PDA

View Full Version : Engine Ice

matt14c
10-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Went to local dealer today and get some fluids and plugs to get ready for my startup and was going to get engine ice for radiator fluid and the guy told me not to run it. Told me to get some maxima crap. He told me it was meant for sleds and to not run it in my quad. I thought I have seen people use it on here before so why not in an R. I didnt buy anything because I wanted to make sure. Im running a cool head, stock radiator, bored eighty over, wiseco piston. Was that guy just a moron or do i need an aftermarket radiator or lines or something for it?

88redrocket
10-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I run it in my 310, no problems at all. I have a temp guage and it runs around 210 degrees

Colby@C&DRacing
10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
you can use engine Ice :)

coryatver
10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
you can use it but I recommend not doing it it is made of propylene glycol. Read your owners manual it will say use ethylene glycol coolant. Also if you don't get it perfectly cleaned out when you switch to engine ice it will gel up and clog up everything. It also oxidizes and does not work as good as a coolant as ethylene glycol (regular car antifreeze) not to mention it is WAY overpriced.

IcutMetl
10-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Seems to work pretty good in mine; must be a special case. I ran Redline Water Wetter in my ZX10 added to the antifreeze, that helped as well- that thing always ran hot in the city; fan ran a lot less often after the water wetter.

coryatver
10-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
ran Redline Water Wetter in my ZX10 added to the antifreeze, that helped as wel]

I use water wetter also

250rPRIDE
10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
why are you over heating? might have something to do with being 80 over. but my friend runs it in everything from his 450r to rhino streetbike ect.....

matt14c
10-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
why are you over heating? might have something to do with being 80 over. but my friend runs it in everything from his 450r to rhino streetbike ect.....

Never said I was overheating. Im doing a rebuild and thought I should put something in the radiator. I used to run this in my sleds and 450r.

thedeatons
10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Salesman are stupid. Best to do your own research, then go buy something without asking questions or taking questions. Nine times out of ten they only know brands they carry, and some rumor someone's grandad told them years ago.

My latest spectacle of moronicness was when I heard the guy behind a parts counter tell some poor guy that once he went to synthetic oil he could not switch back to petroleum based..... sheesh...

James