PDA

View Full Version : Autocross

ATVMX33
10-12-2009, 09:07 PM
anyone race autocross at all??...i'm starting too but was wondering what class i should enter? I have a 2000 mustang gt...stock engine but its lowered, also may have a short throw shifter soon..thanks!

10-12-2009, 09:37 PM
check with your organization. I am going to get into it only for fun because once you put on even an intake system your bumped up into the modified and people could have 500HP +.

BakerRacing40
10-13-2009, 02:50 AM
i have a 91 acura integra that i've thought about making into a little road racecar but still never have.. plus kinda trying to sell it too...

goldfish
10-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
check with your organization. I am going to get into it only for fun because once you put on even an intake system your bumped up into the modified and people could have 500HP +.

that is not true, at least for the few organization's I raced with. Here's a link to the SCCA car classifications..

http://moutons.org/sccasolo/index.shtml

Long story short, they are NOT going to bump a 200 hp stock car with an intake into the same class as a 500+ hp car.

ATVMX33
10-13-2009, 09:45 AM
alright, thanks guys

i think i'll try the scca race in hershey pa on the 24th

goldfish
10-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by ATVMX33
alright, thanks guys

i think i'll try the scca race in hershey pa on the 24th

I would highly suggest it. The AutoX community is a great community to get involved with. Everyone is very willing to help and give you pointers to shave a few seconds off your time.

I would also suggest reading a few "Beginners guide to AutoX" sites on the internet just to know what to expect because once you get there it can be quite overwhelming..especially if you are there by yourself.

You really do learn to be a better driver by learning the limits of your car, it will help you out in certain driving situations.

kawi_rider_97
10-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Lots of people AutoX their daily drivers but I don't know if I would... Especially if you don't have a lot of money to fix it.

I was gonna get a BMW E30 or an Impreza AWD and fix it up to autocross with but I don't have the money right now. If I got the Subie I'd swap to WRX, if I got the E30 I'd get the M20 I6 and turbo it.

Both good cheap cars.

goldfish
10-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by kawi_rider_97
Lots of people AutoX their daily drivers but I don't know if I would... Especially if you don't have a lot of money to fix it.

I was gonna get a BMW E30 or an Impreza AWD and fix it up to autocross with but I don't have the money right now. If I got the Subie I'd swap to WRX, if I got the E30 I'd get the M20 I6 and turbo it.

Both good cheap cars.

What exactly are you planning on needing to fix from autocrossing your DD?

I raced my car 3 times and had no issues