&N filter and then replace that setup with the K&N setup he/she's only going to gain a couple hp.

i think we are a little on the wrong page. when i say bone stock i mean just that (baseline run) so theres your 4.5 HP increase. it can be done.

and like what Daddio said. he gained 2RWHP over the sparks intake with an FCI. it does show the threshold of this mod. wich is what i was originally trying to say.

mxpimp2000
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
i had a modquad kit which is same as the pro flo, sparks, gytr, etc. they all use the stock boot which is restrictive when u compare it to the k&n intake and esp the FCI intake. i never used the mod quad kit because as soon as i bought it (used cheap) i found a dirt cheap FCI intake practically brand new mint cond. so i couldnt pass it up. also the FCI you can run it with an aftermarket rear shock which other kits that require you to change stock boot will however restrict you on the rear shocks you can use. atleast thats what ive heard from others.

since ive went to FCI i would never consider any other intakes PERIOD. they are the best hands down best bang for the buck. IMO. ask RIDE1ROB he has tested alot of products and experienced alot of diff power gains i would ask him for his opinion before i bought some engine upgrades.:D however he did persuade me to get an fci and that was a good choice

daddio
12-08-2009, 07:00 AM
im loosing my mind! what i meant to say was the FCI was more worth it over the K&N intake becasue it is half the price. 200 Vs 400.

and yea, i mean the FCI gives a gain like that WITH removing the lid, and/or box and with the assoceated jetting changes.

The only thing I did was replace the stock intake boot (with the Sparks adapter) with the FCI intake tube. I already had the air box lid off, I kept the airbox itself (we race in a lot of mud) and I even kept the Sparks filter. (I'm still not completely sold on the Gauze style).
So the 2hp gain, was only in the intake tube.

And for the record..... The sparks intake flows more CFM than any other "Billet Adapter".

Ride1Rob
12-08-2009, 08:16 AM
i think we are a little on the wrong page. when i say bone stock i mean just that (baseline run) so theres your 4.5 HP increase. it can be done.

and like what Daddio said. he gained 2RWHP over the sparks intake with an FCI. it does show the threshold of this mod. wich is what i was originally trying to say.

Your posts keep confusing me a little. Is that not what I've been saying all along that the 4+ hp gained is with a completely clogged up inake? Yeah, it can be done but it's not a TRUE 4+ hp gain if you can get 2hp by just removing your lid and replacing the filter with an aftermarket filter and rejet. That 4+hp K&N is claiming drops down to a TRUE 2hp.

As far as what Daddio added: (Read Carefully)
He added he gained 2hp over the Sparks setup by going with the FCI. Didn't know it then, but if the Sparks uses the stock intake boot it's still very restrictive. The problem with the stock boot is the air tumbles because of the stock boots design. This slows the the veolocity of the air through the intake quite a bit. The ESR, Woods, FCI, Fuel Customs, Velocity style intakes solve that problem by creating a better vaccum into the carb and through the intake port with much less restriction. It has less restriction because it has less angles to flow around. So if he gained 2hp with the FCI by ditching the Sparks setup (which again uses the stock boot) how can the FCI be three more hp than the ESR, which is a better setup than the Sparks? This is what I was originally saying from the beginning.

daddio
12-08-2009, 08:49 AM
how can the FCI be three more hp than the ESR, which is a better setup than the Sparks? This is what I was originally saying from the beginning.

I really don't believe that the ESR set up is better than the Sparks for 90% of the YFZ applications. You need to have some velocity for the carb to act correctly at lower RPM's. The ESR is a straight tube, Where the stock YFZ intake is more like a cone.

In WOT situations (Flat track and Drag race), Yes the ESR would be a better choice than the Sparks, but not for the other 90% of YFZ owners.

Bottom line is that on a YFZ, the Fuel Customs intake is better than anything else available for the YFZ.

Ride1Rob
12-08-2009, 09:05 AM
I run the ESR so I can say from experience it's not a topend intake. The Ron Woods setup is basically the same setup other than the bigger filter. The ESR intake gets narrower toward the carb and is angled slightly. It's not a straight tube ;) . Like you said it's velocity of the air through the intake that gives more bottom end torque. If you'd like I'll post a couple pics of the ESR design from inside and out. The FCI setup is bigger at the filter and funnels down and gets smaller. The velocity of the air would speed up quite a bit with this setup and the air may have less interuption and add better hp. But 3hp more??? How much is the FCI claiming over stock?

Daddio, you know just like I do alot of these companies dyno these products for days to get the #'s they like. They try many different setups to acheive the best possible #'s before posting results or dyno info. (Ex) Pro Circuit has released a new exhaust for Pitster Pit bikes. It took them 2 days of dynoing to acheive one hp. That 1hp was with adding a $500 head :eek2: . The average consumer will never see that 1hp for the $300 they'll spend for that pipe.

mxpimp2000
12-08-2009, 10:28 AM
i ditched the fuel customs filter and bought a uni for 06+ trx450r they are 4.5 id. ive never been sold on a k&n just because they let dirt in, they may let .2% more air flow but thats because they have tiny holes in them if u hold it up to the light looking from inside out u can notice this. the foam dosent have a striaght shot hole thru the filter theres thousands of paths in 500 diff directions that will catch even the smallest dust particals when oiled properly. how ever when i were younger say 13 i didnt knw u had to oil them so on my blaster i never oiled the uni on it and never had a problem, thats just y i will always trust a foam

quadboy-55
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
so apperintly we are on the same page. and Velocity is just an adaptor BTW.

and yea, i get what you are saying about the stock intake. there is also a small dent in it to clear one bolt. this makes the inlet very small.

ESR has a new tube, aswell as Ron-woods, but there straight flow designs do not offer the vacuum wich you described.

and i think im going to get the 2006 TRX450R UNI filter for my FCI. even though the FCI has an 8ply filter for more filteration capability.

Ride1Rob
12-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Velocity is just an adaptor BTW.

This is the Velocity intake... Not just an adaptor ;) .

mxpimp2000
12-08-2009, 11:03 PM
i heard velocity breaks but could just be ppls .02 idk first hand about any of them but the adapters and the fci.

the fuel customs filter is 8ply but you can still see the holes when looking thru it inside out. thats what changed my mind when i bought the kit. even with an outerwears i wouldnt run it

Ride1Rob
12-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Personally I've never had any issues with K&N. Here in Florida it is VERY dusty. If you've seen some of my vids you see the conditions we run down here in the summer. I've never found anything in my intake except once and it was from a loose flange. I've heard others say they had issues with K&N letting particles in as well but over the 4yrs I've been using them I've only had the one and it was my error.

daddio
12-09-2009, 07:05 AM

and i think im going to get the 2006 TRX450R UNI filter for my FCI. even though the FCI has an 8ply filter for more filteration capability.

The YFZ Sparks filter fits right on the FCI, and is the best flowing foam filter out there.

In 6 years of using Sparks filters, riding in the sand, dirt, dust, mud and Mt. St. Helen Ash.......... I have never had a speck of anything get past the filter.

quadboy-55
12-09-2009, 04:25 PM
This is the Velocity intake... Not just an adaptor ;) .

http://velocityfilters.com/_mgxroot/page_10773.html

touche LOL.

anyway, i think i'll take Daddio's advice and get a Sparks foam filter for my FCI.

250r4life
12-10-2009, 01:41 PM
wherers the best (cheapest) place to gen an FCI intake right now?

mxpimp2000
12-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life

for a yfz i suppose?they are HARD to find but i got mine over at yfztech forums those guys are big drag racers and theres always stuff like that forsale over there. i got really lucky when i found mine it was mint and got it for 100shipped. theres some on ebay now and then i think i saw one on there for around 150 but im pretty sure someone already snatched it up

quadboy-55
12-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life

right now would be TQS. you need to type in the code "FCI" upon checkout to get a special discount.

http://www.tqsatv.com/

mxpimp2000
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM
right now would be TQS. you need to type in the code "FCI" upon checkout to get a special discount.

http://www.tqsatv.com/

its still $210 before shipping. ebay has them buy it now for $199 you gotta find them tho is the prb

quadboy-55
12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
its still $210 before shipping. ebay has them buy it now for $199 you gotta find them tho is the prb

i got mine for 169.

mxpimp2000
12-10-2009, 05:26 PM
i got mine for 169.

thats a STEAL!!

quadboy-55
12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
yea man. type in FCI.

250r4life
12-11-2009, 03:41 PM
i got mine for 169.

you got yours new from tech quad shop for $169?

250r4life
12-11-2009, 03:44 PM
i just went there and it was 195 each