PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question.. Need Help

Pipeless416
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Sorry for putting this in the open forum. I just need a quick answer.. it'll be deleted as soon as I get it. I'm going to have my frame powdercoated very soon, and I'm wondering what should be done with the serial number when its sand blasted? Will just taping over it do the trick? Thanks in advance.

elite ATV1
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
Sorry for putting this in the open forum. I just need a quick answer.. it'll be deleted as soon as I get it. I'm going to have my frame powdercoated very soon, and I'm wondering what should be done with the serial number when its sand blasted? Will just taping over it do the trick? Thanks in advance.
I dont think taping over it would work because the high PSI that the sand hits the frame would just rip the tape right off. i had the frame on my old dirtbike powder coated and i didnt tape off the vin or anything and it was fine....but you might wanna PM pappy and ask him beings he is the expert and all

Pipeless416
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
yea i kinda figured that would happen with the tape. i was also thinking about drilling two very small holes and riveting a piece of sheet metal over it. i wouldn't worry about it, but the VIN is barely there on Honda frames as it is. it would not take much to accidentally blast it off.

usp4u
10-13-2009, 01:17 PM
just dont blast that part ? wirewheel on a drill.

tri5ron
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Not too sure about how to protect it during the sandblasting.
a little Silicone RTV maybe ?? you could forego the drilling, and just "glue" a strip of metal there.

But you might want to also consider/ask, if the powdercoating will cover the vin number, and make it un-readable.

Just a thought.

Pipeless416
10-13-2009, 04:26 PM
yea for the actual powdercoating i was just going to have them cover it while they apply the powder, and then uncover before it goes in the oven. i think the gluing idea might work pretty well. hopefully Pappy will see this and shed some light.

wckedclownz69
10-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
just dont blast that part ? wirewheel on a drill.

Hes got an idea there....

Pipeless416
10-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by wckedclownz69
Hes got an idea there....

yea, it may come down to that, but i'm just wondering what everybody else does to solve this issue.

Sjorge450R
10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
once its Pc'd the vin is going to be covered. I never had a title for my 300 cause it was lost by the previous owner and when I had to get a title for selling it, I had to bust my *** to figure out what the vin said. Just write it down somewhere and dont loose it. If you have the numbers, then when you are looking at it, it shouldnt be hard to tell. I can read the numbers on my R.