PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades for little money.

bryank333
10-12-2009, 08:00 PM
I recently purchased a 2001 400ex and am looking to do some upgrades. It already has nerf bars, swingarm skid plate and front bumper. I was wondering if there was any cheap things i could do to get more performance out of the 400. I am pretty mechanically inclined. I already know about jetting and taking the airbox lid off. Any help would be greatll appreciated.
Thanks, Bryan

trailrider894
10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
well there is the Sparks Advanved Timing Key. that adds some real juice ( i don't have one but have heard numerous accounts of severe adrenaline rushs after adding the timing key. :D ) and a good after market air filter can add some power too. If you are looking at spending a little bit more you can add a 450r carb, a cam, kibblewhite valves, you can bore out the engine to 406cc or 416cc or 426cc. don't go higher than 426cc though after that there is no more power to be gained. Hope that answered your question. if anyone has anything else or would like to correct something i said please do.

odog
10-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
don't go higher than 426cc though after that there is no more power to be gained./B] are u serious!

turbo j
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I heard something about grinding out the factory welds on the inlet to the header pipe. I am building an EX right now and looked at the pipe. It looks like the factory weld would hold back some flow so I am going to open mine up prior to putting it on.

sprayedgt
10-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
don't go higher than 426cc though after that there is no more power to be gained.

You could not be further from the truth. Take it out as far as you can afford to go. There is a ton of power to be had further than a 426. Just make sure you also do the appropriate head porting/polishing and a custom cam.

Miami_Vice454
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
thank you odog!!!! ok good someone else agrees with me. that makes no sense. of course there is more power to be gained

trailrider894
10-13-2009, 06:50 PM
there is no sense in going all the way to a 440 when it is only a horsepower or 2 that can be gained. when you bore out to a 440 the walls of the cylinder get thin and it over heats much faster than a 426. 440 also blows head gaskets often and will be a much greater investment because of all of the heavy duty parts you will be getting. you can get more power out of a 426 with high compression than you can with a 440 that runs pump gas. If you wanna go all out there are 460 stoker kits that people talk about but that is extremely expensive!!!! but if done right can crank more than 45hp. you guys there is power to be had past a 426, but in logical and financial terms it just isn't worth the time and money.